JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My first thoughts are with the families and loved ones of the victims.

My anger is that this tragedy is being pushed by the press to serve a political agenda. Certainly this story has merit, but why the crickets on weekend shooting deaths in the gun free zones in Chicago, Detroit, DC, LA, etc ?

What is the body count in Chicago for the month of April? Asking for a friend.
B7428443-5657-4377-B74A-9037E0792CF7.png

What is the body count in Chicago for the month of April? Asking for a friend.
Don't know. Never makes the news. But the gun crimes committed there add so much for the anti-gunner stats, why bother with actual facts? Educated guess probably says every weekend in Chitown is a mass casualty event.

Ok, thanks, I haven't kept up with the details, but I was wondering if he "lost the gun fight" or never had a chance because he never retrieved it before being killed.

From what I have experienced. Many gun owners are not skilled enough to win a gun fight against anyone with rudimentary skill in a force on force conflict without the element of surprise. Standing at a flat range and casually putting a few on a piece of paper isn't great practice for winning a gun fight, and many gun owners get to the range barely more than once a year, if that. Not to mention I'd surmise that many people without stress inoculation training, would be overwhelmed by the adrenal dump and would forget/overlook many basic skills, and that might have been all they ever had on their best day.
This is why everyone thinks it's necessary to don ballistic helmets and a plate carrier for a jaunt out popping squirrels with their battle rifle with overwatch provided by their buddies.

The Country is sick, drunk on it's own excess like Nero's Rome.

Never imagined mass riots and destruction, skyrocketing suicide and opiate addiction, or mass murders when I was a kid. And I'm not that old.

I'm far from a prude, but there is way too much tolerance for libertine and immoral behavior. No respect for form or structure, no regard for the past. Nothing to unite generations. And no discipline. Anyone who tries to impose standards is automatically a "nazi".

This is why everyone thinks it's necessary to don ballistic helmets and a plate carrier for a jaunt out popping squirrels with their battle rifle with overwatch provided by their buddies.

I wouldn't know, but getting in full battle rattle really has nothing to do with responding to a threat at work, since most people are not in full battle rattle at work.

You can "have fun" putting all that on though regardless, but that practice is for a different scenario.

I wouldn't know, but getting in full battle rattle really has nothing to do with responding to a threat at work, since most people are not in full battle rattle at work.

You can "have fun" putting all that on though regardless, but that practice is for a different scenario.
I'd venture the average civilian shooter is more skilled than the average "professional".
I take issue with your defeatist attitude.

I'd venture the average civilian shooter is more skilled than the average "professional".
I take issue with your defeatist attitude.

I think you are misinterpreting my point. And it isn't defeatist at all. I also believe you are way off your rocker if you start talking "averages."

First we would have to agree upon what the definition of "civilian shooter" vs. "professional" even means. Then once we agree on those definitions. Just look at the numbers of people and consider the basic proficiency level of that average. Remember - all of the ladies who carry in their purse and can barely hit the broad side of a barn at close distance because they haven't shot it more than a couple times since they bought it would be part of that civilian average.

I know that people with extreme passion for shooting in the civilian world outclass the average "professional," sometimes by a very wide margin, and I am using that term to mean "people who carry as required for their work." But if you open that up to the "average civilian shooter" - no, God no, not by a long shot. The average professional still has to qual every year, the average civilian shooter doesn't.

Edit: I think Americans who perceive themself to be capable should do what they can, when they can, to stop evil people from doing evil things, and I'm not saying civilians can't be successful, we know they can, they do every year, but if an assailant has basic skills and the civilian responder has basic skills, the assailant is at a major advantage because they came armed as they saw fit with intent and picked the time, location, whereas the civilian is responding already way behind the curve. Where we see a lot of civilians prevail in responding is when the skill level of the assailant is rudimentary at best. Losers who (thankfully) never developed more than basic skill before they enacted their evil.

Last Edited:
(...)

Or a year of pressure is finally making the crazies snap. Who knows anymore.

When my wife and I first moved up here to PDX, oh maybe 5 years ago or so, I took my first ever 100% remote job. We moved here sight-unseen for her schooling and my company was out of New York. So, I knew no-one here, my wife was gone from home most of the day, I was in a city where the new factor wore off pretty quick, and I worked from home out of a 500sq ft studio apartment. Oh, and I do a lot of code writing...so I talk to other people in the business maybe ~3 hours a day or less.

