JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should you keep your car keys in a metal coffee can?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some of the newer cars have fobs that you don't push the button on, you just get close to the car and it unlocks it for you.

Keyless entry and start.

My car has this.

What happens is the thieves have a repeater that increases the distance that the car can detect the fob, and then they can open and start the car.

I have not tested it (I should), but I believe my car will not start unless it thinks the fob is inside the car (it can detect that difference, that is how it prevents someone outside the car from opening a locked door while you are inside driving), but naturally it will let you open the door if the fob is outside the car.

If I am in my living room my car can see my fob, but not in my bedroom. A repeater would probably allow the car to see the fob - maybe even to think that the fob is inside if the repeater was inside.

It is a risky thing to do; you have to be close enough to the car for the thieves to use the repeater - so you are close enough to blast them to hell if you notice them stealing your car.

I sell new Chevys for a living..... tried the coffee can thing with a customer who was really concerned about the issue. It did not disable the RFID at all. We tried a bunch of metal containers to no avail. I suspect it was because the fob was touching the sides of the containers
i repair chevys and cadillacs for a living. some of these new fobs are very involved just to get them programmed to the vehicle. the fact of the matter is, bad guys will find a way to steal if they want to steal.

I believe that on some cars you can also disable keyless entry.

You can also remove the battery from the fob.

Or, as proposed, simply put it inside a metal container - although that is inconvenient if the thieves are sitting there in the parking lot waiting to take your car when you back is turned - but on my car at least, you can hear the car unlock (it beeps).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top