JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...and I always go elk hunting. I decided to get my fat butt in some hiking shape. I know that hiking does not equate to hunting, the walking style is totally different, (don't get me started). But being that I am heavier then ever, and approaching the big 300 lbs (and knowing I should be 240 at biggest), I decided to find some conditioning hikes around home.
Simple Google search and BAM! There it is.
I found 10 hikes near Portland progressing in difficulty. I did the first on last Sunday, and thought life might be over. By Wednesday I could get out of bed without groaning, and on Thursday I knew Saturday would bring Hike #2. I just finished Hamilton Mountain, and that was huge. Over 7 miles round trip, and in the fist 3 miles the gain is 2100' in elevation. Whew!! My legs are tired, the dogs are barking, and I am ready for some ice cream! (joking guys).
Tomorrow off to the beach with the fam, and to see if I can walk all the way to the water.

Watch out Mr. Monster Buck.... Vaultman is going to be ready to hunt hard this year!!!

1st Pic: Hamilton Mountain from a distance (from under BPA lines)
2nd Pic: Getting closer.
3rd Pid: Made it, and there is Mt Adams. (Also can see Hood from here.)
IMG_8900.JPG
IMG_9020.JPG WP_20160702_056 [56695].jpg

Geese man, ease in too it!

I can say from experience that being 60lbs heavy is a good way to blow out a knee or worse.

I'd do shorter hikes more often personally but everyone has their way they like things.

Geese man, ease in too it!

I can say from experience that being 60lbs heavy is a good way to blow out a knee or worse.

I'd do shorter hikes more often personally but everyone has their way they like things.
I really do not intend to do all 10 of those hikes. These first two were tough, and I just plan on doing a bunch of hiking. Even before I did the first one, I thought I would try to do 2 hikes a week, and that is still the goal. The mid-week on would just be a short in town one (like Mt Tabor).
I may be about 50lbs more than I should, but I do stay pretty active. Thanks for the concern and voice of reason. I certainly know my limits, but it does not hurt to be reminded.

Almost 2 months ago, I found myself pushing +20lbs. I was having knee pain, back pain and digestive issues. My wife and I took the step of cutting out ALL carbs and sugar. It was EXTREMELY difficult the first week, especially sugar.... Now two months in I am down 20 and feel GREAT. In fact now that I can eat things that have carbs and sugar, I do not have the urge or desire to go back. Good luck on your journey.

Almost 2 months ago, I found myself pushing +20lbs. I was having knee pain, back pain and digestive issues. My wife and I took the step of cutting out ALL carbs and sugar. It was EXTREMELY difficult the first week, especially sugar.... Now two months in I am down 20 and feel GREAT. In fact now that I can eat things that have carbs and sugar, I do not have the urge or desire to go back. Good luck on your journey.
Thanks MB. I have been eating better too.
Tomorrow is hike #3, Devils Rest. Here we go. At least it wont be as hot as the last two. I think I will skip bringing the big camera with me this time. (The wife and I are into photography as well).

Thanks MB. I have been eating better too.
Tomorrow is hike #3, Devils Rest. Here we go. At least it wont be as hot as the last two. I think I will skip bringing the big camera with me this time. (The wife and I are into photography as well).
Good luck on your journey and enjoy the beauty on those hikes!

#4 is in the Bag. That Nick Eaton trail is full of switchbacks. I counted 28 of them in 2 miles. In that 2 miles, 1950 feet in elevation gain.
On to Dog Mountain next available weekend. Now we are getting serious a almost 3000 feet in elevation gain. Anyone game for early Saturday morning? Like 6.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews