JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shooting the 357 full power jacketed loads reduces the build up of lead from 38 lead wadcutters. It does work don't know how.
I have been doing this since I bought my first 357 handgun in 1978.
Factory lead wadcutters usually don't lead. They're going about 600fps out of a 4".

So I am getting a 357 next weekend, unless something drastic happens.

But part of the reason for my arsenal is to step up between calibers to ease new shooters into it.

I was reading online and it said that because .38 spl and .357 are the same diameter, you could shoot .38 out of a .357 but not the reverse.

Has anyone actually done that? I know you can't do it 357 out of a 38 due to higher pressure and longer cartrige and all that. But I was always told that you never shoot anything under than what the gun says.

Oddly I trust you randos on the internet more than other randos on the internet.

Bonus question: do you think that a good step up plan to fill in the gab between 22LR and 45LC?

Like 22, 38, 357, 45?
Wifes purse gun is a 357 'Belly Gun' she practices with 38spl and finishes the session with 357 the hollow points she carries in it to remember...

And for the extra points: 38 spl maybe a Tweener, the 357 not so much..

Yes yes, all the time. I just introduced a new shooter too. Let him shoot my 38 bunnyfarts out of the 357... then regular 38 and quickly progressed to full powerhouse 357. Its not a problem at all. If you have a heavy revolver like a 6" barrel, there is practically no recoil shooting the 38s

I've shot thousands of 38's thru .357 magnums, zero issues other than lead build up that can be removed with a simple Hoppe's lead removal tool. I fail to see the reasoning behind tricking people into shooting full power loads. I've watched an endless series of idiots hand their wives or girlfriends a .44 magnum with a hot 240gr load and scare the crap out of her, making another mildly disinterested non-shooter in just a few short minutes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top