JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, this evening I acquired a Rossi Ranch Hand. They look like this:

64675_1.jpg

In that factory-built state it is a "pistol", not NFA. Naturally, I have no intention of leaving it in said state. My plan is to:

• Thread the barrel to ½ x 28 for use with a can.
  • File via eForms for a stamp to SBR said.
  • While waiting on los Federales, maybe replace the lever. I'm not sold on the hoop, though I am not sure.
  • After the .gov types approve my ability to exercise an enumerated right, and, naturally, take my two c-notes, engrave something metal on it with my trust info, and turn it into a the super small carbine I have in mind.
On the latter point, my options are:
  • Obtain a full length stock and fit it. Rossi won't sell me one direct, but they can be acquired elsewhere. Boyd's has an aftermarket stock.
  • Remove the stock, have a gunsmith add a few inches. Pay him/her for that, but I reassemble. (I'm told this is Kosher.)
  • Get really wacky and go with a metal worked extension I'm pondering, up to and including utilizing a spare Škorpion stock I found in a parts box. (I am quite silly these days, but this may be too far.).
  • (For the love of all that is holy, please no one mention an arm brace.)
Thoughts on the project, ideas on direction, and other wacky adventures? Muchas gracias amigos. :D

I'll be following this.

I would say go nuts! The crazier the better.

upload_2019-4-30_20-29-8.jpeg

Perhaps a folding stock of some sort?

Underfolder :eek:

Definitely needs a rail and microdot!

upload_2019-4-30_20-28-41.jpeg

I like the idea of a ultra short barreled rifle concept...
Wood stock ....Large lever / standard lever , whichever you prefer...I'd then think about a rear sight mod...Maybe just a large wide "V" or "U" single "Express Rifle " style rear sight ...great for quick close range shots.. (100 yards or so )

Looking for to seeing the finished rifle.
Andy

Not a fan of rifle-pistols.
If I use a handgun to fight my way to my rifle. Then my rifle better not be a pistol. o_O

Now if you want it as a novelty? Or to go around import restrictions. As in the case of the swiss 550 rifles and the like. Then more power to you.

Last Edited:
Countrygent, where did you find the 38/357 mares leg anyways?

Your pretty good at finding the things I've been lucky enough not to find, because if I did, I'd buy them.

Countrygent, where did you find the 38/357 mares leg anyways?

Your pretty good at finding the things I've been lucky enough not to find, because if I did, I'd buy them.

I found a lightly used one on Gunbroker. I couldn't find any vendor selling a new one. (Well, at least in this country; there is one dealer in Canada that still has NIB specimens.)

I found a lightly used one on Gunbroker. I couldn't find any vendor selling a new one. (Well, at least in this country; there is one dealer in Canada that still has NIB specimens.)
Ahh yes gunbroker, I've purposely not gone on that website for many reasons, mostly so I can save money.

"Remove the stock, have a gunsmith add a few inches. Pay him/her for that, but I reassemble. (I'm told this is Kosher.)"
How would a gunsmith add material to the existing stock? My degree is Professional Gunsmithing and I have no idea how I would do that.* A piece of wood could be shaped and attached, but it would be as ugly as a mud fence and structurally weak.
"Obtain a full length stock and fit it." If you want a carbine stock acquiring a rifle buttstock and fitting and cutting it to the desired length of pull is the only satisfactory way I can think of to do that. You would probably want a 'smith for this.

*Now, being so edjimucated I have a very specialized and sophisticated device that I fabricated in Gunsmithing School for just such an occasion. It's called a stock stretcher. I haven't patented it yet, but for the nominal sum of just $99.95 you can have one of these marvelous gunsmithing aids - Cash, check, or money order. Operators are standing by. Get yours now! ***Recover your initial investment on the first 2 jobs!!*** Brownell's will want at least $300 when you see it there. :D

I'm with Medic!. People who liked Josh Randall's gun will love this, but as a practical sidearm it doesn't make the cut no matter what you do to it. As a fun gun with no real purpose I get it.

Historical note: On the program Steve McQueen carried rifle rounds in the gun belt because it looked cool, but since the gun was a M92 it was in a pistol caliber.

Well, the base gun came in. It sure is a little thing. The barrel is 12". Shown next to a ruler and playing card to indicate:

rossilittle.jpg

In the current guise, it is pretty much unusuable. Form 1 SBRed, it will be handy, sort of like the very short "Trapper" lever-action carbines of yesteryear.

my opinion would be to do form1 suppressor build and either permanently attach it to the rifle via a monocore or the outer tube and have removable baffles, then you only have 1 tax stamp and avoid making it an sbr that you cant bring accross state lines easily....it would be a rifle at that point...you can go from a pistol to a rifle no issue no paper work

I took a better pic of the base of the gun at my home office today. (The one above is from the office/workshop that, frankly, likely falls into the "urban decay" zone, though it works for my purposes, even if the locals are curious.)

littlez.jpg

I ran the build plan passed mi Esposita and she is most assuredly hip. Summer build underway. :D

So despite the great amount of craziness here (familial, career, and climatic unpleasantness), I ran up to the home range, and dumped a half-box of ammunition through this one on said patch. My previous analysis was most assuredly born out:

• Totally, rock solid, reliable. No malfunction of any kind. Pleasant to shoot. And pretty damn smooth action.
  • Absolutely, and without reservation, totally worthless in the present form. F1/SBR, here we come.
:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads