Southwest Firearms Forum
Gun Deals
Defensive Arts
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
RifleClass.com
Sporting Systems
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Side mount rail for AKM and optic choices

OP
Jcon268
Reactions
  • Howdy Y'all
  • Woke Up Like This
No need to apologize, I didn't take anything you said personally. Midwest is a good company, I use and recommend some of their stuff but there better products out there. As for cost, look at how much a Geissele mount is and they are cheap compared to GDI, KAC, Spuhr and Scalarworks
Yeah $200 isn't much for a mount to me when I'm talking about a $900 optic. I use Bobro or Larue mounts on most of my AR equipment.

Reactions
No need to apologize, I didn't take anything you said personally. Midwest is a good company, I use and recommend some of their stuff but there better products out there. As for cost, look at how much a Geissele mount is and they are cheap compared to GDI, KAC, Spuhr and Scalarworks
Oh and MI is a fat pig compared to the RS, so there's that.

Reactions
Yeah $200 isn't much for a mount to me when I'm talking about a $900 optic. I use Bobro or Larue mounts on most of my AR equipment.
I'd recommend an optic specific upper mount, it will be lighter than a pic rail and will position the optic lower on the weapon.

Reactions
The only thing that steered me away from optics up front was being so close to the gas block/piston emanating heat after strings of rapid fire. Obviously that wouldn't be an issue for a tough optic but still something to consider.
It will definitely kill lessor optics, I strictly use Aimpoint Micros on mine, they been fine and have survived carbine classes and some pretty heavy shooting where the rail is hot enough to melt flesh..

Reactions
Ran an Ultimak on my 107 years ago, worked well.
2D194E62-12E4-40AE-9BD2-7048026B2A14.jpeg

Used my friends 101 last month @ PR with a PKAS ( IIRC), wootz load of fun.
BF2507E1-70B0-4DFB-9C67-CEC01750B618.jpeg

I ran my Romy build with irons this month...had a first round hit at 280yds.
E9E5E5FE-4D8F-4BEC-B8EF-72923755E87E.jpeg

All in all, it boils down to personal preference...Even after 20 years of shooting rifle matches, I still prefer a red dot for anything under 300 yds, shoot irons just because. I've run magnified on my ARs, but still end up going back to a red dot on my game guns.

Reactions
To me, the TWS dust cover rail system seems like a good option. Thats what I'd do if I didn't get the midwest handguard quadrail (that btw I am not a big fan of, gets too hot and is too wide)

LATEST REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Cerberus Training Group
    5.00 star(s)
    Armorer 1911 Course This was a 2 day course devoted to the iconic 1911. You might own a 1911 but, I assure you, you don't know it until you've...
    • Hueco
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    As a recent owner of a PTR91 a friend mentioned to me that Oregon Rifleworks has surplus magazines on hand for $3.99ea. I drove from Vancouver to...
    • svxr8dr
  • Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place friendly service always take time to help you, great knowledge of products
    • RJSouth
  • Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Perfect install of peep sight on my cz 527 carbine. Price was right, was expecting it to be more. Will be my go to for anything I can't handle...
    • cd90caprice
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been party to a couple transactions with Steve and he is a great guy to deal with.
    • titsonritz

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online

• Kruel J
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect