JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few years back, didn't two teachers get shot/killed while camping outside of Oakridge?
I vaguely recall reading about this before moving here.

Same with the story (in WA) of a father camping with his two young children if I recall correctly and some bastid shot and killed the father! Tried to follow up on the story and see if the perp was caught. Other accounts said some campers had bullet holes in the cars after a day hike.

That father was shot in Malibu Creek State Park, just two miles from the M*A*S*H filming site in California. The sheriff had been investigating similar shootings in that area that missed the targets but never warned anyone.

That father was shot in Malibu Creek State Park, just two miles from the M*A*S*H filming site in California. The sheriff had been investigating similar shootings in that area that missed the targets but never warned anyone.
Yes, you are correct. Not sure why I thought it was in WA. Turns out they caught the perp/ suspect.

Some sinister people out there!!

It really does sound like criminals trying to drive people away without revealing their identity. That or a complete psycho or not the truth. I'm expecting it to be mostly the first one.
I understand on a firearms forum you're naturally going to get some "just shoot back" responses. The fact is it's usually the first guy who shoots who gets to walk away from these situations. I have to say that if he unloaded a full mag and specifically hit the tree next to you and NOT the campers, he probably meant to hit the tree and not the campers. I have to agree that this sounded like someone who had some type of criminal association and you (OP) stumbled into the wrong place at the wrong time. Could have also just been some dickhead trying to scare the bubblegum out of you all.

I find it interesting that given the circumstances as described someone was able to read the license plate.

Maybe someone that has better access to records can chime in, however my resources do not list this as a valid Oregon plate number.

Thin story, good for around the campfire.

Just saying.

I find it interesting that given the circumstances as described someone was able to read the license plate.

Maybe someone that has better access to records can chime in, however my resources do not list this as a valid Oregon plate number.

Thin story, good for around the campfire.

Just saying.

My experience with trying to read plates at a distance and under stress tells me it's likely not an accurate plate number; however, with a proper description of the vehicle (year, make, model) one could narrow it down if it was close.

-Robert

My experience with trying to read plates at a distance and under stress tells me it's likely not an accurate plate number; however, with a proper description of the vehicle (year, make, model) one could narrow it down if it was close.

-Robert

Still see it as a internet campfire story.

Well, considering that the area is DAY USE ONLY - NO OVERNIGHT PARKING - NO CAMPING allowed near the hot springs nor the trailhead located there; perhaps it was locals telling these hippies to "git the fug on".

They're fortunate they weren't made to squeal like a pig.

I had an incident while camping next to our favorite river. Some clowns showed up after dark and were doing mag dumps with a 10 shot .22 pistol. We were separated from them by about 75 yards down a steep slope, some bolders and trees. There is no way they knew we were there but the final straw was when l heard one go over our heads, so l fired a warning shot with a .44 magum revolver. I am sure they saw the muzzle flash since they were hot loads and it was pitch dark, anyways, they did a quick mag dump and took off. Smart move on their part because the next one was cutting branches over their heads.

Well, considering that the area is DAY USE ONLY - NO OVERNIGHT PARKING - NO CAMPING allowed near the hot springs nor the trailhead located there; perhaps it was locals telling these hippies to "git the fug on".

The local "HOA" out in full force... lol.

OP did state 40 yards away from a trail head, and "dispersed" camping. That does sound much too close.

-Robert

They're fortunate they weren't made to squeal like a pig.
I suppose two wrongs make a right then?

-Robert
I can't even remember my own plate # after looking at it a million times.

Always Always packing when i go camping.Never know when you could run into a bear or a bunch of dumbazzs. I pack a 357 and the wife has a 9mm plenty of ammo. YOU just never know out there.

That did happen in about 2004
Looks like it was July 2005. I'm very familiar with the area that happened in. I'm not familiar with Wall Creek Hot Springs, but I don't believe the incident in the OP is anywhere near the double murder scene. However, they both happened not too far from Oakridge.

Weirdly worded and phrased from someone who just had a mag dump at them and spent the evening pinned down in his tent.

And I can't imagine the cops not being interested in a shots fired call. They live to play cops and bad guys.

Perhaps it was a late night collision of a couple of bung holes?
It was right by the Columbo river so..

" I've heard the horror stories and am surprised it took this long for something to happen to me. Stay safe out there and know that there are terrible people out there."

Sounds like a "victim" looking for his pity party.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews