JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Either way, I'm no fan of the government limiting things like this - we have far too much government restriction on our lives as it is. Government is supposed to serve at our pleasure, and certainly not to spend their time finding ways to limit us.

Nothing stays the same! I agree I believe we should have limited Government. But we have to be a Nation of Laws. Hopefully good ones.
Look at the traffic laws today! They are not the same as they were when I was a young man using the highways.A lot more restrictive,but when I started driving some of the main roads were still graveled, and the traffic was nothing like it is today. One highway I remember riding my bike on was two lane and I doubt a hundred cars traveled it in a long day.Today, it has four lanes and it has prob. 100 cars per min. in a one mile stretch traveling it. The traffic laws have changed many times over the years because of the explosion of vehicles traveling today.Laws change to accommodate the number of people living in a given area. Yea! It sucks for some,but it can be necessary for the whole.

Nothing stays the same! I agree I believe we should have limited Government. But we have to be a Nation of Laws. Hopefully good ones.
Look at the traffic laws today! They are not the same as they were when I was a young man using the highways.A lot more restrictive,but when I started driving some of the main roads were still graveled, and the traffic was nothing like it is today. One highway I remember riding my bike on was two lane and I doubt a hundred cars traveled it in a long day.Today, it has four lanes and it has prob. 100 cars per min. in a one mile stretch traveling it. The traffic laws have changed many times over the years because of the explosion of vehicles traveling today.Laws change to accommodate the number of people living in a given area. Yea! It sucks for some,but it can be necessary for the whole.

I understand the need for laws. But I take exception to the idea that every time someone has a problem with something, it requires a new law, and one that affects everyone, not just those that cause the actual problems. There are other solutions, such as the one I mentioned, that may require some restrictions but isn't an all-out ban. That all-out ban crap is pretty worn out and I'm quite tired of the whole idea of it. There are better ways to solve problems than creating a bigger, more bloated government, one that can't even enforce the laws they already have on the books.

Find better solutions and quit making laws. That's all I'm asking. Making laws is the lazy way out and that seems to be the only way our government knows how to work. Finding real solutions takes hard work and commitment, something they seem to be averse to.

I understand the need for laws. But I take exception to the idea that every time someone has a problem with something, it requires a new law, and one that affects everyone, not just those that cause the actual problems. There are other solutions, such as the one I mentioned, that may require some restrictions but isn't an all-out ban. That all-out ban crap is pretty worn out and I'm quite tired of the whole idea of it. There are better ways to solve problems than creating a bigger, more bloated government, one that can't even enforce the laws they already have on the books.

Find better solutions and quit making laws. That's all I'm asking. Making laws is the lazy way out and that seems to be the only way our government knows how to work. Finding real solutions takes hard work and commitment, something they seem to be averse to.

They could have at least let the citizens of Vancouver vote on it.

They could have at least let the citizens of Vancouver vote on it.

That absolutely should have happened. I would be curious to know how many actually support this change. Considering how many folks like to light fireworks, I suspect they didn't bring it to the people because they knew it would have been shot down. Will be interesting to see if they get blowback from this ban this year - including from all the charitable groups that make money from the sales of fireworks - now they have to relocate outside of Vancouver, if they can find a new site. I honestly won't be surprised if public pressure gets this ridiculous law overturned.

There is BIG money selling fireworks - Van City is going to loose oodles of tax revenue from this.

Especially from all of the OR folks that want halfway decent stuff.

I can't site the source but I want to say this was settled last year about this time.

This is the same Mayor that won the election on a No Toll Bridge platform but then backtracked and did a 180o_O

Here in Kent WA they'be banned fireworks and I'm totally behind the ban. Too many aholes and elbows shoot off roman candles over my house, not their house. Afterward they leave the mess and just walk away. Go visit local parks the morning after, who's going to clean up the mess?

