JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
High quality basic AR 15 more reliable, easier to repair and probably would last longer.

Tomato tomatoe.

And similar in regards to WASR vs NPAP.

We have an NPAP pistol which is a hoot to shoot, and like an AK, shoots well. So the NPAP would be my vote, but just because that's what I've used.

We also have several AR pistols, and likewise they shoot well.

So for AK rifles, the current buy expense may be higher now. But, for the most part, you shouldn't have to futz with it.

One over the other (AR vs AK?). Depends in all honesty. AR prices are down quite a bit, but to get a decent one set up the way you may like it, and prices begin to equalize a bit. There are exceptions of course. $500 Ruger that you don't feel you'd want to change, then yeah...

I am an AK guy through and through.....real SHTF....get an AR or AR mag compatable rifle.

The most prolific semi auto gun in this country, AR.
What do most law enforcement agencies use? AR.
What is the most prolific cartridge in military and law enforcement....5.56.
I could go on and on......$600 budget can get you a decent rifle, some mags, and a decent optic.

After some thought I've decided to make an AK my SHTF rifle. I've got about a $600 budget and I would prefer to buy sooner than later. Any owners of either of these rifles have any input before I buy?

To get a good one you may have to spend a little more than that now. The big glut is all but gone. If you still want an AK for that budget you will have to go with what you can find. Now as others have said you could do a lot more right now with an AR. For that price you can get one that's nice and ready to go. Also in the US it's a VERY common rifle and ammo. Parts are everywhere and the rifles are dead simple to work on.

The one and only WASR I owned was quite possibly the biggest POS (in the rifle department, anyway) I ever owned. I dumped it years ago because it was unusable. I know others have had good results with them, though I know some have the similar experience I did. I've soured on them because of that, but, granted, my sampling size was small. So, maybe check out the NPAP?

Beyond that, agreed with some above, a solid AR-15 would work or other carbine options (e.g., Mini-14, M1 Carbine, et al.). Good luck. :)

Alright, let's step away from specifically the AK47 and look at any 30 caliber rifle in the price range. I want the barrier penetration of 7.62 over 5.56. I also want that power in a reliable platform with ability to use magazine's. The only reason I specifically brought up the AK47 is for the price point that's really all I've found. I own AR15s. I don't want that anemic 5.56 for my SHTF.

I own WASR-10's and DRACO's, they all shoot nice, and I've never had any issues.

IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1851.JPG

Also 7.62x39 has the other advantage of being pretty cheap to stockpile decent quality ammo. I understand by stepping away from the AR I lose longevity, but let's be honest: any SHTF scenario where I literally shoot my rifle to death is going to be so beyond the scope of manageable it doesn't matter.

Alright, let's step away from specifically the AK47 and look at any 30 caliber rifle in the price range. I want the barrier penetration of 7.62 over 5.56. I also want that power in a reliable platform with ability to use magazine's. The only reason I specifically brought up the AK47 is for the price point that's really all I've found. I own AR15s. I don't want that anemic 5.56 for my SHTF.

There are AR-10/AR308's, not to mention the PTR's near that price point. A 7.62x51 walks all over the top of a 7.62x39 in all respects except price. BTW that anemic 5.56 has an effective range of 600 yards, about twice that of a 7.62x39.

Also 7.62x39 has the other advantage of being pretty cheap to stockpile decent quality ammo. I understand by stepping away from the AR I lose longevity, but let's be honest: any SHTF scenario where I literally shoot my rifle to death is going to be so beyond the scope of manageable it doesn't matter.

If you're set on an AK the WASR's are close to your budget max then. Like anything mass produced there are some "problems" let out but for the most part one should do what you want.

How often does small arms combat happen at 600 yards?

Depends on your environment. In the jungle of Western Oregon likely not, but in open areas having a longer effective range from a more accurate rifle would be a bonus. Why settle for less range? IMO the main advantage of 7.62x39 is cost.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top