JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been wanting to go shooting, but I'm tired of paying to go shoot, and having to follow restrictive rules once I get to the range. I've been wanting to go shoot my Mossberg 500 shotgun in the woods or at a gravel pit, and have been wondering if that's legal. My Dad said that the Sheriff will show up and arrest me and seize the gun and ammo. Is that true? Will I be charged with shooting a legal firearm in the woods? And my Dad claims that the Sultan Basin has been closed down for years, and not to go shooting there. So I wonder, is my Dad trying to scare me into not going shooting, or would I risk running into the law?

Depends on where where you shoot and what you shoot.
I have gone shooting on DNR land (capitol forest) and have had no problems whatsoever.
If you are under 21 (and it sounds like you might be, I'm in the same boat) and your shooting pistols, you might want to bring someone older so you can claim they are just letting you shoot theirs.
Washington State RCW is very unclear on many things, legal shooting areas is one of them.
I've never personally been to Sultan Basin, but I have heard people lament that it was closed. You might wanna try doing a forum search and finding out.

Depends on where where you shoot and what you shoot.
I have gone shooting on DNR land (capitol forest) and have had no problems whatsoever.
If you are under 21 (and it sounds like you might be, I'm in the same boat) and your shooting pistols, you might want to bring someone older so you can claim they are just letting you shoot theirs.
Washington State RCW is very unclear on many things, legal shooting areas is one of them.
I've never personally been to Sultan Basin, but I have heard people lament that it was closed. You might wanna try doing a forum search and finding out.
I just did a search, and found conflicting reports. As far as I can tell, there is 1 road still left open to get to the Sultan basin. And I don't plan on shooting handguns in the woods just yet. I just want to shoot Shotguns and High-Power Rifles, maybe a few Assault Rifles. I'd like to have a "Shooting Party" maybe 2 or 3 other people to go shooting with me, ya know "Power in numbers". I'll be 21 in less than a month anyway.

...maybe a few Assault Rifles...

What the carp is an assault rifle? I don't think I own any 'quietly stoic alternative to deadly violence' rifles... From what I've read though you should be ok if you are in DNR land and not shooting on, across, or down a road.

Edit; I did just read that the basin is now closed off to shooting and you're taking your chances if you head out there.

Primarily directed at the OP, but you as well, don't just start shooting into the woods!
Always know your backstop, and don't pull up on a clearcut and start unloading your assault rifles.
I ride mountain bikes on maintained trails in Capitol Forest and idiots shoot from roads directly towards trails.
Now I'm sure they're not doing so on purpose, but I'd sure like to shoot back when it happens!
Not saying anyone here does that, just trying to keep common sense near your trigger finger.

As for not being 21, you can't own or carry concealed.
You most definitely can be in possession of a pistol and shoot it if you are over 18.
Now, not to say some backwoods LEO won't get that mixed up and screw with you anyway.

"I'd like to have a "Shooting Party" maybe 2 or 3 other people to go shooting with me, ya know "Power in numbers".

that scares the he!! out of me...

that many "people" that age getting together and shooting loose all Brain material.... ( ie lets shoot that tree down) (that was fun lets do it again)

I would call the local sheriff or police department of the area you are looking to shoot. People I have talked to have done this and come back with positive answers, but there always the chance of negative. The bonus of calling is you dont get charged a crime for asking. I have found many post, since yesterday, that are conflicted on the shooting areas being closed or reopened. The closures have been happening because certain people shooting in those areas leave there target and trash there which turned it to looking like a dump! so as a side note if you find a spot pick up all your trash and pack it out, it also makes you a responsible shooter. Also as reported earlier in the post trees do not make a good back stop for shooting so make sure there is a hill behind your targets as alot of recreation in the area.

"I'd like to have a "Shooting Party" maybe 2 or 3 other people to go shooting with me, ya know "Power in numbers".

that many "people" that age getting together and shooting loose all Brain material.... ( ie lets shoot that tree down) (that was fun lets do it again)
What you say is true in many cases, but let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

His being a member of this forum shows a high level of intelligence and a willingness to learn...

I don't like the "follow restrictive rules once I get to the range" part...Those rules are to keep you from shooting somebody or being shot yourself.
Join a club and learn what you need to know. If you do go out in the woods; for the love of pete, Pick up your hulls and brass and targets and do NOT leave a bunch of junk behind.
Wonder why so many areas are closed to shooting?

What the carp is an assault rifle?[/OUOTE]

"An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine typically firing ammunition with muzzle energies and sizes intermediate between those of handgun and more traditional high-powered rifle ammunition. Assault rifles are categorized between light machine guns, intended more for sustained automatic fire in a support role, and submachine guns, which fire a handgun cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.
In case you are still confused; Wikipedia has a comprehensive list of models under "Assault Rifle":s0155:

Primarily directed at the OP, but you as well, don't just start shooting into the woods!
Always know your backstop, and don't pull up on a clearcut and start unloading your assault rifles.
I ride mountain bikes on maintained trails in Capitol Forest and idiots shoot from roads directly towards trails.
Now I'm sure they're not doing so on purpose, but I'd sure like to shoot back when it happens!
Not saying anyone here does that, just trying to keep common sense near your trigger finger.

You most definitely can be in possession of a pistol and shoot it if you are over 18.
Now, not to say some backwoods LEO won't get that mixed up and screw with you anyway.

Actually you may indeed own and buy pistols when you are under 21 but over 18 in Washington State.
RCW 9.41.240: Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

As for the cops I really doubt they would have the gall to confiscate your weapons, but it's always good to check ahead if your not sure you can shoot in a designated area.

I just saw a sign that said to not destroy DNR property>trees are DNR property.
But as others have said,check with the local municipalities to make sure of any firearms restrictions (shotgun only hunting area?) before you take all you favorite guns to the range

Actually you may indeed own and buy pistols when you are under 21 but over 18 in Washington State.
RCW 9.41.240: Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

As for the cops I really doubt they would have the gall to confiscate your weapons, but it's always good to check ahead if your not sure you can shoot in a designated area.

Actually you may possess when you are on your property or at work but it's doesn't say anything about buying. Pretty sure you have to be 21 in WA to purchase a handgun

You can own in WA, you just can't buy pistols from FFLs until you are 21. You can purchase from a private party at 18. I researched this in depth before buying a few pistols when I was 20 last year!

maybe a few Assault Rifles. .

My Sporting rifle has never assaulted anyone (except my wallet).

Call it what it is a "Sporting rifle" , (" assault rifle" is a term used by news media and politicians to strike fear into weak minded people that will make them want to ban them )

My Sporting rifle has never assaulted anyone (except my wallet).

Call it what it is a "Sporting rifle" , (" assault rifle" is a term used by news media and politicians to strike fear into weak minded people that will make them want to ban them )
I just call it a "Assault Rifle" because that is what I have always called a AK-47/M16 type weapon. My M1A is not a "Sporting Rifle" it's a 12.5 LB "Battle Rifle/Sniper Rifle" I'm sorry if I ruffled some feathers, but I call my AK-47 an "Assault Rifle" for a reason.

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. I have gone shooting with other people, and everything goes just fine. Any Bull**** out of anyone and shooting is over. I'm not a meanie, but safe shooting is my thing, and the Ranges I go to are just too expensive for an informal shooting session. Am I going to pay $15 or $20 to go shooting for 1/2 hour? and find out that my gun doesn't work? He!! No! anyway if I even suspected that some of the members of my "Shooting party" were "Irresponsible", I'd call off any shooting of any kind. I really hate it when people jump to conclusions, and think I'm a "20-yr old crazy gun nut". I thought you people would be smarter than that.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top