JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here are a few photos of my LSA 1909 dated no.1 mki*** enfield rifle.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Until the revision of the design in 1916/17, when the magazine cut-off was removed, along with the volley sight [front and rear], the British Army had practiced shooting massed volleys of long-range fire at groups of the enemy. This later version of the L-E was called the MkIII* - called the mark three star.

Infantry would engage the enemy at ranges of up to 2400 yards [yes, really] en masse, with company and even battalion volleys. Trust me, six hundred and sixty riflemen each shooting fifteen rounds a minute in 'slow fire by rank' will leave a mark on massed advancing troops or supply trains. This military principal had somewhat earlier worked very well against the Ma'ahists in Abyssinia, when Egyptian troops under command of a British colonel who knew his Sniders waited until the maximum number of fuzzy-wuzzies was in the correct 'beaten range of first and last catch', and ordered his entire army to open fire by rank, front to rear, kneeling as they did so so as not to catch a 535gr Snider bullet in the ear'ole. The result was around six thousand dead and wounded enemy in less than a minute.....

It worked rather less well against the sneaky Boers, who spaced themselves out in a thoroughly unsporting and decidedly unmilitarily untidy fashion around the landscape and refunged to be 'volleyed' on. And of course, in the trenches it mattered not a jot.

tac

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

My mother is a SAINT, I tell you! :D

Actually what Tac said was,

Yes, everything they do, eh? Another lesson in how a lot of civilians determined to go their own way, can make a real impression on a mighty army. Sounds familiar, does not it?

tac

Yes indeed, it does at that. I salute you, good sir! :s0005:

Last Edited:
Tac, do you have a year and 'battle of' cite for that Abbysinian action? Would love to dig into that in depth.

I have an original Abbysinian Campaign medal, presented in 1868 to Private Keefe of the Cameronian Highlanders.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top