JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm giving some thought to running a Midwest Industries side mounted rail for my AKM and wanted to get some opinions on this.

The thought of running a T-50 ACOG is extremely appealing to me but also out of budget at this point. Is it worth saving up my pennies or should I be looking at some other options?

**Not really interested in hearing about how AKs should only be run with irons, etc. **
I can shoot with the irons and I enjoy it but I like trying new things. If the technology is available, why wouldn't I?

look at RS regulate mounts... low profile, center over bore...Many options for mounts....small microdot and you are GTG...

Might look at a PK-01 or PKAS for "russian" sights, side rail mounts are built in.

I'll second RS Regulate for optic specific mount.

However, in my opinion, the solid one piece Midwest Industry rail mount is better if you simply want a rail on top of the dust cover.

Another option is an ultamak.

1571860199492.jpeg

look at RS regulate mounts... low profile, center over bore...Many options for mounts....small microdot and you are GTG...

Might look at a PK-01 or PKAS for "russian" sights, side rail mounts are built in.
What kind of small microdot would you recommend? I like the magnified aspect of the ACOG so I could reach out to 200 or 300 yards and also the durability to match the AKs.... but I'll probably be settling for a less expensive optic until I can obtain it.

I'll second RS Regulate for optic specific mount.

However, in my opinion, the solid one piece Midwest Industry rail mount is better if you simply want a rail on top of the dust cover.

Another option is an ultamak.

View attachment 627201
The only thing that steered me away from optics up front was being so close to the gas block/piston emanating heat after strings of rapid fire. Obviously that wouldn't be an issue for a tough optic but still something to consider.

I personally believe a solid receiver side scope mount/rail to be the best place for an AK optic mount. Does your trusty AK already have the rivets and perhaps receiver side mount already drilled or installed? If so then an easy installation.

But ... finding that exact optic mount/rail is a challenge. You want the mount/rail low but you want it high enough that the top cover slides off and on without disturbing the mount/rail AND the center of the chosen optic employed.

Back to first concern. If you are going to have to align and drill your own side receiver holes then things will get interesting. The holes must be exact. If you already have the receiver side mount installed expect some more work.

You might have to enlarge or realign the holes so the optic shoots down the pipe right to left and up and down with the scope adjustments nearly in the centered position. Fun and easy but takes some time to do it. You can do this.

www.mississippiautoarms.com

I personally believe a solid receiver side scope mount/rail to be the best place for an AK optic mount. Does your trusty AK already have the rivets and perhaps receiver side mount already drilled or installed? If so then an easy installation.

But ... finding that exact optic mount/rail is a challenge. You want the mount/rail low but you want it high enough that the top cover slides off and on without disturbing the mount/rail AND the center of the chosen optic employed.

Back to first concern. If you are going to have to align and drill your own side receiver holes then things will get interesting. The holes must be exact. If you already have the receiver side mount installed expect some more work.

you might have to enlarge or realign the holes so the optic shoots down the pipe right to left and up and down with the scope adjustments nearly in the centered position. Fun and easy but takes some time to do. You can do this.

www.mississippiautoarms.com
I bought it with the side mount receiver already installed. I would be willing to take the time to get it right. I've been into ARs for quite some time but AKs are really growing on me. I'm glad there is some consensus here on the use of optics and a decent aftermarket.

Figure out what optic you want to run first.
Then, see what options are available for best mount-ability.
I never seen one to try, but this company makes a solid product.

RSregulate is another good choice

More Info

Last Edited:
Figure out what optic you want to run first.
Then, see what options are available for best mount-ability.
I never seen one to try, but this company makes a solid product.

RSregulate is another good choice

More Info
I haven't determined which optic I want to use yet. I've always been of the philosophy that certain optics pair well with certain cartridges and barrel lengths. For example 5.56 SBR or anything short barrel I'm usually using a red dot because I'm likely trying to hit things closer range maybe inside 100 yards. I don't plan to shoot CQB type distances with my AK so I'd like something with some magnification but probably nothing over 4x because I'm also not looking to shoot long distance. So my thoughts are either a 1-4x LPVO or perhaps a fixed 4x ergo the ACOG

The only reason Im not a fan ofthe RS regulate stuff is, they try to really screw you on buying two parts.. its pure nonsese.
A railed version should come with the mountIng hardware nessesary. Id understand the dedicated red dot mounts with their proprietary mounting styles.. but to have to drop $200+ on two different items just to mount an optic is lunacy.

For my Npap build Im going with the gen 2 mount from MWI. From all the research Ive done, it looks like a solid choice.

The only reason Im not a fan ofthe RS regulate stuff is, they try to really screw you on buying two parts.. its pure nonsese.
A railed version should come with the mountIng hardware nessesary. Id understand the dedicated red dot mounts with their proprietary mounting styles.. but to have to drop $200+ on two different items just to mount an optic is lunacy.

