JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm selling my '92 miata, paid $2000 for it, but I've upgraded it with:

oil changes, bunch of them, $1000 worth of mobil 1

2 sets of new tires, worn out now , but worth over $800!!

Rebuilt the motor from the crankshaft out, valued at $3000

Brakes and rotors, $200

I want $7000 for her!!

Does that make sense? About as much as the $1800 glock 17 I saw over on Waguns. Looks like the poor sap just went and bought every overpriced aftermarket piece of crap he could find and slapped it on.

Whom ever told these retards that they could recoup any money spent on questionable aftermarket parts lied to them. Maybe they will find a like minded sucker, human stupidity knows no limits.

With the car, it sounds like they're trying to recoup general operating expenses. Someone doesn't understand how these things work. I'm surprised they didn't try include the cost of the fuel the car used.

Yeah pretty much. With that list of changes it sounds like a racerboy owned Miata. I'd rather have a stock un-molested one than trust that it was properly molested by the previous owner.

Unfortunately you can't recoup 1cent of aftermarket mods. It sucks because I've dumped thousands into a car too. You have to find that rare gem that knows what was done and would have done the same thing to the car and can come out bucks-ahead. Very limited market.

Only time I ever consider paying for a used, custom firearm is if the work has been done by a famous gunsmith, or at least one with a very good reputation.

Specifically, people think they can get repair costs out of their selling price.... "Blue book is for $5000 in good condition, but I just put $2500 into rebuilding the motor, so it's worth at least $7000."

No... no it's not... it's worth $5,000. If you hadn't rebuilt the motor, it would only be worth scrap weight.

The market will teach these guys what they don't already know, though... nobody is going to buy a $5000 car for $7000.

I'm selling my '92 miata, paid $2000 for it, but I've upgraded it with:

oil changes, bunch of them, $1000 worth of mobil 1

2 sets of new tires, worn out now , but worth over $800!!

Rebuilt the motor from the crankshaft out, valued at $3000

Brakes and rotors, $200

I want $7000 for her!!

Does that make sense? About as much as the $1800 glock 17 I saw over on Waguns. Looks like the poor sap just went and bought every overpriced aftermarket piece of crap he could find and slapped it on.

Whom ever told these retards that they could recoup any money spent on questionable aftermarket parts lied to them. Maybe they will find a like minded sucker, human stupidity knows no limits.

hm if tha tis how you value a car then my 91 trooper should be worth $10,000 :D

I often wonder if given enough time, someone eventually bites for these kinds of things. SKS's seem to be the finest examples. Take a $300 rifle, add another $300 of sub-par aftermarket parts, throw in a little bit for labor and some folks doing the selling seem to convinced it's a $650 dollar gun. I don't like sporterizing old military guns in general, but I suppose it's your property and you can do what you want with it... just realize most people don't share your tastes and when those people look to buy, you'd be lucky to get back the original cost of the rifle before any modifications.

I've found that it often doesn't even matter if a gun was modified into a genuinely more desirable configuration, what it's worth to buyers will generally still not exceed the original price. For example, suppose you did a Saiga conversion, unless you did a truly superb job of it, you'll find most people will not pay more than what a factory Saiga costs.

With the car, it sounds like they're trying to recoup general operating expenses. Someone doesn't understand how these things work. I'm surprised they didn't try include the cost of the fuel the car used.

Im surprised they didn't try to get all the money paid for gas.... Sheesh...

Considering the thought process of the individual of the person selling and the engine rebuild, etc. With all of the time invested in their probably sub par work the amount of time on the road might be minimal and the fuel used probably is included.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews