JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am getting a 357 next weekend, unless something drastic happens.

But part of the reason for my arsenal is to step up between calibers to ease new shooters into it.

I was reading online and it said that because .38 spl and .357 are the same diameter, you could shoot .38 out of a .357 but not the reverse.

Has anyone actually done that? I know you can't do it 357 out of a 38 due to higher pressure and longer cartrige and all that. But I was always told that you never shoot anything under than what the gun says.

Oddly I trust you randos on the internet more than other randos on the internet.

Bonus question: do you think that a good step up plan to fill in the gab between 22LR and 45LC?

Like 22, 38, 357, 45?

yes. 38 works in a 357 but NOT vise versa. be sure to clean your cylinder after because you will get a little carbon build up from the 38s being shorter thus making it difficult to load 357 in it.

Yep. It's fine. If you reload, you'll get 357 dies for 38spc.

I think once they get past the 22lr, 3ispc or bunny fart 357 is fine. Once again, if you reload, you can load down the 357 if you don't have spc brass.

357 shouldn't chamber in 38spc.

Yes you absolutely can shoot .38 special in a .357 magnum. Most guys will target practice with .38 and save their .357 for carry and defense.

And yes you are correct......you cannot shoot .357 in a .38 special

Has anyone actually done that?
This is the one that tends to be the exception. 10mm/40, 9mm/380, etc possible but not advised. 38 from a 357 is very commonly done

There's another thread addressing "felt" recoil. Different shooters feel the same round differently. A possible path is 22>38>9>45 Just depends on the gun, the load, and the shooter.

So I am getting a 357 next weekend, unless something drastic happens.

But part of the reason for my arsenal is to step up between calibers to ease new shooters into it.

I was reading online and it said that because .38 spl and .357 are the same diameter, you could shoot .38 out of a .357 but not the reverse.

Has anyone actually done that? I know you can't do it 357 out of a 38 due to higher pressure and longer cartrige and all that. But I was always told that you never shoot anything under than what the gun says.

Oddly I trust you randos on the internet more than other randos on the internet.

Bonus question: do you think that a good step up plan to fill in the gab between 22LR and 45LC?

Like 22, 38, 357, 45?

My girl's guns were .357 Magnum for a long time. I reload the calibers. You can shoot .38 Special out of the gun but do NOT overdo it (we are talking 10,000 to 15,000 +rds) because it can score the cylinder and make .357 extraction more difficult. In normal use this is not an issue

Yep...save the 357...practice with 38

Same for the 44 mag.....& 44 special

Although the price has been in full retard for so long theres not a bunch of savings like there once was.

To just +1 what everyone else said, yes, you can. It's perfectly safe to shoot .38 special from a .357 magnum. Sidenote: I only hoot .357 from my .357 because I handload and don't care to sort brass. I can always load light but I wouldn't even think twice about firing .38 special through it if that's what was on hand for the day

yes. 38 works in a 357 but NOT vise versa. be sure to clean your cylinder after because you will get a little carbon build up from the 38s being shorter thus making it difficult to load 357 in it.
I like to run a cylinder full of Magnums after 3 0r 4 cylinders full of 38 specials. Burns out the carbon build up from shooting
the shorter 38s.;)

My dad ran .357s (a 6' Python and classic S&W that I cannot remember the exact model of).

Reloaded .38 for both, which is all we shot for years. We had .357 on hand and ran it on occasion, but reloading was cheaper, like my Dad.

My girl's guns were .357 Magnum for a long time. I reload the calibers. You can shoot .38 Special out of the gun but do NOT overdo it (we are talking 10,000 to 15,000 +rds) because it can score the cylinder and make .357 extraction more difficult. In normal use this is not an issue

Yep. It's fine. If you reload, you'll get 357 dies for 38spc.

I think once they get past the 22lr, 3ispc or bunny fart 357 is fine. Once again, if you reload, you can load down the 357 if you don't have spc brass.

357 shouldn't chamber in 38spc.

I don't reload, but my dad does. You all should go buy his ammo.

This is the one that tends to be the exception. 10mm/40, 9mm/380, etc possible but not advised. 38 from a 357 is very commonly done

There's another thread addressing "felt" recoil. Different shooters feel the same round differently. A possible path is 22>38>9>45 Just depends on the gun, the load, and the shooter.
That's why I was asking. When I got my Bersa in 380, i went to get ammo and the gun store employee gave me 9mm browning. Another shooter in the store, even more annoying then me, then started in about how you should never ever shoot 9mm out of a 380 and how clearly the employee didn't know anything.

After he went about his business, the LGS guy explained to me that 9mm browning is just another name for .380. So the angsty guy wasn't wrong, but there is a world of difference between 9mm browning and 9mm luger/parabellum?

Also the reason for the 22>>38>>357>>45 is because that's the revolvers. The Semi-Auto ramp up is currently .25>>.380>>.45ACP. So I can show them a range of both calibers and styles. I had a .32 revolver and a 9mm hi-point, but I sold them both last time I moved.

Thanks all for your clarification.

I don't reload, but my dad does. You all should go buy his ammo.

That's why I was asking. When I got my Bersa in 380, i went to get ammo and the gun store employee gave me 9mm browning. Another shooter in the store, even more annoying then me, then started in about how you should never ever shoot 9mm out of a 380 and how clearly the employee didn't know anything.

After he went about his business, the LGS guy explained to me that 9mm browning is just another name for .380. So the angsty guy wasn't wrong, but there is a world of difference between 9mm browning and 9mm luger/parabellum?

Also the reason for the 22>>38>>357>>45 is because that's the revolvers. The Semi-Auto ramp up is currently .25>>.380>>.45ACP. So I can show them a range of both calibers and styles. I had a .32 revolver and a 9mm hi-point, but I sold them both last time I moved.

Thanks all for your clarification.

.380 is NOT EVEN CLOSE to 9MM Parabellum. Thankfully it will not chamber in .380 and would blow a .380 sky high if it could chamber

My snubby is stamped 357 Mag but shooting that is too uncomfortable in its designated chamber, so I shoot 38 Spl.

No one asked the important question. What 357 are you getting?

My son has a 357 but carries it with 38+P

I try to shoot 357 in my 357 for the reason v0lcom13sn0w stated, but I have shot 38 a little. I have seven 357's, four 38's only one 357 is a snubby and even 38 snubbies have a lot of recoil. +P more and 357 very stout. Shooting 38's out of a 357 can be nicer as a lot of 357's are heavier built, a couple ounces sometimes.

Just for bubblegums and giggles, load the cylinder with two .357 loads and the rest in .38 Special and hand it off to your shooting buddy. Fun to watch the expression on their face when they unexpectedly fire the .357

I typically shoot 38 special from my 357 magazine since the rounds are a bit cheaper. Just be sure you clean the carbon from the cylinders since it tends to build up over time. I have two speed loaders and I load Gold Dot 135gr +P 38 special rounds since they are easier to control.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads