JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't like the "follow restrictive rules once I get to the range" part...Those rules are to keep you from shooting somebody or being shot yourself.
Join a club and learn what you need to know. If you do go out in the woods; for the love of pete, Pick up your hulls and brass and targets and do NOT leave a bunch of junk behind.
Wonder why so many areas are closed to shooting?

And I'm just going to clear this one up, I DO CLEAN UP AFTER MYSELF! Geez! who do you think I am??? and I know those rules are there for a reason, but I sure hate it when the range master gives my dirty looks when I walk in with my M1A or SKS.

I am with you, ranges suck for the most part. So simply if I dont want to follow their rules (not the same as safety rules) I do my own thing. I hear all kinds of stories of only being able to load one round at a time. Or guns have to always be touching a bench or similar rules. That is not a very practical way of shooting especially if you want to work on defensive skills.

Next you mean is it legal to shoot in the woods not the wilderness. Wilderness has an actual defined rules and areas, Wilderness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you are looking for places out in the woods to shoot you need to go to the WA DNR site and look up open state areas or the USFS site for your area and look up rules there. For the most part unimproved state ground in safe areas are legal to shoot in. Since you dad is so sure it is illegal do what I do when someone is sure..... Ask them to show you the law that says that. They are usually not able to show you but are still sure they are right. For an LEO to ticket you or arrest you he HAS to have a law that is broken.

I am with you, ranges suck for the most part. So simply if I dont want to follow their rules (not the same as safety rules) I do my own thing. I hear all kinds of stories of only being able to load one round at a time. Or guns have to always be touching a bench or similar rules. That is not a very practical way of shooting especially if you want to work on defensive skills.

Next you mean is it legal to shoot in the woods not the wilderness. Wilderness has an actual defined rules and areas, Wilderness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you are looking for places out in the woods to shoot you need to go to the WA DNR site and look up open state areas or the USFS site for your area and look up rules there. For the most part unimproved state ground in safe areas are legal to shoot in. Since you dad is so sure it is illegal do what I do when someone is sure..... Ask them to show you the law that says that. They are usually not able to show you but are still sure they are right. For an LEO to ticket you or arrest you he HAS to have a law that is broken.

Thanks for at least understanding what I meant about the ranges. I follow all "Safety" Rules to a T, but the "Other" rules, I'm not so hot about.

And about the "Wilderness" thing, It's sorta my fault, I tend to word things wrong, so please bear with me on that. My Dad is paranoid, and thinks the law is out to get him just because he owns guns. I know what that laws are, and what I can legally do, but I will do some more checking on that.

Again, I'm sorry if a ruffled any feathers. I was just asking for some help on all of this.

Just letting you know there was a difference between wilderness and woods to better educate you.

I gave you two main places to look up where to shoot. Keep in mind that most rules are written in the " you cant do that" form not the "yes you can do that" form. Meaning if an are is not off limits to shooting then it would be legal.

My Sporting rifle has never assaulted anyone (except my wallet).

Call it what it is a "Sporting rifle" , (" assault rifle" is a term used by news media and politicians to strike fear into weak minded people that will make them want to ban them )
One could also say that "tactical" is a term used to quiet the nerves of the weak
minded people::winkkiss: come on man! you own an assault rifle! Be proud

You see, I went to Eastern Washington, and went shooting over there. My Dad and 2 friends went to the middle of a field on top of a large Plateau, and shot at giant rocks at ranges of 150, 300 and 400 yards. I shot nothing special, just a AK-47, and a Topper .45-70 Rifle, and a .22 Magnum. I'd have to say that was the most fun I had in a long time. But when I went to "Everett Sportsmans Club" and had to follow all their rules, and try to shoot with a dozen other people shooting at the same time. It just wasn't fun for me, I wanted to load my Rifle and just shoot at my targets! but I had to deal with "Kids" and they were poking around all my ammo and my expensive rifle. and the rangemaster didn't like my Rifle, he said "That's quite loud you know.". I am a very responsible shooter, and it's more fun when I can focus on the targets, just relax and have fun.

I hope that clears it up.

I just call it a "Assault Rifle" because that is what I have always called a AK-47/M16 type weapon. My M1A is not a "Sporting Rifle" it's a 12.5 LB "Battle Rifle/Sniper Rifle" I'm sorry if I ruffled some feathers, but I call my AK-47 an "Assault Rifle" for a reason.

why so serious ?

I have been shooting sporting rifles ar15s SKS Aks since before you were born and before They were termed assault rifles for the sake of th 89 and 94 "assault rifle bans where they got there name but I have no feathers to ruffle .I was just poking a little fun at the term "assault rifles" you can call your rifles what ever you want i call mine Betty and Wilma

but prior to the 89 ban they were just a sporting rifle. so call it what you want you wont ruffle my feathers

why so serious ?

I have been shooting sporting rifles ar15s SKS Aks since before you were born and before They were termed assault rifles for the sake of th 89 and 94 "assault rifle bans where they got there name but I have no feathers to ruffle .I was just poking a little fun at the term "assault rifles" you can call your rifles what ever you want i call mine Betty and Wilma

but prior to the 89 ban they were just a sporting rifle. so call it what you want you wont ruffle my feathers

Ok, I'm sorry, I'm just new here, and I don't know if people are just poking fun at me, or if they're attacking me. and that's what my Dad always called them. I'm just looking to meet new people, and I'm not the smartest person in the world, but alot smarter than some shooters...

yeah, but "Assault Weapon" is a false term. They use that to try and demonize anything not "politically correct". "Assault Rifle" is a real term. and they're trying to get the term "Assault Pistol" going. But that applies to WWI-Era pistols converted to Full-Automatic, not Pistol-Sized Sub-machine-guns. They still make "Assault Pistols" but they are much better than the WWI-Era ones.

why so serious ?

Yeah well you kinda sound ruffled
Just chill down a little pal

:s0084:

:peace:

For the OP and all the others: Please read RCW 9.41.060.8

" (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;"

Yes, an 18 to 21 year old can OC or CC a pistol without a permit while engaged in recreational acitivies, or going to and from such activities. Anyone that says otherwise has not read the WHOLE of RCW 9.41.

Where can you shoot? Any safe place (acording to F&W that means you must have an EARTHEN (not rock) backstop) on any DNR, BLM, NF or NRA (Basically any public lands that are not a Park, if it is open to hunting it is open to shooting), or any safe place on private property you own or have permission to be on. There may be some closed public lands, but they will be posted. Like in a campground, or directly adjacent to a camground, road etc. You cannot shoot accross or along a road..and you must pick up your trash, empty cartridges, targets etc..

Oh and don't shoot any trees at least in not in Oregon (don't know the WA laws) the Tree huggers and Lumber Jacks actually shacked up together on that one, Its a really big fine. I just mention that since while i was out hunting i saw a target on a tree and thought i'd better pass the word.

And please don't forget to clean up when your done.

Oh and don't shoot any trees at least in not in Oregon (don't know the WA laws) the Tree huggers and Lumber Jacks actually shacked up together on that one, Its a really big fine. I just mention that since while i was out hunting i saw a target on a tree and thought i'd better pass the word.

And please don't forget to clean up when your done.

It's my Dad who shoots at trees, I always shoot into a dirt hill/backstop. There once was a Time I was shooting with my Dad and he fired a steel core 7.62x39mm bullet at a rock at close range, I felt the bullet whiz past me after it bounced off of the angled rock. I learned that day, that Dirt is the safest thing to shoot into.

I went shooting at a range I call "AG", everything went fine, and I didn't see any "No Shooting" signs around, so my Mom and I went and tried out the Mossberg 500, and a Scoped SKS.

Be careful, there's a lot of trash, broken bottles, spent casings, etc, laying around, so watch where you step. I plan on going up there and bringing a 5-gallon bucket and cleaning up some of the broken glass, and shell casings.

I went shooting at a range I call "AG", everything went fine, and I didn't see any "No Shooting" signs around, so my Mom and I went and tried out the Mossberg 500, and a Scoped SKS.

Be careful, there's a lot of trash, broken bottles, spent casings, etc, laying around, so watch where you step. I plan on going up there and bringing a 5-gallon bucket and cleaning up some of the broken glass, and shell casings.

Good for you!! :s0155:

If you take out more trash than you bring in, you will be disarming the antis and taking their ammuntion to close (some) public lands to sport shooting.

When it comes to doing any recreational activity on public lands it is best to be prepared to take more out than you brought in. There are always those that do not clean up their own stuff...even their own property looks like that.

Happy to hear you had fun shooting with your mom. My wife has been my hunting/shooting partner for over 40 years, it's the best of both worlds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top