JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for some help...I have a Yugo SKS M59 that is only "dimpling" the rounds and not firing. I thought it was the bolt and firing pin, so I bought a new complete bolt and installed it...still doing the same thing! Anyway have ideas of what the culprit might be? What I should check next?

I'm thinking maybe a headspace issue, but unsure of how to check that on an SKS.

Other ideas?

thanks.

i'm no expert in sks but maybe a tired hammer spring as import primers are hard

i thinks head space checking is the same as with most others get some gauges and follow instructions

i'm no expert in sks but maybe a tired hammer spring as import primers are hard

i thinks head space checking is the same as with most others get some gauges and follow instructions

Sounds plausible that the hammer spring could be weak, considering he replaced the bolt and no change. If the hammer spring doesn't decompress with enough force, then it conceivably could be strong enough to cause the firing pin to engage, yet weak enough to not hit the primer with enough force for the desired click-bang effect. Try getting spare parts from e-gunparts and replace the hammer spring in the trigger group.

Looking for some help...I have a Yugo SKS M59 that is only "dimpling" the rounds and not firing. I thought it was the bolt and firing pin, so I bought a new complete bolt and installed it...still doing the same thing! Anyway have ideas of what the culprit might be? What I should check next?

I'm thinking maybe a headspace issue, but unsure of how to check that on an SKS.

Other ideas?

thanks.

What ammo did you use? Did you try different ammo?

Unionguy, if you haven't tried Brown Bear ammo, I will sell you a box of 20 rds for $5. That is the only kind I use in my SKS, and I have never had a problem with primer duds.

Was it working before? Is it new to you ? Have you cleaned ALL the Cosmo off?

Your recoil spring installed correctly?

Any changes ? Stock, After market Mags, etc

It could also be bad Ammo - That would be the first thing that I would try was different ammo.

If you can find some commercial 7.62x39 in brass ( Winchester, American Eagle, most of the retail ammo (as opposed to Military ammo) They uses a lot softer primer (i.e. For Ruger Mini-30 and AR with a 7.62x39 upper and even Ak's)

for Example CCI34 Military Large Rifle Primers

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a "slam-fire" can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals prevent this using different techniques and components - including different primer sensitivity specifications - from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specifications that reduce the chance of a "slam-fire" when other factors go out of control*. If you're reloading for a military semi-auto, Look to CCI military primers.

* Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential Use the same data as CCI magnum primers

The problems did all start when I took it out of its wood stock and put it into a Tapco. What could that be doing??

I am using Wolf Ammo and I probably do need to clean everything more thoroughly.

Thanks for those ideas!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR