JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was my thought.
If he kept the loopy lever, he could reenact the jousting scene from True Grit with his buddies every weekend, by yelling...
"Fill yer hands, you sonofa….!!!! "

….:p:D

Oh, I'm keeping the loop. I had my doubts, but after shooting it, no problem with that. Without a stock it is worthless, but sticking a stamp on it will rectify said. :D

Well, then the plan is coming together:

• Talked to Velzey and he will thread said and slick up the action. Once I have his FFL, I'll send it in for his most excellent ministrations.
  • Ran the paperwork logistics past mi mujer tonight. She is excited and we will go ahead with said tomorrow. Then this wacky fellow will file via eForms and then do the prints.
  • After the feds approve my antics, order the parts from Boyds. (After discussions with them, I'm confident this is the way to go.)
  • I'll have the engraving done by a firm that does so via laser, that I talked with today. They can do so on the lever, which is delightfully silly, but practical.
  • Once it is all approved, final assembly.
Sounds like a funky adventure. (And we have a far funkier adventure is in the works, but that has nothing to do with this project, so I digress. :s0112:)

Well, sent it off to Velzey yesterday for the threading and internal polishing. Once he sends it back, I'll file the Form 1 on eForms.

I'm thinking for a sling one of those lace on "universal" types.

siGIs4A.png

Or maybe none at all. Haven't decided yet.

If you're gonna carry the gun any distance, you'd do well to sling it.
My dad slung his '94 back in the 70's for that very reason and he convinced me and my brother to do the same with ours.
Nice thing about a lever gun, you can set the forward swivel on the magazine, near the forward barrel band, instead of the forearm stock and the muzzle will NEVER catch on low hanging branches.
Dads94_1.jpg
DSCN2195.JPG
DSCN2209.JPG
It's a really nice setup!
The lace-on sling is cool, but I would fear that the butt end would slip out at the worst possible moment.
...but it does look cool.

Last Edited:
Well, then the plan is coming together:

• Talked to Velzey and he will thread said and slick up the action. Once I have his FFL, I'll send it in for his most excellent ministrations.
  • Ran the paperwork logistics past mi mujer tonight. She is excited and we will go ahead with said tomorrow. Then this wacky fellow will file via eForms and then do the prints.
  • After the feds approve my antics, order the parts from Boyds. (After discussions with them, I'm confident this is the way to go.)
  • I'll have the engraving done by a firm that does so via laser, that I talked with today. They can do so on the lever, which is delightfully silly, but practical.
  • Once it is all approved, final assembly.
Sounds like a funky adventure. (And we have a far funkier adventure is in the works, but that has nothing to do with this project, so I digress. :s0112:)

Looks like a fun project. I like how you think.

My one question is about the laser engraving. I have been lead to believe that laser engraving is not deep enough to meet the NFA spec. Have I been mislead?

My one question is about the laser engraving. I have been lead to believe that laser engraving is not deep enough to meet the NFA spec. Have I been mislead?

I know there are several companies that use that technique for NFA markings (google "laser engraving NFA"), including one in Eugene. The depth has to be .003", which isn't real deep. Beyond that, I don't know anything official that specifically references that technique. Cheers. :)

Received this pic from our friend Velzey:

VelMurp.jpg

As soon it comes back, F1 SBR filing here we come. (Discussed how to nail down fingerprints with mi Esposita, considering she'll be gone at various times this summer, for fun and less so with family issues, but we have a plan, as we've always figured out, well, everything.) Delightfully gonzo, my friends. :s0155:

Received it back from Velzey yesterday. Action is super smooth now. And the threading seems to work for the can:

rosscan.jpg

I just filed the SBR Form 1 with the ATF on the eforms site *...

UgXRVC.gif

* Man, what dumpster-fire, POS of a system. What should have taken, maybe, a ½ hour ended up being almost three. Unbelievable ... well, I wish I could say that.

Well, naturally, still playing the waiting game with a particular federal agency. Word is eForms is super fast these days. (By that I mean reports of weeks rather than months; disgusting that "weeks" is considered lightning fast.) Hey, here's hoping so. Since mommy is napping and potato-heads are watching some cartoon fish (Nemo, hmm ... 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea reference? Who knows) I'm left to my own devices. Two mods I'm thinking of is:

Number One:
The Intratubes suggest I replace the plastic magazine follower with a metal one. Seems legit, but is it worth the bother?

Number Two:
I'm kind of thinking of removing the saddle ring* because I can't think of any real use and it flops / clanks around. Locomotion on our present location is not on a horse, but via MULE and pickup truck, nor do I plan said where we are going. (Largest critters planned are goats and they aren't used for transport.) Any reason why said removal would be ill-advised?

* This:
levloop.jpg

I'm kind of thinking of removing the saddle ring* because I can't think of any real use and it flops / clanks around. Locomotion on our present location is not on a horse, but via MULE and pickup truck, nor do I plan said where we are going. (Largest critters planned are goats and they aren't use for transport.) Any reason why said removal would be ill-advised?
Yeah, you can't be an outlaw on a motorcycle without the saddle ring. :rolleyes:

Aside from having a sling on it, can't think of a reason to keep it unless it was a collector's gun? I'm sure someone with more experience can say more if its worth it or not.

Yeah, you can't be an outlaw on a motorcycle without the saddle ring. :rolleyes:

Aside from having a sling on it, can't think of a reason to keep it unless it was a collector's gun? I'm sure someone with more experience can say more if its worth it or not.

Definitely not a "collector's guns". I'd never engage on these antics on a classic Winchester. Being that this one is modern and a Rossi, I don't have any concern about the shenanigans.

Pry away at it. Either keep the staple or take it out then weld the holes shut, its peened in I think? Or leave the staple.

So disassemble and cut off the peened ends and just go on from there.

Roger-dodger. I can't think of a good reason to leave the ring there. The staple I probably will because it is harmless and no need for another job on this one. Can't wait to wrap this project up. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top