JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty much par for the course for any 94 30-30 I have ever had the misfortune to own.
Thats unfortunate.

All of the Winchesters I have owned have been very accurate, with one I have capable of this at 50 yards.

I all fairness however this is with carefully loaded, reduced load ammo.
IMG_1744[1].JPG

IMG_1744[1].JPG

Pretty much par for the course for any 94 30-30 I have ever had the misfortune to own. My advice? Sell it and get an older Marlin.
I was out with a friend shooting a Marlin and he was shooting a lot better than me and thats how this whole project got started. I wonder how many old winchester 94s are out there with crowns as messed up as this was. Im hoping to report a big improvement in accuracy after shooting it tomorrow.

If you haven't yet pulled it from the lathe, I would back cut an additional 20deg crown to break off the edges of the lands going just a few hundredths into the bore, maybe a few hundredths in below the crown, sort of a pre or false crown, and then a final back cut on the outside diameter, which you could do with a fine cut file and stones! The idea behind the additional crown cut at the lands is to "Pre-Vent" the blast gases as the bullet exits the bore, and makes the actual crown more effective!

Let us know how she shoots after all the work! :)

Things happen. I have a 'Marlin' Marlin 444 and it was not as accurate as it should have been. Checked the bore and found that the two front sight mounting screw holes were drilled too deep and left two raised protrusions in the bore. I would say dimples but dimples are concave.

Back then, Marlin had me send it to them and they replaced the barrel N/C. It had been made just after their transition from dovetailed to screwed on front sights, and the tooling needed some adjustment.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top