JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Shooting Chrony F-1 chronograph. My paperwork says I bought it in 2005. Yes, it was the kind of bargain chrono when I bought it; price was about $90 if I remember correctly. So I've been using this device for 16 years, likely have gotten my money's worth by now.

Over the years, I've had what you might call a few accidents. A couple of times I've shot one of the rods that holds the diffuser panels. Being made in Canada, the metal rods are metric sizes, the rod stock bins at Home Depot don't have the exact size so you have to improvise. The last time around, I decided to experiment with wooden dowel. Same issue, metric vs. inch, but a little sanding took the ends down to size. Or you could grind the holes in the plastic receiver holes they go into, I chose not to do the latter. I guess thinking I might actually get the correct replacement parts some day. More about that below.

My latest caper with the Chrony was I blew the end off of the cable. When you set one of these up, you don't want to set the unit up too high or you imperil it with destruction. There is this thing called parallax, that is, the difference between the centerline of the bore and the centerline of the sighting device. They aren't the same, and you might have a nice sight picture while at the same time the bore is much closer in flight over the chrono sensors. If you have a rifle with a scope with high mounts, you can encounter this issue easily. Or the open sights on an AR, for example.

Anyway, the other day when I set the Chrony up, for some reason for the first time, I looped the little cord end inside one of the dissuser rods, not outside as normal. Just a little quirk. I didn't think it was anywhere near being in danger from a fired shot. It was only about 3/4 of an inch away from the rod and the sensor panel. I had gotten mostly done with my chrono work, when my next shot blew the cord out of the way. Now this would've been a very close thing if a bullet did the damage. But because it was so off center, I'm thinking that muzzle blast ripped it off. After all, those hot gases are blowing right across the sensors behind the bullets. The face of my Chrony has little pitting marks on the label from being peppered by combustion debris.

Having ruined the cord, I decided that now was the time to look into proper repair parts. Nope, they aren't available from Shooting Chrony because the company is out of business. I'll have to make do with the home-made rods, be they metal or wood. By the way, wood works well enough, is cheap to buy, but the diffusers aren't as stable when supported by wood. I've had concussion blow them loose once.

The cord is a pretty easy replacement, as from the factory it was only 6P6C six wire telephone jack cord. You can buy a 25 foot string of it on ebay for about $6.

Before you say it, yes, I know you are supposed to shoot at the target, not the rods. Somehow or another, it happens. Maybe something to do with target replacement. My accidents with the rods aren't unique. Some people manage to fire a bullet into the Chrony base unit itself. Which I have yet to do.

One more reason (or 4 or five if I counted right) I value my workhorse Oehler 33. I had borrowed a friend's when he was teaching school in Alaska (in trade for bench testing some guns for him), and then bought one for myself. Screens only are downrange.

HOWEVER: I will resist making too much fun of anyone whittling down their chronographs with gunfire, as my friend's 33 came to me with a bullet groove in the top of the electric eye housing (because as "experts", we knew the closer the bullet path to the eyes, the more consistent the readings).

More recently, I finished up a testing session, then (too quickly) went into "fun" mode, placing a water jug aside my target board. Touched off the rifle and witnessed my "START" screen crumple like a ruptured beetle.

I had neglected to move the screen away from the new bullet path. Fortunately, the impact was only on one of the "wings" of the screen, quickly replaced through Oehler (who, as another point of preference probably is not going away anytime soon...I hope).

I have a Shooting Chrony. Years ago my friend blasted away one of the rods and I found a suitable replacement. Other than that it's ok to work with. It could be more intuitive to operate, that's for sure. I always keep the instructions handy.
Going to use it this afternoon.

It could be more intuitive to operate, that's for sure. I always keep the instructions handy.
Mine is just the basic F-1, no upgrades. There isn't much to intuit on it. I've always thought the instructions were just okay, better than Chinese or other third world, English as a distant second language. The layout, paper stock, type, is all rather high school print shop quality. My 9v battery ran down not too long ago, the read-out started showing an error code. I hadn't memorized the codes but I figured it was a battery because I hadn't change it is quite a long time.

