JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, finally shot a friends 8" ported .460 S&W.

Not as bad as I thought it would be but it needs better (and bigger) grips.

I'd compare it with a 6" .44 mag Super Blackhawk with full house loads.
That porting does a lot. I shot a short barrel ported 500sw; it was a puppy.

Oh this one bucked pretty good - but very controllable and like I said better grips would help.

The grips he has on it now are a rubber, finger grip style but are about a K frame size. Heck I would not like them on a K frame either.

Last Edited:
S&W/Hogue make a X-Frame rubber grip just for the X-Frame guns.

I found my 460V (5" with comp) to be a much nicer to shoot gun than my 329PD (.44 mag) which weighs half the 460V and has no comp or porting. I put the XFrame grips on the 329PD but I have not shot it yet with those grips - the only real difference is the rubber is softer on the backstrap than the N-Frame Hogue grips that come with the 329PD.

Interesting. I've had an interested, on and off, with .460 S&W, if for no other reason the versatility of being able to to run .45 Scofield, .45 LC, .454 Casull, in addition to the aforementioned. However, I always assumed the recoil would be vicious. Full house .44 Magnum loads are manageable for me and I shoot them all the time, but a lot more than that can be unpleasant, and therefore not shot much. (I briefly had a pretty light .50Æ revolver; shooting that was like grabbing ahold of a lightning bolt. :s0112:)

Grips really are important. I've never shot the .460 or .500 S&Ws, but do have a .480 Ruger. That thing was miserable with the stock grips (wood with rubber inlay) because it was open behind the trigger guard. I always had a purple bruise on my middle finger and winced after shooting a few rounds. I went to the Hogue Tamer grip. It filled in the spot behind the trigger guard, but it was just to large for my wimpy hands. Finally I found a Pachmayr Decelerator grip and that helped immensely. It filled in behind the trigger guard and was slimmer, allowing for me to get a good grip.

Last Edited:
Interesting. I've had an interested, on and off, with .460 S&W, if for no other reason the versatility of being able to to run .45 Scofield, .45 LC, .454 Casull, in addition to the aforementioned. However, I always assumed the recoil would be vicious. Full house .44 Magnum loads are manageable for me and I shoot them all the time, but a lot more than that can be unpleasant, and therefore not shot much. (I briefly had a pretty light .50Æ revolver; shooting that was like grabbing ahold of a lightning bolt. :s0112:)
IMO the 460V (recently sold) was/is a pussycat compared to my 329PD, and not at all "vicious".

Vicious is how I would refer to my 329PD - how long your hand hurts depends on the load shot, from 10-30 seconds with .44 special, to 10-30 minutes with 300 gr bear loads at 1200fps. And that is with the Hogue rubber grips. I would not ever want to shoot it with wood grips - never ever.

With a 275 gr load at near 2K FPS in the 460V, I knew I had shot a heavy magnum load, but it didn't hurt my hands at all - unlike the 329PD does with any load.

I would put the 460 magnum loads in the 460V at about a step above shooting my 325TR with 230gr ball ammo - i.e., probably about the same as shooting full 240 gr .44 mag loads in a "normal" weight revolver - e.g., a 29/629 weight.

Plus, you can have the cylinder cut to shoot .45 ACP, but then you have to use moon clips for all cartridges, not just .45 ACP

The reason I sold/traded my 460V last week, was because I now have the 325TR and I would rather have a Gunsite Scout and a chainsaw than the 460V.

700 grain bullets? :D
Oh yeah they are a blast, literally.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews