JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should you keep your car keys in a metal coffee can?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some of the newer cars have fobs that you don't push the button on, you just get close to the car and it unlocks it for you.

I know a few people with them, but I'm still in a 2002 Hyundai hooptie so no worries here;)

My '88 Civic has chips in the paint, but that's about it. Problem is that you can unlock it by staring at the keyway and then rotating your head in the unlock direction. I think that's how the tweekers do it anyway.

Screw it!!!

I'm just going to wear a coffee can on my head just in case:eek:.

My new gofund me page is for a lead lined cod piece to protect you from all the RF in the air. Ya gotta protect the boys;).

Looked into brazier's but unlike cod pieces that will come in xs-xl, the measuring system is way to complex for me:D:p.

I'm just kidding but if some steals my imagination ideas then I'll need 20% of the profits - not joking on that part :rolleyes:

Hmmmm.

Not as easy as it's made out to be. Practical experience speaking in a past life.

Some of the newer cars have fobs that you don't push the button on, you just get close to the car and it unlocks it for you.

I know a few people with them, but I'm still in a 2002 Hyundai hooptie so no worries here;)
Not only will it unlock the car will start even with the FOB IN YOUR POCKET .
Just has to be in the car or close by

I sell new Chevys for a living..... tried the coffee can thing with a customer who was really concerned about the issue. It did not disable the RFID at all. We tried a bunch of metal containers to no avail. I suspect it was because the fob was touching the sides of the containers

The container has to be grounded or be extremely thick, I build electric guitars and basses and even the best shielding job won't do anything if it is not properly grounded.

This applies to all electronic locks. Keyless entry, you send the signal to the car when you hit the button. Hackers can just sit at the car with a device and send frequencies all day and eventually get one to open your car.

The tricky part then is starting it, as most keyless entry cars still require a key inserted into the ignition.

Smart keys, don't transmit per say. They usually act like RFID cards. The car sends the signal to the key all the time, when in distance, like a RFID card, the car reads the card as it is always looking for it, verifies it to be the correct key, and unlocks the door. It also allows the ignition to activate.

Hackers can sit on your curb with a device, scan your house for the key, like the car does, if in distance, they can get the keys information. Then they just replicate that info to the car in your driveway, and drive off.

This is not something all crooks can do thankfully. Usually more sophisticated car thiefs, as this tech requires knowledge and pricey equipment.

The bad thing is, before only luxury cars had these systems, now just about any car can come equipped with it.

Some systems work much differently than others, so my info may not represent all types of car access systems. I used to work with banks RFID systems. The crooks looking to get into banks used similar equipment as these car thiefs do.

Sorry for you bucks-up fellas... technology keeps moving and as soon as someone invents something valuable, someone will invent a way to steal it.

On the plus side (for me), all of my vehicles (3) have regular keys, manual windows and locks, two have manual transmissions, and none are worth anything (76 and 93 F150s and a 79 Chrysler). Even if someone actually wanted to steal one of em they'd probably get confounded by the various manual chokes, kill switches, and that mysterious 3rd pedal.

"Alexa, how do I start this a-hole's car??!!".

"Siri... what's a clutch do?".

I wish I could afford a fancy new truck or car... but if I had that kind of scratch, I'd probably just buy more beaters.

Yeah... I know me.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews