Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shipping a rifle to an FFL

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PinkhamR, Nov 14, 2010.

1. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

I am negotiating a trade with a 20 year old member who wants to ship an SKS to my FFL (for me) ..... As I understand it anyone can ship a rifle to an FFL via USPS or UPS. Please advise ..... thanx!

2. Glock32

Glock32 Marion county, or Active Member

if he can legally own the weapon he is legal to ship it. is my understanding. only complication would be if he was trading for a HG and trying to get it through a FFL. Just my thoughts.

3. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

You can ship to a FFL in any state, including CA. Some FFL's prefer not to receive shipments from individuals, but, there are no legal restrictions.

4. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I chatted with your seller yesterday and advised him to go to the UPS hub in PDX on Swan Island. Should be easy, they are used to shipping rifles.

He will need to put "rifle" in the desription, and I told him to take the copy of the FFL it is going to with him to UPS as proof in case they question it.
    I've never been asked for it though.

They will want to know it is going to an FFL. They will ask. Never been asked for proof though.

5. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Exactly.
    CA requires CA DOJ approval BEFORE shipping though since it is a foreign country.:laugh::laugh:

6. PinkhamR

Thanx all, I also suggested he just pack it up and send is USPS Parcel Post as it seems cheaper. Copy of FFL in the box with a copy of the sellers phot ID, and a spare copy of the FFL handy in case they ask ...

7. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

some ffl's WILL NOT receive from individuals (type of union job security thing i guess)

8. PinkhamR

I'm lucky, mine will ....

9. wired

wired Yakima Well-Known Member

I do the same thing I used to do when I was an FFL. I ask the dealer to send me a redacted copy of his license. Fax or email is fine for my records. Then I send him the gun with a copy of my drivers license and an invoice. If the dealer refuses to send a copy of his FFL as has happened twice then I advise the buyer to find a different dealer or take a refund. Easy as that.

10. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

Had a rifle sent to me from New York State last month from a Non FFL.
    Sent them a copy of my FFL via e-mail and they sent the rifle UPS with a copy of their drivers license and a reciept with pertinate info in the box.
    Shipping was $22.50.

11. Celtic Armory

Celtic Armory Port Orchard, WA Member

I accept shipments from individuals so long as they include a photo copy of their valid state picture ID or an invalid state picture ID with a valid copy of military orders and some proof of a current address. Part of the requirements for bound books is logging name and address of the person you received the firearm from.

USPS will take long guns only from individuals, UPS and FedEx will take them all. Hand guns need to go overnight.

12. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

+1

13. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

When I shipped my Rem. #1 Rolling Block to a smith in WA the UPS store here in OR would not take it until I told them that i was shipping it on my own UPS account. I don't know what their issue was, but that's the deal.