JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...and I always go elk hunting. I decided to get my fat butt in some hiking shape. I know that hiking does not equate to hunting, the walking style is totally different, (don't get me started). But being that I am heavier then ever, and approaching the big 300 lbs (and knowing I should be 240 at biggest), I decided to find some conditioning hikes around home.
Simple Google search and BAM! There it is.
I found 10 hikes near Portland progressing in difficulty. I did the first on last Sunday, and thought life might be over. By Wednesday I could get out of bed without groaning, and on Thursday I knew Saturday would bring Hike #2. I just finished Hamilton Mountain, and that was huge. Over 7 miles round trip, and in the fist 3 miles the gain is 2100' in elevation. Whew!! My legs are tired, the dogs are barking, and I am ready for some ice cream! (joking guys).
Tomorrow off to the beach with the fam, and to see if I can walk all the way to the water.

Watch out Mr. Monster Buck.... Vaultman is going to be ready to hunt hard this year!!!

1st Pic: Hamilton Mountain from a distance (from under BPA lines)
2nd Pic: Getting closer.
3rd Pid: Made it, and there is Mt Adams. (Also can see Hood from here.)
IMG_8900.JPG
IMG_9020.JPG WP_20160702_056 [56695].jpg

Geese man, ease in too it!

I can say from experience that being 60lbs heavy is a good way to blow out a knee or worse.

I'd do shorter hikes more often personally but everyone has their way they like things.

Geese man, ease in too it!

I can say from experience that being 60lbs heavy is a good way to blow out a knee or worse.

I'd do shorter hikes more often personally but everyone has their way they like things.
I really do not intend to do all 10 of those hikes. These first two were tough, and I just plan on doing a bunch of hiking. Even before I did the first one, I thought I would try to do 2 hikes a week, and that is still the goal. The mid-week on would just be a short in town one (like Mt Tabor).
I may be about 50lbs more than I should, but I do stay pretty active. Thanks for the concern and voice of reason. I certainly know my limits, but it does not hurt to be reminded.

Almost 2 months ago, I found myself pushing +20lbs. I was having knee pain, back pain and digestive issues. My wife and I took the step of cutting out ALL carbs and sugar. It was EXTREMELY difficult the first week, especially sugar.... Now two months in I am down 20 and feel GREAT. In fact now that I can eat things that have carbs and sugar, I do not have the urge or desire to go back. Good luck on your journey.

Almost 2 months ago, I found myself pushing +20lbs. I was having knee pain, back pain and digestive issues. My wife and I took the step of cutting out ALL carbs and sugar. It was EXTREMELY difficult the first week, especially sugar.... Now two months in I am down 20 and feel GREAT. In fact now that I can eat things that have carbs and sugar, I do not have the urge or desire to go back. Good luck on your journey.
Thanks MB. I have been eating better too.
Tomorrow is hike #3, Devils Rest. Here we go. At least it wont be as hot as the last two. I think I will skip bringing the big camera with me this time. (The wife and I are into photography as well).

Thanks MB. I have been eating better too.
Tomorrow is hike #3, Devils Rest. Here we go. At least it wont be as hot as the last two. I think I will skip bringing the big camera with me this time. (The wife and I are into photography as well).
Good luck on your journey and enjoy the beauty on those hikes!

#4 is in the Bag. That Nick Eaton trail is full of switchbacks. I counted 28 of them in 2 miles. In that 2 miles, 1950 feet in elevation gain.
On to Dog Mountain next available weekend. Now we are getting serious a almost 3000 feet in elevation gain. Anyone game for early Saturday morning? Like 6.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top