JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something to think about: "born and raised rural folk" are not particularly fond of "city folk". You can label it xenophobia, but it is real and has been for many centuries. Fear of invasion, followed by invasion (e.g. second home in the country etc.) coming to fruition. Kind of like bugs in your house. So it is always best to be aware of your 'surroundings'. While a camp spot may be labeled "undeveloped" it is in someones 'backyard'.

Had some clowns doing similar bullsnot coming over 90 late one night. Pull up behind with brights on, pass, slow down, repeat. I had the wife pull off at the Easton exit, got out and very OBVIOUSLY racked one into the chamber. They left at a high rate of speed. :)

On my way to my new house to do a final walkthrough before closing a few weeks ago I had extremely similar happen around the Selah area just before Yakima on 82 around 4am. (left at about 2 or 3am to make the long 9-10hr drive)

Comes behind me in the right lane with brights on riding my bumper, gets in the left lane slowly passes, and cuts me off within inches of my front bumper and slows down. So I got over to left lane and resumed cruise control and ignored them. Guess they didn't get the reaction they wanted and they whipped off at the Selah exit and left. In my younger days I might have been pissed and had a reaction. Now a days I just can't be bothered to care about someone's temper tantrum and quite obviously looking to start an incident. Even though I was armed. Just avoided and moved on with my long journey.

So far no updates from the sheriff. Some comments suggest it was near a grow operation; however, the OP states they were very close to a nearby, well known, hot spring.

-Robert

One would think with Marijana now being legal and in fact a surplus of it that this kind of activity would have stopped.

and I am always called a crazy rambo type for bringing my AR camping. There are too many local yokels not to and this only proves it.

If I were in this situation and bullets were flying by, I would be returning fire.

Last Edited:
You obviously dont have a NV setup..... thats what you do!! its America!!let me guess you dont have a suppressor either:confused:;);)
Wish I had one! They are totally cool! The guy showed it to us when he came into camp to say hey. I got to look through his NV and was amazed! Have wanted one ever since!

And would also love to have a few suppressors too!

Anyone who shoots in my general direction while camping is going to find out really quick that that might have been something that was a bad idea . I go heavily armed into camp. Abnormally heavily armed.

... should we organize a NWFA camping trip? Lol...

-Robert
Actually, we are... sort of. Sat night, the 17th, a few of us are camping at NF Wolf Creek Rd, off lane 3. We'll be there all day Sat to watch the tractor till up the ground and prep for Sunday's Planting Party. So rather than two trips out there that weekend, we'll camp out and be ready to greet the volunteers on Sunday (well, might be ready... depends on how much we drink!).

Last time we camped there, we had a great evening shoot for the last half hour after sunset. Had some fire rings flare out and could actually see the sparks fly off the steel targets. It was a blast!

Anyone that cares to join us is welcome. And after the planting party we'll shoot again!

A NWFA camping trip would be fun.
But , if someone suggests a banjo and a canoe trip...I'll pass thanks....:eek: :D
Andy
E4727231-72CF-4C60-BBF9-29702CC578A6.jpeg
:s0114:

Actually, we are... sort of. Sat night, the 17th, a few of us are camping at NF Wolf Creek Rd, off lane 3. We'll be there all day Sat to watch the tractor till up the ground and prep for Sunday's Planting Party. So rather than two trips out there that weekend, we'll camp out and be ready to greet the volunteers on Sunday (well, might be ready... depends on how much we drink!).

Last time we camped there, we had a great evening shoot for the last half hour after sunset. Had some fire rings flare out and could actually see the sparks fly off the steel targets. It was a blast!

Anyone that cares to join us is welcome. And after the planting party we'll shoot again!
It's on the calendar!

I've been following the clean up thread for this weekend (waiting to see if I can reschedule plans), but did not see the one about the 17th.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

-Robert

Maybe our Oakridge members could keep an eye out.

Big Chevy... check. I will keep and eye out, because Oakridge is the Wild West lately. A lot of 'bubblegum' has happened up here, especially in the last two years. But this is a really small town. Things get around and I never heard of any story like that. I've had occasion to deal with the Oakridge Police a couple times recently and found them to be prompt and on point, and thank God. Apart from the locals, there's two or three Oregon State Police officers that patrol up here daily. And Forest Service law enforcement, two of them... one in a Tahoe and one in a pickup. I see them all the time and talk to them occasionally. Good people all, in my experience. I never see LCSO Deputies, I mean Never, and the two times I've talked to local dispatch it went to the locals. So I'm not sure why the County got the OP's call. That's a head scratcher. Not to say people are fudging, because my circle of folks doesn't know everything. And that element exists up here for sure, old logger banjo guys who city types think would shoot up a campsite just because a Prius was parked in front. I see those fellas at the range and other places but I like them, frankly. And for full disclosure, I've lived in the city a large portion of my life. The old logger types up here are good dudes. I'd be one of them if hard work didn't scare me so much. Long story short, I don't think so. Story seems hinky.

I've been following the clean up thread for this weekend (waiting to see if I can reschedule plans), but did not see the one about the 17th.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

-Robert
We haven't made an Event out of the planting party, on NWFA, but probably will soon. It is an event on the Trash No Land site. So far, it's mostly been discussed in the main Wolf Creek Lanes thread (about page 155-ish). We've been calling it the Public Safety Project.

Details are here: https://www.trashnoland.org/event/planting-party-phase-i-pubic-safety-wolf-creek-lanes/

I really like Oakridge and use to pass through frequently , and stop and eat on occasion the pizza place.

Actually been 'kicking' around the idea of moving there - But i'll bring a good 'element' to the town!

Big Mountain Pizza is still open, heroically. You might like living here. I was born and raised over your way, 70s and 80s. Oakridge is a lot like There was then... sleepy. Suits me fine. Close enough to the valley for the good, but far enough away. Most people wave. There's five streams that converge here, and a nice reservoir. Good access to everywhere, especially the Umpqua drainage for elk hunting. The views are stunning. Real estate is affordable, relatively. Local tourist economy brings a in lot of mountain bikers from Seattle and whatnot, so... whatever. But, the only gunfire I hear is from the range about a 1.5 miles away, faint and fired in friendship. You've got to know where to go to get a membership, because they don't advertise. Let me know if you make it over here and I'll hook you up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top