JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the case of the Portland Police even the head cop thinks that cops are using thier guns too much

Shootings PPR #53

The Portland Police started 2010 with a near-record: Only one shooting had happened in 2009, part of a three year down-ward trend. Then came three early-year shootings in January, March and May, with the third coincident to the appointment of Chief Mike Reese (PPR #51). After a six month pause, the shootings began again in November, one week after Reese fired Officer Ron Frashour for his role in shooting and killing Aaron Campbell, with another 24 days later. Between the time we went to press and the time PPR #52 arrived in people's homes, the Portland Police had shot at another three people. This cluster of five shootings in six weeks was unprecedented* and led to an amazing statement by Chief Reese: that the number of shootings was "unacceptable... I consider one too many. We're going to do everything we can to prevent officers from using their firearms."

When the head of police think they are using thier guns too much something is definitely wrong. These boys in blue are acting like they are scared of thier own shadow.

James Ruby

The fundamental problem as I see it lies in the militarization of police departments. They have adopted the offensive posture of the military, a posture which I feel is wholly inappropriate.

They are supposed to be Officers of the Peace, now they have become Law Enforcement.. huge change for the worst

BTW California sucks

a 25 year old man should not pack a toy gun it could get him killed. by this time in his life he should be carrying real guns some people carry these toy guns to intimidate people and then this kind of stuff happens. we wern,t there guys he was going for his waist band where the gun was at . whitch one of us would not have shot honestly. i understand that there is bad cops in the world but give me a break. this guy was a man packing what the cops thought was a gun hes wearing scrubs what kind of costume is that ? plus i lived down in that area there are a lot of gang members there and the crime rate is high its not like here futher down in san diego its worse

Reality check.. in most of Cali an average person cannot obtain a CCP. It's one reason we left way back in 1991

lol, has rascal been a victim of police brutality? or perhaps rascal got a speeding ticket this week, and now police are awful. when some turd steals crap out of your house... who do you think should look for the individual?? are you going to take a few weeks off of work to conduct your investigation?? going to take your favorite firearm out on your hip and go knock on doors around the neighborhood demanding answers on where your items went?? or will you call the police, and let them handle it??

Saxon-
who should the bank call when it gets held up? who should knock on a person's door to tell them that their loved one has been killed in an accident? who should arrest a drunk driver thats on the same road that your wife takes to bring the kids home from soccer practice? maybe that drunk has the right to drive whichever roads he/she pleases, as drunk as they want? the constitution doesn't mention that people can't drive drunk.... why is it a law?!?!?! how weird - the founding fathers forgot to mention cars!!!

Like Rascal I have gone from being pro cop to very wary of them.. they have dug a deep hole as far as many citizens are concerned. I too would have been the type to have actually helped cops in the past, now I will likely walk away

This is why police can't be judged by anyone accept by other officers to determine if their actions were reasonable. You see a man passed out, I see a man that could be faking and waiting for an opportunity to wrestle with an officer and disarm them. You see a man in a costume, I see a man with a possible gun in his hip almost a week before Halloween (10/25/11).

You are endorsing the idea that Police can have no accountability but to themselves?..... Wow! Perhaps you ought to rethink this. I was under the impression that they are supposed to be public servants and thus accountable to the community they serve.

If you see a guy who appears to be passed out and your first thought is that the guy is lying in wait for you like some kind of ambush predator then I suggest you quit the Police force and join the Military. This is thinking that belongs on patrol in Afghanistan, not in a hotel stairwell in San Diego California.

If you see a guy who appears to be passed out and your first thought is that the guy is lying in wait for you like some kind of ambush predator then I suggest you quit the Police force and join the Military. This is thinking that belongs on patrol in Afghanistan, not in a hotel stairwell in San Diego California.

Right, because nobody has ever been shot by someone that looked like someone or something they weren't in San Jose California.:s0077:

One big advantage that a soldier in Afghanistan has is they get to assume anyone pointing something that looks like a gun at them IS an "ambush predator" without a bunch of Monday morning quarter backs second guessing their actions.

The hard part for for cops is differentiating the "ambush predator"
<broken link removed> from the IDIOTS, that make themselves unconscious in suspicious clothing, in suspicious locations, with, what looks to be a gun.

Like Rascal I have gone from being pro cop to very wary of them.. they have dug a deep hole as far as many citizens are concerned. I too would have been the type to have actually helped cops in the past, now I will likely walk away

First of all, there is not and never has been an expectation for you to 'help police'. But it is good to know that there are people out there with good in their hearts who would even consider it. Too bad you have renounced nobility in the face of a few incidents that you disagree DESPITE all of the good that LE brings on a daily basis. I personally disagree with you, and I think you may reconsider your statement of pacifism, just look:

Some scumbag has gained the upper hand in a struggle with an officer. You and your trusty firearm just happened to be in the neighborhood. Now you sit there for a minute watching the last few seconds of this fight unfold while contemplating whether or not you agree with decisions made in the past by other members of LE.

So, I ask:

Let the scumbag become the victor of this fight because you read on the internet that "police are out to get you" so he can slip off into your neighborhood and possibly into your home? Or step up and take an action that will help a good man get home to his family at the end of his shift. A guy that willing to resist the police is most likely a very violent individual.

Still gonna walk away? I think you're just having a 'little fun' with your keyboard in that last one, but that's just my opinion...

I know it has already been said, but, do a few wild situations (right or wrong) constitute you to ignore the positive deeds performed daily by the same people you would rather walk away from than help? If you have a fight or two with your wife, will it constitute grounds for divorce?

Perhaps fox news is the only news you know, and therefore every police action you have read about dealt with police corruption and scandal. I think everyone knows what type of news sells.

