SHTF: WASR vs NPAP

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by GnomishPride, Sep 11, 2017.

1. GnomishPride

GnomishPride
    Yamhill County, Oregon

After some thought I've decided to make an AK my SHTF rifle. I've got about a $600 budget and I would prefer to buy sooner than later. Any owners of either of these rifles have any input before I buy?

MilitantBEEMER and Alexx1401 like this.
  2. cookie

cookie
    Idaho.

High quality basic AR 15 more reliable, easier to repair and probably would last longer.

3. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    Salem
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Tomato tomatoe.

And similar in regards to WASR vs NPAP.

We have an NPAP pistol which is a hoot to shoot, and like an AK, shoots well. So the NPAP would be my vote, but just because that's what I've used.

We also have several AR pistols, and likewise they shoot well.

So for AK rifles, the current buy expense may be higher now. But, for the most part, you shouldn't have to futz with it.

One over the other (AR vs AK?). Depends in all honesty. AR prices are down quite a bit, but to get a decent one set up the way you may like it, and prices begin to equalize a bit. There are exceptions of course. $500 Ruger that you don't feel you'd want to change, then yeah...

4. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo
    Milwaukie

I am an AK guy through and through.....real SHTF....get an AR or AR mag compatable rifle.

The most prolific semi auto gun in this country, AR.
    What do most law enforcement agencies use? AR.
    What is the most prolific cartridge in military and law enforcement....5.56.
    I could go on and on......$600 budget can get you a decent rifle, some mags, and a decent optic.

5. cookie

cookie
    Idaho.

I have had both the AR and the Kalishnikov and either one will do but the AR is better in many ways especially in a SHTF .

Bushman, DunRanull and Alexx1401 like this.
  6. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    Salem

Oh, and OP, @WAYNO has an NPAP listed rite now under your budget. He is an excellent member & great to deal with.

So there ya go...

;)

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  7. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

To get a good one you may have to spend a little more than that now. The big glut is all but gone. If you still want an AK for that budget you will have to go with what you can find. Now as others have said you could do a lot more right now with an AR. For that price you can get one that's nice and ready to go. Also in the US it's a VERY common rifle and ammo. Parts are everywhere and the rifles are dead simple to work on.

8. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

The one and only WASR I owned was quite possibly the biggest POS (in the rifle department, anyway) I ever owned. I dumped it years ago because it was unusable. I know others have had good results with them, though I know some have the similar experience I did. I've soured on them because of that, but, granted, my sampling size was small. So, maybe check out the NPAP?

Beyond that, agreed with some above, a solid AR-15 would work or other carbine options (e.g., Mini-14, M1 Carbine, et al.). Good luck. :)

9. GnomishPride

GnomishPride
    Yamhill County, Oregon

Alright, let's step away from specifically the AK47 and look at any 30 caliber rifle in the price range. I want the barrier penetration of 7.62 over 5.56. I also want that power in a reliable platform with ability to use magazine's. The only reason I specifically brought up the AK47 is for the price point that's really all I've found. I own AR15s. I don't want that anemic 5.56 for my SHTF.

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  10. slimer13

slimer13
    Deer Park

Nothing wrong with AKs, or either choice you mentioned. Either should serve you fine.

11. hatchj

hatchj
    Vancouver, wa

5.56 isnt that anemic though. Sure. 7.62 will go through a wall easier. But i doubt id want to waste the ammo shooting through things hoping to hit something

12. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

I own WASR-10's and DRACO's, they all shoot nice, and I've never had any issues.

IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1851.JPG

13. GnomishPride

GnomishPride
    Yamhill County, Oregon

In an urban environment where cover is abundant I would certainly like the ability to shoot through the many small barriers that require no guess work to hit your target.

Oathkeeper1775 likes this.
  14. GnomishPride

GnomishPride
    Yamhill County, Oregon

Also 7.62x39 has the other advantage of being pretty cheap to stockpile decent quality ammo. I understand by stepping away from the AR I lose longevity, but let's be honest: any SHTF scenario where I literally shoot my rifle to death is going to be so beyond the scope of manageable it doesn't matter.

Camelfilter likes this.
  15. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon

There are AR-10/AR308's, not to mention the PTR's near that price point. A 7.62x51 walks all over the top of a 7.62x39 in all respects except price. BTW that anemic 5.56 has an effective range of 600 yards, about twice that of a 7.62x39.

Tom Louis likes this.
  16. GnomishPride

GnomishPride
    Yamhill County, Oregon

How often does small arms combat happen at 600 yards? Not possible where I live. I would need to get out of a city before I worried about that.

B5Ben likes this.
  17. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Pierce County WA

If you're set on an AK the WASR's are close to your budget max then. Like anything mass produced there are some "problems" let out but for the most part one should do what you want.

18. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

Quite a bit out on the prairie, high desert, and mountain/canyon terrain. ;)

Alexx1401 likes this.
  19. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    Western Oregon

Depends on your environment. In the jungle of Western Oregon likely not, but in open areas having a longer effective range from a more accurate rifle would be a bonus. Why settle for less range? IMO the main advantage of 7.62x39 is cost.

20. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington