JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Old coot here so just bringing up shooting boxes for fun. Bullseye shooters had fancy boxes to take their gear to the range. Packmayer built a great one that when you opened it on the shooting bench your spotting scope was built into the lid and came out to perfect setting. If you just took two or three guns out to practice it' the perfect set up.

Today I see most guys at the range use bags to carry everything but in its day the box was perfect. Here are some pictures of old and new boxes.

pachmayr shooting box - Bing images

Hyskore Competition Range Box - Walmart.com

Bullseye - 70% Off | BestDeals.Today range box?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=s&google_params[device]=t&google_params[creative]=231757012982&google_params[keyword]=bullseye range box&google_params[adposition]=1s5&google_params[adgroupid]=47254717423&google_params[campaignid]=979571511&bs=wWzSsXHwcDhq5fYSXZQvO2F8MBCyw4c5bCw6H67Iw6MeOiKhzh3rg4W0dw9Od9ui&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=kwd-303396197175&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9032979&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&dest=0&sys_id=0|346&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgKmg-q7a1wIVk19-Ch2sqgyPEAEYBSAAEgI-XPD_BwE

A rolling cart makes more sense to me, but then age and arthritis has a way of making me think lazy-smart.
A handtruck, golf push cart, baby stroller, or kids wagon can be the starting point if you want to build from scratch.

shooting box 1.jpg

shooting box 2.jpg

shooting box 3.jpg

Last Edited:
The old Pachmayr Pistol Case - 5 gun - was really great but by the time you put all Five Pistols on board and the Spotting Scope plus ammo in the back. Well, you needed two men and a small boy just to get it into the rig. But, they were great and the early ones were very well made. Lots of Pachmayr stuff went WAY downhill when Frank sold the business. :)

OP: I have my old original as illustrated in with the magnet for the extra magazines & the adj arm for the scope.

3ac40780900b6aa42cf9e0f4ba44a7b8.jpg

I posted it for sale a while back, odd no takers for such a deal. Maybe I'll put wheel on it like the cowboy carts above:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them because it's so simple. No tripod for the spotting scope, guns in upper part and ammo in lower part. Just open the lid and shoot. Mine has a strap too so this old man doesn't struggle with the weight.

Along the lines of a wagon; their are several places selling a Nylon wagon that will collapse for storage and transporting. Very handy for more than just a Range Cart. Large wheels make it easy to pull. We use one and can put 8 of the .50 caliber ammo cans in it at a time.

This topic couldn't have come at a better time in my life; I've been using one of the plastic totes, while it works, it's overkill for range opns when the covered tables are less than 20 feet from the parking area.

Edit; they make superb brass deflectors too.:D

Today I see most guys at the range use bags to carry everything but in its day the box was perfect. Here are some pictures of old and new boxes.
Depends on the shooting sport. Bullseye shooters need a spotting scope and they shoot from one
bench. Shooting IDPA, IPSC, Steel you move from stage to stage. You don't need a spotting scope.
A bag works better. Shooting Highpower Rifle we use carts to transport our gear. Moving
"Across the Course" 200-300-600 yards.
creedcart01.jpg

I usually use a bag for my shooting gear, but I am planning on building a box for my blackpowder stuff, since it seems slightly more authentic than an OD or multicam bag, more fun too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top