As far as this particular story goes.... the guy that got himself shot is going to make some sort of livable recovery. He may also be in a bit of trouble regarding his actions in this incident. I still say that he put himself exactly where he is.

You are endorsing the idea that Police can have no accountability but to themselves?

I'm not endorsing anything...you have no idea what LEO goes through or the decisions they have to make or the training the receive. LEO are judged by the "reasonable officer standard" meaning that they are not judged by the "reasonable person standard" that you and I are judged by.

Look it up.

The "reasonable officer" standard is a method often applied to law enforcement and other armed professions to help determine if a use of force was correctly applied. The test is usually applied to whether the level of force used was excessive or not. If an appropriately trained professional, knowing what the subject of the investigation knew at the time and following their agency guidelines (such as a force continuum), would have used the same level of force or higher, then the standard is met. If the level of response is determined to be justified, the quantity of force used is usually presumed to have been necessary unless there are additional factors. For example, should it be determined that a trained police officer was justified in using deadly force against a suspect, the number of times he fired is presumed to have been necessary to stop the suspect's action that justified use of deadly force, as long as there aren't other factors such as a reckless disregard of other officers' or bystanders' safety, or it is clearly proven that additional force was used after the suspect was no longer a threat.

First of all, there is not and never has been an expectation for you to 'help police'. But it is good to know that there are people out there with good in their hearts who would even consider it. Too bad you have renounced nobility in the face of a few incidents that you disagree DESPITE all of the good that LE brings on a daily basis. I personally disagree with you, and I think you may reconsider your statement of pacifism, just look:

Some scumbag has gained the upper hand in a struggle with an officer. You and your trusty firearm just happened to be in the neighborhood. Now you sit there for a minute watching the last few seconds of this fight unfold while contemplating whether or not you agree with decisions made in the past by other members of LE.

So, I ask:

Let the scumbag become the victor of this fight because you read on the internet that "police are out to get you" so he can slip off into your neighborhood and possibly into your home? Or step up and take an action that will help a good man get home to his family at the end of his shift. A guy that willing to resist the police is most likely a very violent individual.

Still gonna walk away? I think you're just having a 'little fun' with your keyboard in that last one, but that's just my opinion...

I know it has already been said, but, do a few wild situations (right or wrong) constitute you to ignore the positive deeds performed daily by the same people you would rather walk away from than help? If you have a fight or two with your wife, will it constitute grounds for divorce?

Perhaps fox news is the only news you know, and therefore every police action you have read about dealt with police corruption and scandal. I think everyone knows what type of news sells.

As far as this particular story goes.... the guy that got himself shot is going to make some sort of livable recovery. He may also be in a bit of trouble regarding his actions in this incident. I still say that he put himself exactly where he is.

I have not renounced nobility, most cops have.. here is who you are chatting with, sir

This thread has lost it intrigue. The cop haters are saying the same crap. Their supporters are saying the same things. This is the same thread that has been on this site hundreds of times under hundreds of different titles. What's it matter? You cop bashers won't change our minds. We won't change your minds. Frankly, I don't care to try anymore tonight.

most cops have lost their nobility? again..... where do your statistics come from? like i said a few members of LE have certainly fit the stereotype you persistently fantasize over, but to say most is because you are probably a person who speaks in extremes or absolutes. people who speak in extremes and absolutes (in my experience) are full of bull crap. instead of reading from the internet and re-posting it as if you believe it to be fact.... research a little more... maybe go on a patrol ride along or two with your local agency. i know that this takes some intellectual curiosity, but hang in there.... you will get a feel for what happens in a real most of the time setting. also, you are likely to learn something. it may, however, require to get out of your shell or bubble.

most cops have lost their nobility? again..... where do your statistics come from? like i said a few members of LE have certainly fit the stereotype you persistently fantasize over, but to say most is because you are probably a person who speaks in extremes or absolutes. people who speak in extremes and absolutes (in my experience) are full of bull crap. instead of reading from the internet and re-posting it as if you believe it to be fact.... research a little more... maybe go on a patrol ride along or two with your local agency. i know that this takes some intellectual curiosity, but hang in there.... you will get a feel for what happens in a real most of the time setting. also, you are likely to learn something. it may, however, require to get out of your shell or bubble.

What is the "shell or bubble" you speak of? Show it to me, I shall smite it.

So, I ask:

I for one am tired of always being treated like a bad guy for no reason. If I go to help how do I know I will not be treated like part of the problem. They have the ability to change opinion of themselfs. All they have to do is change the way the treat people who are not being jerks to them. If I treat with respect then they should do the same.

I for one am tired of always being treated like a bad guy for no reason. If I go to help how do I know I will not be treated like part of the problem. They have the ability to change opinion of themselfs. All they have to do is change the way the treat people who are not being jerks to them. If I treat with respect then they should do the same.

its definitely them.... there is no way on earth that your attitude has ever contributed to their opinion of you, right? no one says you have to ever help out with anything, LE related or not. if there is ever a situation that you could actually help change the outcome of for the better... you will just know it when you see it. that being said, i know that i would take measures to save a person's life whether or not they were "mean" to me.

i dont think theyre actually 'treating you like a bad guy' as much as they are prepared to meet any threat at any time and win the fight every time (again, so they can go home at night.)

my advice would be: drive safer so you dont get pulled over so much. you may even have to swallow a little pride, and read your driver's manual again. at the cost of spending your time, you just may take yourself out of the "victim" status you claim

On an average, how many personal interactions a year do you have with cops?

Also, how many times have you gone to "help" a cop in your lifetime?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top