JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
" why you running?" "i scared"
"why you scared?" "you chsin me"

give that female Highway Patrol trooper a raise for catching the miami pd bad boy

<broken link removed>
Miami Police Officer Caught Driving 120 mph

Yeah let's sneak up on someone who maybe passed out, or..... Not just because you are yelling at them and they don't respond doesnt mean they are passed out. Sure the other police could shoot the guy if he moves but what if he waits until the officer is real close grabs him pulls him in so the other police can't shoot without hitting their buddy and as he is pulling the officer in he pulls a real gun and shoots the officer. It can happen real fast don't you like going home after getting off work I do and thank god I don't have to worry about people possibly shooting at me when I approach them as police do. Yeah there are bad police and good ones and media does like twisting stories for Sensationalism, dirty laundry... Like it was said we were not there, we were not the one who might not go home after work cause someone may or may not have had a real gun or not even if the shot didn't kill you it still hurts like **** and it's not like the movies were you're up and going again a day or two later ever seen what a bullet does to an animal while you gut it and skin it. Anyway that's my one cent worth.

That is exactly what I would have done if I were an officer responding to such a call - I would sneak up on the guy with a partner providing cover and then physically restrain the suspect while removing the firearm. If while approaching the guy draws well then I would trust my buddy to take him out. That is what I would call an acceptable trade off between officer safety and protecting and serving the public.... in short good police work. Another option might have been to wake him at a safe distance from a position of cover - this would take away the immediacy of the need to shoot for self protection.
We need to get the military mentality out of police work, they are apples and oranges. If you are so concerned with your own safety that you are willing to gun down a citizen rather than expose yourself to a small degree of risk then in my opinion you have no business being a police officer.

That is exactly what I would have done if I were an officer responding to such a call - I would sneak up on the guy with a partner providing cover and then physically restrain the suspect while removing the firearm. If while approaching the guy draws well then I would trust my buddy to take him out. That is what I would call an acceptable trade off between officer safety and protecting and serving the public.... in short good police work. Another option might have been to wake him at a safe distance from a position of cover - this would take away the immediacy of the need to shoot for self protection.
We need to get the military mentality out of police work, they are apples and oranges. If you are so concerned with your own safety that you are willing to gun down a citizen rather than expose yourself to a small degree of risk then in my opinion you have no business being a police officer.

Getting shot and killed is a small degree of risk? They tried to wake him up at a distance (according to the news report). He woke up and immediately reached for a gun (albeit a plastic gun, smart choice of ensemble) in his wasteband (again according to the news report). The officer, in fear for his life, because someone reached for a gun, at least as far as he knows, shoots to protect himself and the public in the area. If the news report is accurate, and who knows if that is the case, then it seems like the individual who was shot made a very tragic and poor choice and the officer made a difficult, but reasonable choice...

The officers involved do not forfeit their right to go home and the end of their shift simply because they put on their uniform.

I'm guessing that's why you AREN'T an officer responding to such a situation. If you DID do that, then the guy wakes up, reaches for his "gun" then gets gunned down by your partner, WHAT WOULD BE THE DIFFERENCE?

I'm guessing that's why you AREN'T an officer responding to such a situation. If you DID do that, then the guy wakes up, reaches for his "gun" then gets gunned down by your partner, WHAT WOULD BE THE DIFFERENCE?

I did consider a law enforcement career at one point and took a number of criminal justice courses. Had I taken that path I would have considered it my duty to put my life at risk for the sake of others - and not just other cops.
When did we become such a fearful society that we automatically assume the worst and are so quick to employ deadly force?

^ Here's something you might ask yourself. Would YOU "sneak up" on an armed suspect(who may or may not be sleeping) while being "covered" by a random selection (whoever showed up) of your current co-workers? I know I sure as heck wouldn't.

If I didn't feel a co-worker was competent then I'd wait for more backup, there was no apparent immediacy to this perceived threat.

I did consider a law enforcement career at one point and took a number of criminal justice courses. Had I taken that path I would have considered it my duty to put my life at risk for the sake of others - and not just other cops.

So what part of putting your life on the line, for mediocre pay, only to have everyone "second guessing" your every move made you decide NOT to be a cop?

When did we become such a fearful society that we automatically assume the worst and are so quick to employ deadly force?

I guess when cops started getting killed because they assumed the best.

If I didn't feel a co-worker was competent then I'd wait for more backup, there was no apparent immediacy to this perceived threat.

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. But are you really gonna shut down police duties for the city while waiting for "competent" back-up to respond to a call about a drunk that passed out after a Halloween party with a toy gun in his pants?

Exactly...... someone else's right to go home was forfeited instead, a member of the very community they swore to protect.

Someone who made a poor and tragic choice. It was his choice to go out in public with a gun looking item sticking in his belt. It was his choice to pass out or fall asleep (not 100% sure based on the news report, go figure) in a public area, where people were apparently worried enough to call the police. It was his choice to reach for the item when he was woke up by the officers. These were his choices. They ended in him being shot and wounded. People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

This is the list of Police Officers who have lost their lives this year. 52 have died by gunfire. 1 by stabbing. 11 by vehicular assault.

Law Enforcement Line of Duty Deaths in 2011

In case you have forgotten, here's a link to the Eugene Officer who was gunned down for no reason.

<broken link removed>

Or the Officers who were killed in the coffee shop in Washington.

<broken link removed>

Or the Officer shot in Lincoln City for no reason.

Shooting paralyzes Waldport | Main News | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

Police Officers put their lives on the line every shift to enforce the laws that we as a society have made. Sometimes this costs them their lives. They deserve our respect, same as the soldiers who are protecting the values we as a society put forth in our Constitution and laws. Just my opinion.

So its better that civilians are killed instead of cops?

Every Officer I know would argue its best when no one is killed. But if someone is killed, they would prefer it would be the person who made the poor choices, rather than the innocent bystanders or the people doing their job upholding the law.

Police Officers put their lives on the line every shift to enforce the laws that we as a society have made. Sometimes this costs them their lives. They deserve our respect, same as the soldiers who are protecting the values we as a society put forth in our Constitution and laws. Just my opinion.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with my argument. I do not hate nor disrespect Police officers. My argument is that police forces have become militarized and are prone to aggressive solutions to problems - solutions which I feel are often inappropriate.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with my argument. I do not hate nor disrespect Police officers. My argument is that police forces have become militarized and are prone to aggressive solutions to problems - solutions which I feel are often inappropriate.

How would you have them react to an individual who reaches for what can reasonably be seen as a gun? Taze? OC? If it fails to stop the individual? If they reacted with less force, and it had been a real gun, and a bystander or officer was killed or injured, would you then question whether they used enough force? The unfortunate truth is that society has violent elements, and often these days, aggressive solutions are the ones least likely to end in the death of a bystander or an officer.

Again, people who make poor choices must be prepared to live with these choices.

How would you have them react to an individual who reaches for what can reasonably be seen as a gun? Taze? OC? If it fails to stop the individual? If they reacted with less force, and it had been a real gun, and a bystander or officer was killed or injured, would you then question whether they used enough force? The unfortunate truth is that society has violent elements, and often these days, aggressive solutions are the ones least likely to end in the death of a bystander or an officer.

Again, people who make poor choices must be prepared to live with these choices.

I already explained what I would have done, either approach and disarm with a covering officer or rouse the guy from a position that would allow cover and not force a shoot situation.
I don't consider this "choice" poor enough to warrant a death sentence. A man with a scoped rifle is wandering around in a wooded area - should the cops assume he is a sniper.... or is he a hunter? A man is openly carrying a pistol in a city environment - is he planning a robbery or is he just walking to his car from a nearby gun shop? A man is laying in a hotel hallway wearing strange attire with what appears to be a tucked weapon, it is a week before Halloween - is he a murderer lying in wait to kill cops.... or is he just a drunken Halloween partier? It's really easy to make wrong assumptions when you adopt a culture of suspicion and aggressive response.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top