"Those that have, and those that will..."

189574-818c4b119468a0ab5749053c0dd342b1.jpg 189576-6874387983359e2071ca69ad9ef47600.jpg

Just a sign of the times. With the price of ammo these days Shooting Chrony's just became less and less interesting.

Now if they had packed them with Tannerite...:s0038: :s0062:

I too like my Oehler model 33. My first one was a model 13? Moved up to the 33 in the early 80's. I've had to replace the Skyscreen wings because of arrant shots, but that's no problem because venetian blinds work just fine for replacements. I do wish I would have upgraded it to the Skyscreen 3 system and printer when I had the chance.

I too like my Oehler model 33. My first one was a model 13? Moved up to the 33 in the early 80's. I've had to replace the Skyscreen wings because of arrant shots, but that's no problem because venetian blinds work just fine for replacements. I do wish I would have upgraded it to the Skyscreen 3 system and printer when I had the chance.
???? Reason you can't upgrade now to Skyscreen 3?

Still have the Beta Master that I bought a decade ago. Keep it for pistol rounds.
I always thought the sky screen was hokey. Made one out of white translucent plexiglass. Upside, it would keep the whole unit dry in the rain.
Over the course of time, I adapted multiple setup techniques so it wouldn't " blow apart" when I was shooting non-brake magnum rounds over it. Guys at the range would laugh when I would take a shot and it would disassemble itself. I think that they thought I had hit it. Nope, reassemble during a cold range, continue with the string.
Because I received so many error codes shooting rifle during gray sky winters, and this wreaks havoc on data for a ladder test, I got pissed and bought a Magnetospeed.

Friend of mine lent me his Lab Radar Doppler Chronograph. Pretty spendy at $600 but I was impressed.

If you somehow manage to hit it with a bullet, you probably shouldn't own firearms.

[h3][/h3]

Still have the Beta Master that I bought a decade ago. Keep it for pistol rounds.
I always thought the sky screen was hokey. Made one out of white translucent plexiglass. Upside, it would keep the whole unit dry in the rain.
Over the course of time, I adapted multiple setup techniques so it wouldn't " blow apart" when I was shooting non-brake magnum rounds over it. Guys at the range would laugh when I would take a shot and it would disassemble itself. I think that they thought I had hit it. Nope, reassemble during a cold range, continue with the string.
Because I received so many error codes shooting rifle during gray sky winters, and this wreaks havoc on data for a ladder test, I got pissed and bought a Magnetospeed.
Mine's the Beta version.
I wondered if I was the only one getting so many error codes. Guess not. It is one of the reasons I assumed this wasn't a "high end" instrument. But it's still a great tool to have.

I used my husband's chronograph twice many years ago. I do not remember the brand name now.

It is a shame that this company went out of business.

Cate

My first was a Beta, worked fine for awhile, but then the limitations of string length, number of strings, and both fixed, not to mention memory, started getting in my way so I upgraded to a CED Millenium II. GREAT unit, probably the best optical chrony I ever owned, but I sold it when I got out of shooting for awhile. Got back into it and wanted/needed something again so got a Caldwell. It was okay, but I was getting fed up with the limitations of the optical sensor units, which meant either Magnetospeed or Labradar. Since I do as much testing of handguns as rifles, I ended up going with the Labradar. As stated, spendy, but well worth it for the ease of setup and insurance against the "those that have, and those that will" situation. Not so sure I agree with the latter, I put thousands of rounds over a chrony over the years and never shot one or any part of one. But the Labradar sure makes simultaneous testing of velocity and groups a no brainer, and with a minimum of additional setup. Can you tell I'm a fan :D? Later.

Dave

The cord is a pretty easy replacement, as from the factory it was only 6P6C six wire telephone jack cord. You can buy a 25 foot string of it on ebay for about $6.
The new cord arrived today. It is NOT a direct replacement. It activates the screen on the read-out, but it's error messages and a random number. I will have to figure out why a six wire cord with the same connections won't work from one application to another.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads