JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sixty years ago the world got its first look at an AK-47

AK47-and-Bowler-Hat.jpg

Did you know that the AK47 was first ORIGINALLY made of stamped sheet metal, but the technology of the time couldn't produce sufficient strength so they went with a milled receiver, then eventually got it "good enough" and the AKM47 was born.

How's THAT for gun-nerd trivia? ;)

Just a reminder - the dates when the firearm went in production, to the Soviet army - vs - when the world got to see photos of it - are very different.

Also, according to the article, early US intelligence had it identified as a Sub-Machine Gun, and therefore they dismissed it as a credible threat.

The photo at the top is a well known defender - Bowler Hat - and that would be a captured weapon.

On the Hungarian Revolution
Recalling Hungary's Courageous Cold War Revolt

Cool link ... Too bad most folks have never heard of the '56 Hungarian Revolution.
Thanks for posting.
Andy

I suppose the history curriculum has changed since I went to school. I knew all about the uprising as I am sure you did. The Soviet tanks crushing the revolution is ironical in a way as the Soviets were revolutionaries at one time. The only thing to be sure of in a revolution is to be on the side that wins.

Did you know that the AK47 was first ORIGINALLY made of stamped sheet metal, but the technology of the time couldn't produce sufficient strength so they went with a milled receiver, then eventually got it "good enough" and the AKM47 was born.

How's THAT for gun-nerd trivia? ;)

WOW, Stomp! Your the nerdiest!!! :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews