JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No need to apologize, I didn't take anything you said personally. Midwest is a good company, I use and recommend some of their stuff but there better products out there. As for cost, look at how much a Geissele mount is and they are cheap compared to GDI, KAC, Spuhr and Scalarworks
Yeah $200 isn't much for a mount to me when I'm talking about a $900 optic. I use Bobro or Larue mounts on most of my AR equipment.

No need to apologize, I didn't take anything you said personally. Midwest is a good company, I use and recommend some of their stuff but there better products out there. As for cost, look at how much a Geissele mount is and they are cheap compared to GDI, KAC, Spuhr and Scalarworks

Oh and MI is a fat pig compared to the RS, so there's that.

The only thing that steered me away from optics up front was being so close to the gas block/piston emanating heat after strings of rapid fire. Obviously that wouldn't be an issue for a tough optic but still something to consider.

It will definitely kill lessor optics, I strictly use Aimpoint Micros on mine, they been fine and have survived carbine classes and some pretty heavy shooting where the rail is hot enough to melt flesh..

Ran an Ultimak on my 107 years ago, worked well.
2D194E62-12E4-40AE-9BD2-7048026B2A14.jpeg
Used my friends 101 last month @ PR with a PKAS ( IIRC), wootz load of fun.
BF2507E1-70B0-4DFB-9C67-CEC01750B618.jpeg
I ran my Romy build with irons this month...had a first round hit at 280yds.
E9E5E5FE-4D8F-4BEC-B8EF-72923755E87E.jpeg
All in all, it boils down to personal preference...Even after 20 years of shooting rifle matches, I still prefer a red dot for anything under 300 yds, shoot irons just because. I've run magnified on my ARs, but still end up going back to a red dot on my game guns.

To me, the TWS dust cover rail system seems like a good option. Thats what I'd do if I didn't get the midwest handguard quadrail (that btw I am not a big fan of, gets too hot and is too wide)

Ran an Ultimak on my 107 years ago, worked well.
View attachment 627327
Used my friends 101 last month @ PR with a PKAS ( IIRC), wootz load of fun.
View attachment 627328
I ran my Romy build with irons this month...had a first round hit at 280yds.
View attachment 627329
All in all, it boils down to personal preference...Even after 20 years of shooting rifle matches, I still prefer a red dot for anything under 300 yds, shoot irons just because. I've run magnified on my ARs, but still end up going back to a red dot on my game guns.
Do you have any issues using a side rail mounted scope shooting left handed ?

My recommendation would be the RS Regulate with ACOG mount (if you can find it in stock) and the Primary Arms SLx 3x32mm prism scope. Total cost is just about $500
Another good side mount that I haven't seen anyone mention is the Arsenal SM-13. I believe they run about $130.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads