JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I shipped a pistol out of state with FFL here and FFL in other state before. But with a rifle do I need to use FFL in Oregon to ship to FFL in another state? Thinking I don't but unsure anybody know for sure? Best shipper? Anything else I should know?
Thanks Scott

No need to go to a hub. I have shipped rifles from my local shipping store they just want to see a copy of the FFL it is going to. Just shipped one to Texas in November.

Just saying what they say their rules.

UPS: Shipping Firearms or Ammunition

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call Pickup®, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.

I can't find the one for Fedex right now but I know they use to have a very similar rule.

Obviously some locations my vary, but just showing what the company says...........

Good point jbett98. I just do this anyhow so don't think about it. The receiving FFL does need to show where the firearm came from and that is the easiest way.

They probably consider the store I go to a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account. Have shipped about 5 rifles out of there in the past 6 years with no issue.

Yes a DL is a must forgot that one....

Salps, I shipped a rifle out of a UPS store but I had a preprinted shipping label and dropped it off with out talking to them. When I tried to ship a rifle back to Kimber from the UPS store, all went well until I told them it was a rifle ( I wanted to insure it for $1300) and they refused. I took it to the "hub" on Swan Island and it was no problem with them knowing it was a rifle and insuring it for the stated value.
As far as shipping it to an FFL, no problem. You just need their info (signed copy of license) and it's all good. It would probably be a good idea to take that letter with you to UPS, just in case.
Call me if you have any other ???s. BP

Well, just to clarify... Hand guns require shipment From an FFL To an FFL, if using USPS

Correct, but that is NOT what I said. I was talking about the requirement of sending firearms, not what shipping methods must be used.

As with ANY shipper you have to follow the correct rules for that "company". I also did not state handguns have to go overnight from UPS/Fedex, because again that was not part of what I was discussing. The OP asked a direct question about FFL's and a gave a direct answer to that question.

Never send a "gun". Always send a "sporting goods" item.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

I absolutely hate this law. I got in heated argument with a man at the UPS shipping distribution center after I muttered the words " there is a gun in here ". The guy wigged on me, ended up walking out and coming back the next day.

Argument about what? Why not call the supervisor or corporate? Seem like "the guy" needs a little re-eudcation.

I don't ship a lot. Our UPS hub is open limited hrs so about the only time I go there is to ship a gun. Guy behind the counter seems to always assume I am shipping guns when he sees me :cool:

I've shipped long guns via UPS to a gunsmith in another state several times, and to a manufacturer's repair facility once. I have shipped from a UPS store using my own UPS account and a pre-printed, pre-paid label. They don't even ask what's in it. For high dollar items and long guns not shipped on a personal account UPS wants you to go through a service center because the UPS Store may be a non-UPS owned business. UPS doesn't want to take responsibility for a big ticket item or a firearm when some other company handles it along the way.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top