That first year was the toughest year I think I've ever had, mentally. You betcha I got depressed, started drinking too much, became a bit self-destructive. But, then I learned some better coping skills, leveled up my resilience, and got to a better place. So, when covid lockdowns came to pass...well, I wasn't mentally affected in the slightest - I'd already built up some metaphorical armor.

But, I think of all of the people out there who, like I was, had never been truly alone before. Possibly stuck inside of tiny, cramped spaces in cities with naught but bad habits getting worse. You betcha people snapped.

The data is already in: domestic violence is up, child abuse is up. The mental health and stability of the nation was on a downward trajectory before covid. So, yea, people have snapped. We might consider that things could be worse than they are - as someone above pointed out, there are many resources available today that depression era folks could have only dreamed of as they lost their jobs and homes.

Unfortunately, instead of using these events to discuss mental health and to push policy that de-stigmatizes getting aid for mental health issues...we're once again talking about weapons and, specifically, banning them one at a time in the hopes that the crazy stops.

This is why I carry a long gun in my rigs, hope I never need it, but it would be stupid not to! I even have my "Cali Compliant" carry rifle and pistol when I'm visiting my brother down there! Never know when evil will show up, and you have a much better chance if you can get to that rifle! Not that it would have helped in this situation, but..............

A lot of folks have said carrying a "Truck Gun" is a bad idea, especially in urban areas, but I say they are wrong, and as evidenced in a few of these mass shootings of late, a long gun has been used to try and stop the shooter, or at least the attempt was made!

I think you are misinterpreting my point. And it isn't defeatist at all. I also believe you are way off your rocker if you start talking "averages."

First we would have to agree upon what the definition of "civilian shooter" vs. "professional" even means. Then once we agree on those definitions. Just look at the numbers of people and consider the basic proficiency level of that average. Remember - all of the ladies who carry in their purse and can barely hit the broad side of a barn at close distance because they haven't shot it more than a couple times since they bought it would be part of that civilian average.

I know that people with extreme passion for shooting in the civilian world outclass the average "professional," sometimes by a very wide margin, and I am using that term to mean "people who carry as required for their work." But if you open that up to the "average civilian shooter" - no, God no, not by a long shot. The average professional still has to qual every year, the average civilian shooter doesn't.

Edit: I think Americans who perceive themself to be capable should do what they can, when they can, to stop evil people from doing evil things, and I'm not saying civilians can't be successful, we know they can, they do every year, but if an assailant has basic skills and the civilian responder has basic skills, the assailant is at a major advantage because they came armed as they saw fit with intent and picked the time, location, whereas the civilian is responding already way behind the curve. Where we see a lot of civilians prevail in responding is when the skill level of the assailant is rudimentary at best. Losers who (thankfully) never developed more than basic skill before they enacted their evil.
Yea, I'm not buying it. Most people go into police work etc. for a paycheck and have little interest in shooting throughout their careers.

Still trying to figure out the best hours to do my necessary shopping. Early mornings are said to be best but I ain't the morning type (only during hunting season :D ), so I go midday, about noon to 3 pm where I seem to see less people in food stores. In and out. I won't try to be a hero by going in, only out.

I don't know about the competency level of civilians vs professionals, but I do know that I hope to never be faced with the opportunity to intervene in a horrible situation like that. I'd do what I could, but frankly I don't think I'm up to the task.

I consider myself to be a pretty decent shot with rifle and handgun, at the range shooting targets that don't move or shoot back, but I know full well that that doesn't translate well into many real world situations.

Many years ago I went hunting with a friend. I was likely a much better shot than he, as far as making nice little groups of holes in paper at a known distance, but when a game animal presented itself, he had it on the ground before I even had a chance to get it in my sights.

I would think that combat veterans, experienced hunters, and those with some formal training would fare far better than someone like myself.

Yea, I'm not buying it. Most people go into police work etc. for a paycheck and have little interest in shooting throughout their careers.
A friend of a family member was a local cop. In a casual off-duty conversation with this cop, she could not tell me what brand of firearm she carried on duty, nor the caliber. I know it is anecdotal, but it sure left me unimpressed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top