JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should negative feedback be left for this situation?

• Yes, he deserves negative feedback

Votes: 69 89.6%
  • No, don't sully his reputation based on this.

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
I agree to leave negative feedback. If your situation doesn't call for it then I don't know what really would. You aren't pouring sugar in his gas tank or poisoning his puppy or anything, just reporting useful information.

This is a move people have done to me on Craigslist (for a sale, not a trade). At least they had the "courteousy" to pull this stunt before trying to meet. Sorry, the I want more than what I asked for move isn't cool.

When you enter a feedback + or - doesn't it say who left what?
If so I'd have just left a - and then whoever wanted to do business with him later could choose to PM the person that left the feedback and maybe get both sides of the story.
This thread seems kind of pointless. The OP is outing the other member without "outing" him so we only get a one sided story with no name to back up the other side.
No offense to the OP just my 2 pennies.

I realize I'm the only dissenting opinion here...

but in my real world experience with other online transactions (non-firearms), the deal is not done until money changes hands.. it may be unethical, but it was not yours until you paid for it... if you had sent a deposit, that's a different deal...

but either party can back out of the deal until money exchanges hands... I've even had people meet and actually change their minds because they didn't like something even though it was not misrepresented...

that being said, a nicely worded negative feedback explaining the circumstance is a good idea...

PX, I will agree "the deal" is not done till money changes hands. I disagree that feedback is reserved exclusively for a done deal. The transaction and interaction begins with a reply to an ad. It develops in agreements on meeting, bargained price, condition of gun represented, etc. etc. Individuals who do not complete what they said they'd complete should expect the other party to report such behavior, to the benefit of all here.

I had an experience with replying to an ad that was posted as WTT (trade) only. I respected this exclusive post, and though I would have made a cash offer as well, if WTS had been posted, I did not feel it was my place to offer cash (out of respect). I made a trade offer, an agreement was made, and then the OP sold the item for cash in the interim between the meeting agreement, and the scheduled meeting. I consider it a cheap education. I will still respect a WTT post at face value, but will be cautions in the future with this particular seller. I did not leave negative feedback, as he did offer a personal apology to me, and apparently knew he'd stepped over a line. That is more than I expected.

I do recognize a buyer's honest right to back out of an agreement if when seeing the gun, he finds something not to his liking (even if it has nothing to do with the seller's representation): "Oh. I thought it was the earlier version", etc. This is an unwritten axiom. Indeed, the deal is not done till the money changes hands. In this case, no negative feedback is warranted. Physical inspection and approval (or disapproval) is the reserved right of the buyer.

I also respect the right of a seller to not complete a deal if, when meeting face-to-face, something just doesn't seem right. The buyer deserves a polite explanation in that case, perhaps diplomatically explaining in not so many words that he looks like a "tweaker", or some such observation by the seller that activates a well-tuned "spidey sense".

It sounds like he was getting a lot of PM's and realized he could get more than what he was asking for DE 50ae. Leave a – feedback and explain what happened so we all know what we are dealing with. I once had a Ruger 22/45 for sale I got a ton of PM's saying they would go $50 more BUT I took the 1st to offer what I was asking for even tho I could've made $50 more. But that's me.

Looking for what the community says about this issue.

Yesterday I PM'd a seller about a pistol he had up for sale/trade. He was asking X pistol + $150 cash for his pistol. I found his asking price to be acceptable so I offered him exactly what he wanted. My pistol (X) is in pristine condition and has had only 1 mag through it. Additionally it has all the bells and whistles that are associated with it.

He agreed to the trade and we decided to meet up today at 8pm. A little while after agreeing to meet up he sent me another message stating that he wanted more cash even though his original post had the cash value he wanted. In fact the add still says he wants X pistol + $150 cash (though it is closed now and he's making a deal with someone else)

Am I just upset that I lost out on a deal or is this a legitiment cause for negative feedback?

Just noticed you did…. Good for you.

I think that I would leave negative feedback on this. A transaction was supposed to go down, but then the guy welched.
That's bogus. If by some chance he leaves you negative feedback, the moderators can "fix" that if they believe you have a strong enough case. Sounds to me like you do.

Ill back you, we also had a deal, and planned to meet at swan island, but when I said bring ID so we can do a bill of sale, his text reply was "well I have to make sure they both fire" (my 2 guns). So I said lets meet at tri-county Any time. The deal went south and no offers were good enough. We text back and forth for 2 hours, because he was at "work". Then I got no reply. I sent a text saying no worries GL.

Shady

Your issue is plain as day! That's a negative feedback the moment he didn't show or call!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to post negative feedback for the guy and use this thread as the "dead url" so he can look back and read it if he chooses.

I met a Guy the other day, well went to meet him. I rushed through bad traffic, so I wasn't late. I waited 15 min and called, left a VM. 15 min later I left to honor another deal I had made. After an hour and half of chatting guns/gear I got a call saying it was an emergency and I forgot my phone. Igave the Guy another chance and he showed the next day. He has alot of accessories for sale and posting negative feedback would have hurt. He did show the next day but didn't apologize or say my bad, I didn't get any feedback for a week when I was the buyer. I sent him an email saying leave feedback I wont bee a buthead and leave negative. I then got feedback. That's lame if you ask me (that's why I'm venting) and being a man of my word I left positive because the deal did go down. And I did get good product. Am I to nice of a Guy?

If you had a date, time, place, and all that stuff lined out and he failed to follow through for any reason other than major life changes... Leave bad feedback for him so the rest of us know to take him less serious.

I met a Guy the other day, well went to meet him. I rushed through bad traffic, so I wasn't late. I waited 15 min and called, left a VM. 15 min later I left to honor another deal I had made. After an hour and half of chatting guns/gear I got a call saying it was an emergency and I forgot my phone. Igave the Guy another chance and he showed the next day. He has alot of accessories for sale and posting negative feedback would have hurt. He did show the next day but didn't apologize or say my bad, I didn't get any feedback for a week when I was the buyer. I sent him an email saying leave feedback I wont bee a buthead and leave negative. I then got feedback. That's lame if you ask me (that's why I'm venting) and being a man of my word I left positive because the deal did go down. And I did get good product. Am I to nice of a Guy?

Seems like the way I would have handled it too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top