JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The perfect "multi-purpose"(hunting, availability of ammo, knockdown power, self/property defense, semi auto fire) weapon in a true SHTF scenario would be something on a .223 platform, whether it be the ultra reliable mini-14, or an AR type.

Hunting- Lighter FMJ loads for small game work just great. Heavier, expansion type bullets work great for deer, or something similiar

Ammo- .223 ammo is still fairly economical(even tho this is changing daily), & we all know about the effectiveness of the .223 round on a human target, just go ask a few of the peg leg Toweliban "fighters" that got on the wrong end of it:s0160:

A Ruger 10/22 is an awesome gun, no argument, but after all, we are talking about a SHTF scenario, in which case, the "S" just "HTMFF!!!!"

All I'm saying is that I won't be strolling down the streets of a world that looks like something from "The Book of Eli" with my trusty pop can killer

I have a 10/22 that I just built for the heck of it, Butler Creek folding stock, Cut the Barrel to about 14", re-crowned it, turned down the last 2 1/2" or so to the same diameter as a Mini 14 and tack welded on a John Masen XTA Muzzlebrake with built in front sight and Bayonet lug. The barrel is about 17" with the permanently attatched muzlebrake and the gun is 26 1/2" overall folded. I put on a taller rear folding sight and it shoots great. I know the gun is only 1.5" shorter than original, I just never liked the way that a stock 10/22 looked in a folder with that thin tapered barrel. plus the taller sights make it alot more shootable in the Butler creek stock.

You have pics of this rifle?

SF-

I'm looking for suggestions on aftermarket stocks, folding or quick assemble. Maybe even just suggestions on how to pack, or carry in such a way that I could make the rifle easily accessible, but out of the way when creeping through underbrush.

I think that in a "long-term" shtf scenario, that a .22 rifle will make a (for the money) perfect small game rifle. My only issue on this is that a .22 obviously doesn't pack enough punch for self defense from larger, more aggressive critters. (including those that walk on two legs) When out hunting in that situation, I would always carry a reliable hand gun, but I'd rather have my full size 7.62 x 39 in hand, and at the ready...with the 10/22 either slung, or packed in such a way that I've got ease of access for taking said game. I do not want to rely on a standard strap, because they catch on everything you duck under, or around.
Thanks in advance!:s0155:

Why not just carry a ar15 with a drop in .22 conversion kit that fits in your pocket. makes the ar15 2 rifles with the weight of 1

Not to stray too far off topic, but why the choice of a 10/22? I agree with the use of a .22 for a game gun. The 10/22 is popular and inexpensive gun, but when it comes to survival, I don't know if I personally would trust my dinner to a 10/22 when they're are other alternatives. Personally all of the 10/22s have not been as accurate as many of the bolt actions I have owned or used, and definitely not as reliable. When it comes down to putting food on the table in a survival situation, as for myself, I wouldn't take the risk.

You never experienced a good 10/22 then.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top