JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should negative feedback be left for this situation?

• Yes, he deserves negative feedback

Votes: 69 89.6%
  • No, don't sully his reputation based on this.

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Looking for what the community says about this issue.

Yesterday I PM'd a seller about a pistol he had up for sale/trade. He was asking X pistol + $150 cash for his pistol. I found his asking price to be acceptable so I offered him exactly what he wanted. My pistol (X) is in pristine condition and has had only 1 mag through it. Additionally it has all the bells and whistles that are associated with it.

He agreed to the trade and we decided to meet up today at 8pm. A little while after agreeing to meet up he sent me another message stating that he wanted more cash even though his original post had the cash value he wanted. In fact the add still says he wants X pistol + $150 cash (though it is closed now and he's making a deal with someone else)

Am I just upset that I lost out on a deal or is this a legitiment cause for negative feedback?

What difference does it make on the feedback. I worked hard to get a great score and the management wiped it all out.

I do think the guy owes you an appology and I certianly wouldn't deal with him again.

jj

From an outside opinion, no trade or transaction occurred, so the feedback would be un-related to a an actual trade or transaction.
That however does not make the seller not an . At least you didn't overpay, and who knows his gun may be in poor condition anyway.
Leaving negative feedback also gives him the opportunity to give you negative back in turn, sounds like a lose/lose to me.

This is what I believe feedback scores are exactly for. It allows for an antiseptic (free of flaming statements, personal attacks, etc.) evaluation of YOUR business experience with that member. You deserve credit for describing your experience very diplomatically, without naming names (handles). People who do what they say they will do are becoming more and more rare in the world, and people who DO what they say they will do terrify those who don't think it is important. Some become dangerous when so terrified. I intend to keep terrifying them.

Jim: I don't know all the background on your rating loss, but mine was not accurate either when the new format engaged. It is now. (With no effort on my part.) Present your case, and though I have no personal experience with having a problem rectified by the moderators, they seem a trustworthy sort, and can probably fix it. New thread exists for how things seem to be going with the new format at the one month point. Good venue for your concern, I think. Failing that, I'll sell you one piece of old .30-06 brass ten times in a row, and you can sell me a spent primer ten times, and we'll get you 20 points real fast. Improvise and Overcome!

Oh, yeah. My asking price that we agreed on for the '06 brass just went up. You owe me money, or I'll sell it to someone else.

I think that I would leave negative feedback on this. A transaction was supposed to go down, but then the guy welched.
That's bogus. If by some chance he leaves you negative feedback, the moderators can "fix" that if they believe you have a strong enough case. Sounds to me like you do.

Jim: I don't know all the background on your rating loss, but mine was not accurate either when the new format engaged. It is now. (With no effort on my part.) Present your case, and though I have no personal experience with having a problem rectified by the moderators, they seem a trustworthy sort, and can probably fix it. New thread exists for how things seem to be going with the new format at the one month point. Good venue for your concern, I think. Failing that, I'll sell you one piece of old .30-06 brass ten times in a row, and you can sell me a spent primer ten times, and we'll get you 20 points real fast. Improvise and Overcome!

Multiple deals between two members is what makes the current trade ratings differ from the old ones. If you two decided to have multiple exchanges then it would only tally up as one. I'm not positive, but it probably tallies differently if one of them has a different rating (negative vs. positive)
Jim is probably complaining about the fact that he has more than 16 transactions and only 16 show. But his rating is 100% so I would feel confident that if he and I agreed on a deal, it would go down smoothly.:s0155:

Darn! I figured once again, I had determined how to work a system. Cumulative 20 years in the American education system and military has failed me.

Just received my first spent primer from Jim, and it is in not nearly the condition he described. Bad trade rating in the making now.

This is what I believe feedback scores are exactly for. It allows for an antiseptic (free of flaming statements, personal attacks, etc.) evaluation of YOUR business experience with that member. You deserve credit for describing your experience very diplomatically, without naming names (handles). People who do what they say they will do are becoming more and more rare in the world

I have to agree with Spitpatch! A business transaction starts from the replying post. If there was an agreement to do a deal and conditions have been set for the deal, barring there is no misrepresentation on either side then the deal is done from agreement time. He has already done the "handshake" and the grounds have been agreed on. The items in the trade should be off the market, no matter if a better offer comes in or not unless this is specifically stated and agreed to.

You would not allow a used car salesman raise the window sticker price on a car on a lot once you agreed to pay that price. That is false advertising. not good business.

A persons word is their word. This was a bad transaction and deserves negative feedback, or the whole feedback option should be taken off the forum.

Last Edited:
IMO, leave any and all feedback true and honest - good or bad. How would "they" negatively retaliate? Leave a negative feedback that reads something similar to "We both agreed to the deal. We agreed to meet. I backed out for no good reason - and kept it posted......", etc.

Too many people, not just here but in society in general, are keeping quite when things should be said. The offenders are assuming that by you being quite, you are agreeing with what they are doing, so they keep doing it.

I've left good and bad ratings. I have never felt bad about it. On negative feedback I have always sent a PM explaining why. They didn't like it, but what they did to me was not MY fault and I stated so.

Others need to know what people are doing to keep everything (and everyone) above-board.

My opinion.

Deal was agreed upon. Other side backed out in deference to a better deal. That's not ethical. That's not honest. He deserves negative feedback. It's a harsh reality that the other party will probably leave you negative feedback in turn. It will probably say something like "He had no reason to leave me negative feedback, but he did." Honestly, if I read something like that on someone's score, they probably get the benefit of the doubt. But its still bogus.

Drop the hammer. Your only as good as your word. If a deal was agreed to verbally or otherwise it should have been done.

Flatly pissing down your leg on a deal is unacceptable. I want to know who it was so I can steer clear too.

T_H

What difference does it make on the feedback. I worked hard to get a great score and the management wiped it all out.

I do think the guy owes you an appology and I certianly wouldn't deal with him again.

jj

Have you looked at your feedback lately? ;)

And one more vote for a negative, getting stood up and then extorted for more than what was agreed would draw a negative from me.

He agreed to the trade and we decided to meet up today at 8pm. A little while after agreeing to meet up he sent me another message stating that he wanted more cash

What a sack o' crap!

This is why we have a feedback system.
Flame his arse.

And one more vote for a negative, getting stood up and then extorted for more than what was agreed would draw a negative from me.

I had something for sale here and agreed to wait 2 weeks for the member to meet and do the deal, I got a phone call or PM (I can't remember which) on the day the deal was to be done asking if I would wait another week, I agreed. Next week comes and I even took off early from work (which cost me out of MY POCKET, at this point I would have practically been giving it away if you count MY LOST WAGES) so I could meet this member at the agreed place & time. I get there on time and wait 45min to an hour for member to show up, he didnt show up, no phone call , nothing. I'd call that being STOOD UP.. Also I'd like to add I had a few other offers at a higher price but refused them because my word is my honor... Those items are still in my safe, should I have left a negative feedback also ? I'd really like to say who this person is, I can guarentee you I will not deal with this person again.....

I had something for sale here and agreed to wait 2 weeks for the member to meet and do the deal, I got a phone call or PM (I can't remember which) on the day the deal was to be done asking if I would wait another week, I agreed. Next week comes and I even took off early from work (which cost me out of MY POCKET, at this point I would have practically been giving it away if you count MY LOST WAGES) so I could meet this member at the agreed place & time. I get there on time and wait 45min to an hour for member to show up, he didnt show up, no phone call , nothing. I'd call that being STOOD UP..... Those items are still in my safe, should I have left a negative feedback also ?

This is precisely why I won't hold a gun for anyone, I also give preference to the person who can complete the deal in a reasonable time over the first on to say I'll take it to an Ad.

I had something for sale here and agreed to wait 2 weeks for the member to meet and do the deal, I got a phone call or PM (I can't remember which) on the day the deal was to be done asking if I would wait another week, I agreed. Next week comes and I even took off early from work (which cost me out of MY POCKET, at this point I would have practically been giving it away if you count MY LOST WAGES) so I could meet this member at the agreed place & time. I get there on time and wait 45min to an hour for member to show up, he didnt show up, no phone call , nothing. I'd call that being STOOD UP.. Also I'd like to add I had a few other offers at a higher price but refused them because my word is my honor... Those items are still in my safe, should I have left a negative feedback also ? I'd really like to say who this person is, I can guarentee you I will not deal with this person again.....

Your issue is plain as day! That's a negative feedback the moment he didn't show or call!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to post negative feedback for the guy and use this thread as the "dead url" so he can look back and read it if he chooses.

ok this gets funny. When looking up the guys user ID I decided to check his other posts to see what his other traffic has been. At 8:30 PM he posted in a thread trying to buy the same type of pistol I was going to trade him. At 7:32pm he asked me to pay more if I wanted the trade haha. Classy.

I have had this happen to me, but in this situation I agreed to meet seller at a specific place and time. I was just leaving my house to meet seller and got a call saying he sold it to someone else. Sorry. I chalked it up to not dealing with this individual again. At least he called before I drove an hour to meet him or would have been real POed. I am not a vengeful person and beleive Karma will come back around in the end. At least I saved a few bucks and found something I wanted more a week later on this board. It all works out in the end.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top