JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for suggestions on aftermarket stocks, folding or quick assemble. Maybe even just suggestions on how to pack, or carry in such a way that I could make the rifle easily accessible, but out of the way when creeping through underbrush.

I think that in a "long-term" shtf scenario, that a .22 rifle will make a (for the money) perfect small game rifle. My only issue on this is that a .22 obviously doesn't pack enough punch for self defense from larger, more aggressive critters. (including those that walk on two legs) When out hunting in that situation, I would always carry a reliable hand gun, but I'd rather have my full size 7.62 x 39 in hand, and at the ready...with the 10/22 either slung, or packed in such a way that I've got ease of access for taking said game. I do not want to rely on a standard strap, because they catch on everything you duck under, or around.
Thanks in advance!:s0155:

Last Edited:
I also like the idea of a .22lr for small game getting in a SHTF. I prefer a bolt action with suppressor (if you think a dog will alert others to your activities, imagine a gunshot) for accuracy and stealthy-ness. If all the rules went out the window I'd probably put my Charger (also threaded for my suppressor) in my Butler Creek stock with the wire folder. It would easily tuck in a small pack.

I've never owned a folder before, and read many reviews about just how quick they can fall apart. I know some company's make good/bad products that end up being a crap shoot. For the money, a butler creek or similar drop in plastic stock would certainly be worth a try...but I've got no conviction.
Cycle...I've always thought that bolt action were by and far more accurate than semi-auto, but I was told my several smiths and dealers that when It came to the .22...there really wasn't a whole lot of difference. I don't have much personal experience to back up facts either way, so I certainly won't argue the point. I do know that my ruger has performed beautifully over the last few years, with a simple and relatively cheap 4X scope. Maybe if I'm willing to throw it in a drop in plastic, a bullpup conversion might work? That would certainly bring down the over-all length enough to accommodate a shoulder strap without snagging on everything and anything. Just a thought. I know there are a lot of complaints about accuracy changes, and trigger pull problems with those as well, but it might be worth a shot. (no pun intended)
Suppressors.....*sigh* Their just too damned expensive! I'd love to have one, but short of building my own I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Money is tight!! and preparing for the worst is expensive! I'm doing everything I can to scratch together my various kits from garage sales and the like......but unless I start building my own, it aint gonna happen anytime soon. *sigh* again.

For noise, subsonics would work in a semi-auto, but probably won't cycle the action. That's OK, though. In the situation you are describing, one shot is probably all you'd want to be taking anyway before moving on.

I myself don't know much about the durability of the folding Butler Creek stocks, but considering its intended use, would you really need the folding part extended or the ability to maintain a good cheekweld anyway? Maybe not.

Regarding the accuracy of a 10/22 vs. bolt actions. I would offer that most folks can't shoot better than their 10-22 is capable of anyway. If you haven't had any military marksmanship training, might I suggest looking into the Appleseed Project? Considering you are on a budget, Appleseed is by far the best training anywhere --at any price. Anyone can afford to attend, and the skills taught would easily carry over into a survival situation.

Keith

Last Edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Keith, I'm going to look into that for my wife. Former Marine, "rifle expert" qualified myself.........but she's pretty bull headed and won't take instruction from me. I guess what I really want is for my 10/22 to be exactly what it is, and be something else at the same time. I need the damn thing to be steady as a rock, with the original walnut stock....but still fit into a space half the size!! I guess I'd be satisfied if my standard wood stock had some sort of snap in attachment, rather than a set screw. That way I could use a formed sack carry method, somewhat similar to a arrow quiver. Ya picturing that?

dont forget that you can chop the barrel on a 10/22. Most of em are 18", go to 16 1/4", thread and crown and you will be rockin. But again that costs $$$. as for the stock, I had a BC folder on my mini-14 and its was an ok stock. The pistol grip was nice, but I had to do a ton of filing on it to make it fit my hand. I wish they would just have a tab to mount an AR pistol grip. The only other down side I cold see is the weight of it. The rear metal is all steel IIRC, and it wasn't the lightest. But over all it was a decent stock and worked as advertised. A little slow to deploy the stock, but nothing you could work on to get your timing down.

Not to stray too far off topic, but why the choice of a 10/22? I agree with the use of a .22 for a game gun. The 10/22 is popular and inexpensive gun, but when it comes to survival, I don't know if I personally would trust my dinner to a 10/22 when they're are other alternatives. Personally all of the 10/22s have not been as accurate as many of the bolt actions I have owned or used, and definitely not as reliable. When it comes down to putting food on the table in a survival situation, as for myself, I wouldn't take the risk.

dont forget that you can chop the barrel on a 10/22. Most of em are 18", go to 16 1/4", thread and crown and you will be rockin. But again that costs $$$. as for the stock, I had a BC folder on my mini-14 and its was an ok stock. The pistol grip was nice, but I had to do a ton of filing on it to make it fit my hand. I wish they would just have a tab to mount an AR pistol grip. The only other down side I cold see is the weight of it. The rear metal is all steel IIRC, and it wasn't the lightest. But over all it was a decent stock and worked as advertised. A little slow to deploy the stock, but nothing you could work on to get your timing down.

Chopping barrels....Just today I went to two different stores looking for something in particular (leather xd9 mag pouch) and posed that same question. Both places told me it was illegal in Washington state to cut down the existing barrel on a rifle. This would turn it into a SBR, and the only legal way to do it, was to purchase it in that configuration. Not even a gunsmith can do it. I'm not saying they were correct, but it gives you enough pause to definitely seek more information. Anywhoo, there are a couple different reasons I wouldn't wanna shorten the barrel anyway. I don't wanna effect the accuracy of the gun, and if things went harry in a fast way while all I had in my hand was that .22....I'd certainly want as much muzzle velocity as I can push outta that itty bitty round. If say......I've got a squirrels short hairs in my cross hairs, hear a stick snap and turn my head to find somebody pointing a gun at me, I'm gonna empty all 10 (or 25) in that direction with what I've got in my hands before I reach for another weapon. (please remember I'm referring to a SHTF scenario...and not a day trip hunt.

Not to stray too far off topic, but why the choice of a 10/22? I agree with the use of a .22 for a game gun. The 10/22 is popular and inexpensive gun, but when it comes to survival, I don't know if I personally would trust my dinner to a 10/22 when they're are other alternatives. Personally all of the 10/22s have not been as accurate as many of the bolt actions I have owned or used, and definitely not as reliable. When it comes down to putting food on the table in a survival situation, as for myself, I wouldn't take the risk.

You have some valid points there, but my experience with .22's has been nothing but semi-auto's. I've owned a couple other types of auto-loaders, but this is my 3rd 10/22, and I've never had reliability issues with the gun. I will freely admit that there are MANY magazine issues, but over the years I've learned not to count on a mag that isn't tried and true. Also, there is what I said in the last post about self-defense use. I wouldn't wanna HAVE to depend on a .22 to defend myself, but if it's whats at hand...I'd rather have more than one round to chamber. One other point of interest....I can't get my wife to pick up any other rifle but a .22. :s0002: (she'll cook off any type of pistol all day long) I'd rather have a rifle on hand that she'll practice with, than a more capable rifle that she won't. Which is better? A .50 that you've never touched...or a p-shooter that you know by heart?

Chopping barrels....Just today I went to two different stores looking for something in particular (leather xd9 mag pouch) and posed that same question. Both places told me it was illegal in Washington state to cut down the existing barrel on a rifle. This would turn it into a SBR, and the only legal way to do it, was to purchase it in that configuration. Not even a gunsmith can do it. I'm not saying they were correct, but it gives you enough pause to definitely seek more information. Anywhoo, there are a couple different reasons I wouldn't wanna shorten the barrel anyway. I don't wanna effect the accuracy of the gun, and if things went harry in a fast way while all I had in my hand was that .22....I'd certainly want as much muzzle velocity as I can push outta that itty bitty round. If say......I've got a squirrels short hairs in my cross hairs, hear a stick snap and turn my head to find somebody pointing a gun at me, I'm gonna empty all 10 (or 25) in that direction with what I've got in my hands before I reach for another weapon. (please remember I'm referring to a SHTF scenario...and not a day trip hunt.

you an cut a barrel down to 16" legally any less than 16" and its a SBR which you need paperwork and .gov approval for (also, SBR's are not kosher in WA IIRC). Any gunsmith can and will do it if they have half a brain. Its easy money. Also when they do this the barrel will get re-crowned, meaning no accuracy issues. Also with some thinner barrels, being shorter makes them stiffer and thus, in some cases, more accurate. Only way I could see it making it less accurate would be to totally butcher the crown or if the barrel has a crap ton of stress in it from being made that wasn't relieved properly. Also, the velocity loss would be fairly insignificant. If you want it for what you say you do, it shouldn't matter too much. You are always going to have to compromise on something like this. Pick the features and attributes you most think you need and go from there. I thought long and hard about doing the same thing and came to the conclusion that its kind of pointless for me to do. Besides I am not all that in love with the 10/22 anyway.
But if you want to get the barrel chopped down to 16" (and ruger did make a "carbine" 10/22 with a 16.5" barrel) give tornado technologies or koonce custom gunworks a call. They know their stuff and do great work.

I have a 10/22 that I just built for the heck of it, Butler Creek folding stock, Cut the Barrel to about 14", re-crowned it, turned down the last 2 1/2" or so to the same diameter as a Mini 14 and tack welded on a John Masen XTA Muzzlebrake with built in front sight and Bayonet lug. The barrel is about 17" with the permanently attatched muzlebrake and the gun is 26 1/2" overall folded. I put on a taller rear folding sight and it shoots great. I know the gun is only 1.5" shorter than original, I just never liked the way that a stock 10/22 looked in a folder with that thin tapered barrel. plus the taller sights make it alot more shootable in the Butler creek stock.

I can take some and email them to you, but I can't post pictures on the forum for some reason. (I'm computeretarded) I will be away from home untill friday evening, If you would like a pic, P.M. me your email address and I will send a couple.

I have the stainless butler crk folder. No problems and it is solid.

I know $ is an issue, but the carbon fiber barrel is the way to go. It reduced the weight of the gun to less then a full sized pistol. I wish I could weigh it but I don't have a scale. I would say that will be my first upgrade if I ever buy another. I can easily one-hand shoot it with stock folded and be accurate. You just have to use optics though, there is no front site. From the action it is exactly 16"

With bulk ammo, a scope and a rest I can hit a sand-rat @ 135 paces with my 10-22, a small target. The only mods made to the 10-22 were aftermarket hammer/sear/trigger and a business card under the barrel at the barrel band.
I'd like to remind 'Sleepy' that possesion of a supressor or parts of a supressor or the attempt to build same is a felony in WA State

I'd like to remind 'Sleepy' that possesion of a supressor or parts of a supressor or the attempt to build same is a felony in WA State

Only an issue if you are caught shooting it in this lovely state we live in. You can own one you just need to have all the proper paperwork and tax stamps.

Some day will get it all figured out and get one myself.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top