JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, finally shot a friends 8" ported .460 S&W.

Not as bad as I thought it would be but it needs better (and bigger) grips.

I'd compare it with a 6" .44 mag Super Blackhawk with full house loads.
That porting does a lot. I shot a short barrel ported 500sw; it was a puppy.

Oh this one bucked pretty good - but very controllable and like I said better grips would help.

The grips he has on it now are a rubber, finger grip style but are about a K frame size. Heck I would not like them on a K frame either.

Last Edited:
S&W/Hogue make a X-Frame rubber grip just for the X-Frame guns.

I found my 460V (5" with comp) to be a much nicer to shoot gun than my 329PD (.44 mag) which weighs half the 460V and has no comp or porting. I put the XFrame grips on the 329PD but I have not shot it yet with those grips - the only real difference is the rubber is softer on the backstrap than the N-Frame Hogue grips that come with the 329PD.

Interesting. I've had an interested, on and off, with .460 S&W, if for no other reason the versatility of being able to to run .45 Scofield, .45 LC, .454 Casull, in addition to the aforementioned. However, I always assumed the recoil would be vicious. Full house .44 Magnum loads are manageable for me and I shoot them all the time, but a lot more than that can be unpleasant, and therefore not shot much. (I briefly had a pretty light .50Æ revolver; shooting that was like grabbing ahold of a lightning bolt. :s0112:)

Grips really are important. I've never shot the .460 or .500 S&Ws, but do have a .480 Ruger. That thing was miserable with the stock grips (wood with rubber inlay) because it was open behind the trigger guard. I always had a purple bruise on my middle finger and winced after shooting a few rounds. I went to the Hogue Tamer grip. It filled in the spot behind the trigger guard, but it was just to large for my wimpy hands. Finally I found a Pachmayr Decelerator grip and that helped immensely. It filled in behind the trigger guard and was slimmer, allowing for me to get a good grip.

Last Edited:
Interesting. I've had an interested, on and off, with .460 S&W, if for no other reason the versatility of being able to to run .45 Scofield, .45 LC, .454 Casull, in addition to the aforementioned. However, I always assumed the recoil would be vicious. Full house .44 Magnum loads are manageable for me and I shoot them all the time, but a lot more than that can be unpleasant, and therefore not shot much. (I briefly had a pretty light .50Æ revolver; shooting that was like grabbing ahold of a lightning bolt. :s0112:)
IMO the 460V (recently sold) was/is a pussycat compared to my 329PD, and not at all "vicious".

Vicious is how I would refer to my 329PD - how long your hand hurts depends on the load shot, from 10-30 seconds with .44 special, to 10-30 minutes with 300 gr bear loads at 1200fps. And that is with the Hogue rubber grips. I would not ever want to shoot it with wood grips - never ever.

With a 275 gr load at near 2K FPS in the 460V, I knew I had shot a heavy magnum load, but it didn't hurt my hands at all - unlike the 329PD does with any load.

I would put the 460 magnum loads in the 460V at about a step above shooting my 325TR with 230gr ball ammo - i.e., probably about the same as shooting full 240 gr .44 mag loads in a "normal" weight revolver - e.g., a 29/629 weight.

Plus, you can have the cylinder cut to shoot .45 ACP, but then you have to use moon clips for all cartridges, not just .45 ACP

The reason I sold/traded my 460V last week, was because I now have the 325TR and I would rather have a Gunsite Scout and a chainsaw than the 460V.

700 grain bullets? :D
Oh yeah they are a blast, literally.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews