JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use 65" tall shepherd hooks and 3/8" x 8" AR500 steel gongs with a single hole. The hooks were $8 each at Ace Hardware and the gongs I got from Amazon for $24 a piece including shipping. I'd love to have a dueling tree but haven't been able to justify the cost to myself yet.

Recycled 2x2s to the rescue.
From the impact points you can see that it can have two 8.5x11 targets stapled to it, and that I'm working on fixing a left drifting problem.
20160927_172057.jpg
Back side
20160927_172123.jpg
Base
20160927_172134.jpg
And it comes apart for easy transport and flat storage.
20160927_172208.jpg

I've certainly been guilty in the past of skimping on targets. Then one day I splurged for a nice "Evil Roy" steel target from Action Target. I was hooked! And more than a little mad at myself for waiting so long. We'll spend thousands and tens of thousands of dollars on firearms and then buy the crappiest, junkiest targets to shoot out. It's so silly!

Once you shoot steel you will never want to go back to paper. And for the price of a single handgun you can easily buy 2 or 3 high quality steel targets that will last you a lifetime...or at least a heck of a long time.

Action Targets are wonderfully portable and good quality. They also used to offer a 15% discount. I don't know if it's still active but try "NUTNFANCY15" at checkout.

I don't make any money of them, just passing along a recommendation for a product I like. YMMV

Law Enforcement Targets | Action Target : PT Practice Target

I cut a piece of plywood or chipboard about 14"x18" and screw a 4x4 about a foot long (end wise) to the board with the 18" being vertical. The 4x4 acts as a kickstand and it works on any ground. I staple an 8 1/2" x 11" copy of a target that I scanned and can print out by the handful. Usually I put a stick on 1" pink dot in the center. When the board has a big hole, I unscrew it and cut another. Costs me next to nothing.

im a good ol boy, i took a pallet that i nabbed from work, nailed 2x4s vertically across from eachother and two horizontally. one across the top, one across the middle of my frame. i put some nails on the horizontal ones so that i could put paper plates or a big piece of cardboard on it. i use GM orange engine paint to spray a dot or a bullseye so i have something to aim at. been doin this for 20 years

Once I went AR500 steel I never looked back. I started out getting a couple of the 'challenge target' torso targets with stakes. I've put 1000's of rounds of large calibers on both targets and they both look great. They were a $200 investment, shipped from sportman's guide with a free shipping coupon.

I also picked up a Caldwell ar550 target with stand shipped from Amazon during a sale for $70. The target is great but the stand gets really beat up, I wouldn't buy it again.

I'd like to get a stand to hang gongs from with chains. I was going to go with the "Last Stand" you set up with rebar. Two buddies have them though and they haven't been happy with the durability, they're getting torn up after just a few outtings.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Once I went AR500 steel I never looked back. I started out getting a couple of the 'challenge target' torso targets with stakes. I've put 1000's of rounds of large calibers on both targets and they both look great. They were a $200 investment, shipped from sportman's guide with a free shipping coupon.

I also picked up a Caldwell ar550 target with stand shipped from Amazon during a sale for $70. The target is great but the stand gets really beat up, I wouldn't buy it again.

I'd like to get a stand to hang gongs from with chains. I was going to go with the "Last Stand" you set up with rebar. Two buddies have them though and they haven't been happy with the durability, they're getting torn up after just a few outtings.

View attachment 314749 View attachment 314750
Thanks. Ya saved me 70 bucks.:D

View attachment 314749 View attachment 314750

I've been tickled pink with my set. Of course the target is angled so that only a little splatter hits the plastic. And I haven't shot it yet, either. Shouldn't have said that, I suspect...

i have one of those ar500 jumping jack lookin targets. shot it with everything i have from 22short to 300wm. it holds up to the win mag except if you shoot it on the welds. i broke a weld once from 200yrd with a 200gr accubond. re-welded. good to go. funny thing is... the only dents (not even really a dent, more like a blemish) it has is from xm193 and m855.

...I'd like to get a stand to hang gongs from with chains....

You can make a tall saw horse stand, lowes sells the saw horse hinge things for like $7 a pair, then use 2x4's to whatever length you wish. I made one with 5.5' legs, and a 6' cross beam.

It's a bit challenging for me to set-up if I'm solo, but I'm old & out of shape. Piece of cake to set-up with 2 or more folks.

Can hang the steel with 2" strapping using tow strap from harbor freight (?$20 for 20'). Or use chain.

I've only used it for pistol so far, but the same principle would apply for rifle.

I use a lot of those cheap paper plates.. unmarked or with one or five 3/4" black stick-on dots. A clean strike face is sometimes nice over that ragged hole that invariably develops.
Never liked the shoot n see's for how I usually shoot.. shoot and then see after the strings(s), one way or another

You can make a tall saw horse stand, lowes sells the saw horse hinge things for like $7 a pair, then use 2x4's to whatever length you wish. I made one with 5.5' legs, and a 6' cross beam.

I had never thought of that, I don't think I've even ever seen it researching target stands! I can get 2x4's free at work so I'd easily be in business. Tow strap sounds like a good plan to me. Thank you sir!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top