For my Npap build Im going with the gen 2 mount from MWI. From all the research Ive done, it looks like a solid choice.
Yeah sometimes when a company knows they're putting out a top product, they get a little shady. I see no reason to make separate two parts that essentially need to be together.

Yeah sometimes when a company knows they're putting out a top product, they get a little shady. I see no reason to make separate two parts that essentially need to be together.

Which two parts do you suggest make into a single and which ones do they drop? The idea behind two separate parts for different optics and preferred placement, being separate offers many configurations and is likely a savings over doing multiple individual mounts. There is nothing shady about it.

Which two parts do you suggest make into a single and which ones do they drop? The idea behind two separate parts for different optics and preferred placement, being separate offers many configurations and is likely a savings over doing multiple individual mounts. There is nothing shady about it.
Ok I looked at the actual RS Regulate website (as opposed to the Primary Arms site), and it makes it much clearer. It looks like I'll have to figure out what I'm going to be running first.

Maybe I misunderstand the system but it appears here that when you buy the mount, you're not getting the part that allows you to interface the optic, or, at least that is what Primary Arms is indicating. If that were the case, then it seems like one would be able to make a mistake in ordering the wrong part. Not saying it wouldn't be the users error but why not just include both parts necessary, if they are in fact necessary? If I found out I was short a part and had to pay shipping twice, I wouldn't be particularly happy would you?

**Edit: looking at the site again and the mounting options, I can say I'm thoroughly confused. Hoping someone can clarify, as this might be the mount I'm looking for after all**

View attachment 627271

It is very clear a lower and upper rail is required, so yes it would be 100% user error. Another thing to consider and a reason it is part of the design concept, is there are dozens of countries doing there own thing on AKs so tolerances can vary great, the two part system ensures the optic to be in line with the bore as opposed to sorta close and is made up by maxing out the windage adjustment. They are by far the best mount available, hence the price tag and I'd rather have something I know I can rely on over a piece of Chicom crap that could fail at the mention of rough handling.

I didn't mean to make my earlier comment seem like I was singling you out. Sorry about that. Ive posted before my gripes against RS and the duel system they make people buy if going for a mere rail section and not for a dedicated red dot proprietary mount. Though a very sleek system, I find their pricing and two-part system to be gouging their customers a little.

i was really excited about them when they first came out, their prices might be better nowthan they were before, but when I had checked it was around $250 (each part running $125-$150) just for the two mount system, not counting the rings and optic I still had to buy since I was going for a railed setup. So they quickly lost my business since It seemed a little scammy due to their items being CNC'd and even with R&D the prices seemed too high.

Im more of a cost effective shooter/collector. Which is why the MWI and various other mounts have my attention over RSR.
Again, didnt mean for my first comment to feel like I was singling you out or flaming you. I just have a negative opinion of the RS system was all. YMMV.

It looks like I'll have to figure out what I'm going to be running first.

And that no different that buy rings/mount for any optic. One does not go out and buy 1" rings only to buy a 30mm scope and have to buy another set of rings. I boils down to being an inform consumer and somethings it things need to happen in a certain order.

It is very clear a lower and upper rail is required, so yes it would be 100% user error. Another thing to consider and a reason it is part of the design concept, is there are dozens of countries doing there own thing on AKs so tolerances can vary great, the two part system ensures the optic to be in line with the bore as opposed to sorta close and is made up by maxing out the windage adjustment. They are by far the best mount available, hence the price tag and I'd rather have something I know I can rely on over a piece of Chicom crap that could fail at the mention of rough handling.
Yeah after looking at the RS site it made more sense to me. I thought there were two parts to the mount BEFORE the part that attaches to the optic for a total of 3. Now I get it and I too would rather pay more and get the right one the first time around.

I didn't mean to make my earlier comment seem like I was singling you out. Sorry about that. Ive posted before my gripes against RS and the duel system they make people buy if going for a mere rail section and not for a dedicated red dot proprietary mount. Though a very sleek system, I find their pricing and two-part system to be gouging their customers a little.

i was really excited about them when they first came out, their prices might be better nowthan they were before, but when I had checked it was around $250 (each part running $125-$150) just for the two mount system, not counting the rings and optic I still had to buy since I was going for a railed setup. So they quickly lost my business since It seemed a little scammy due to their items being CNC'd and even with R&D the prices seemed too high.

Im more of a cost effective shooter/collector. Which is why the MWI and various other mounts have my attention over RSR.
Again, didnt mean for my first comment to feel like I was singling you out or flaming you. I just have a negative opinion of the RS system was all. YMMV.

No need to apologize, I didn't take anything you said personally. Midwest is a good company, I use and recommend some of their stuff but there better products out there. As for cost, look at how much a Geissele mount is and they are cheap compared to GDI, KAC, Spuhr and Scalarworks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top