JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The perfect "multi-purpose"(hunting, availability of ammo, knockdown power, self/property defense, semi auto fire) weapon in a true SHTF scenario would be something on a .223 platform, whether it be the ultra reliable mini-14, or an AR type.

Hunting- Lighter FMJ loads for small game work just great. Heavier, expansion type bullets work great for deer, or something similiar

Ammo- .223 ammo is still fairly economical(even tho this is changing daily), & we all know about the effectiveness of the .223 round on a human target, just go ask a few of the peg leg Toweliban "fighters" that got on the wrong end of it:s0160:

A Ruger 10/22 is an awesome gun, no argument, but after all, we are talking about a SHTF scenario, in which case, the "S" just "HTMFF!!!!"

All I'm saying is that I won't be strolling down the streets of a world that looks like something from "The Book of Eli" with my trusty pop can killer

I have a 10/22 that I just built for the heck of it, Butler Creek folding stock, Cut the Barrel to about 14", re-crowned it, turned down the last 2 1/2" or so to the same diameter as a Mini 14 and tack welded on a John Masen XTA Muzzlebrake with built in front sight and Bayonet lug. The barrel is about 17" with the permanently attatched muzlebrake and the gun is 26 1/2" overall folded. I put on a taller rear folding sight and it shoots great. I know the gun is only 1.5" shorter than original, I just never liked the way that a stock 10/22 looked in a folder with that thin tapered barrel. plus the taller sights make it alot more shootable in the Butler creek stock.

You have pics of this rifle?

SF-

I'm looking for suggestions on aftermarket stocks, folding or quick assemble. Maybe even just suggestions on how to pack, or carry in such a way that I could make the rifle easily accessible, but out of the way when creeping through underbrush.

I think that in a "long-term" shtf scenario, that a .22 rifle will make a (for the money) perfect small game rifle. My only issue on this is that a .22 obviously doesn't pack enough punch for self defense from larger, more aggressive critters. (including those that walk on two legs) When out hunting in that situation, I would always carry a reliable hand gun, but I'd rather have my full size 7.62 x 39 in hand, and at the ready...with the 10/22 either slung, or packed in such a way that I've got ease of access for taking said game. I do not want to rely on a standard strap, because they catch on everything you duck under, or around.
Thanks in advance!:s0155:

Why not just carry a ar15 with a drop in .22 conversion kit that fits in your pocket. makes the ar15 2 rifles with the weight of 1

Not to stray too far off topic, but why the choice of a 10/22? I agree with the use of a .22 for a game gun. The 10/22 is popular and inexpensive gun, but when it comes to survival, I don't know if I personally would trust my dinner to a 10/22 when they're are other alternatives. Personally all of the 10/22s have not been as accurate as many of the bolt actions I have owned or used, and definitely not as reliable. When it comes down to putting food on the table in a survival situation, as for myself, I wouldn't take the risk.

You never experienced a good 10/22 then.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top