Here in Kent WA they'be banned fireworks and I'm totally behind the ban. Too many aholes and elbows shoot off roman candles over my house, not their house. Afterward they leave the mess and just walk away. Go visit local parks the morning after, who's going to clean up the mess?

Well, I look at this this way - think of the people that go out and shoot guns on public lands, leave messes, do unsafe things and don't clean up after themselves. I suppose we should ban the use of guns too - because of the aholes that misuse them??

I know it's not an issue of the constitutional right of fireworks, but I find it funny that some gun folks (not pointing this directly at you specifically @rampage777) are against any restrictions on gun ownership, but ready to let the government take full control over other areas, such as using fireworks. Seems on the edge of hypocrisy to me - either a person is for freedom/rights or they're not. Picking and choosing based on a person's personal preference seems no different than anti's saying they don't like guns and pushing for more gun control.

So, for that reason, I continue to stand against more laws and restrictions by the government, even though some people will do stupid things with them - if they do, prosecute them fully for property damage, etc. and hope that other idiots learn the lesson down the road.

Do we only stand for liberty/freedom when it suits our personal needs, but all to happy to restrict others when it's something we don't like??

Well, I look at this this way - think of the people that go out and shoot guns on public lands, leave messes, do unsafe things and don't clean up after themselves. I suppose we should ban the use of guns too - because of the aholes that misuse them??

I know it's not an issue of the constitutional right of fireworks, but I find it funny that some gun folks (not pointing this directly at you specifically @rampage777) are against any restrictions on gun ownership, but ready to let the government take full control over other areas, such as using fireworks. Seems on the edge of hypocrisy to me - either a person is for freedom/rights or they're not. Picking and choosing based on a person's personal preference seems no different than anti's saying they don't like guns and pushing for more gun control.

So, for that reason, I continue to stand against more laws and restrictions by the government, even though some people will do stupid things with them - if they do, prosecute them fully for property damage, etc. and hope that other idiots learn the lesson down the road.

Do we only stand for liberty/freedom when it suits our personal needs, but all to happy to restrict others when it's something we don't like??

I don't believe there should be any restriction on firearm ownership at all for I'm a NRA life member. At my outdoor range we are required to pick up all of our garbage and shells. We clean up after ourselves. But unfortunately they are infringing on my right to remain in quiet and serenity. Fireworks is not a right, it's a privilege. You abuse the privilege, it gets taken away.

I don't believe there should be any restriction on firearm ownership at all for I'm a NRA life member. At my outdoor range we are required to pick up all of our garbage and shells. We clean up after ourselves. But unfortunately they are infringing on my right to remain in quiet and serenity. Fireworks is not a right, it's a privilege. You abuse the privilege, it gets taken away.

I already noted this wasn't a direct equivalence as fireworks aren't a guaranteed right. But I do wonder why folks are so quick to let the government step in just because the Constitution doesn't prevent them from doing so.

I agree if someone abuses the privilege then THEY lose the right - the individual. But why pass laws that punish everyone for the actions of a few?

I just heard today on the news that there are no fireworks allowed to be sold or fired off in Vancouver, WA - none. No sparklers, nothing.

Are that many people in Vancouver actually okay with that? Or have the local politicians gone completely insane?

And here I thought Oregon was bad. Way to shut down yet another piece of Americana, Vancouver. Well done o_O

What the hell is wrong with those setting policy?????

I should be able to blow crap up whenever I want too.

My neighbors have watched our shows and while I clean the whole street, they clean up their front yards with a smile.

Can't lump everyone into one group and that's what Vantukey did.

At least fireworks aren't every night, year 'round like yapping sh!tasz annoying dogs. I have a strong suspicion that a lot of those who are opposed to fireworks have a dog(s) that sh!ts everywhere and regularly prevents neighbors from getting a good night's rest.

I love dogs. Truly, without question, man's best friend. But, when I have the rare occasion to sleep at "home", I should have the right to do so without having to shut the window and/or wear ear plugs just because some ahole is too lazy or inconsiderate to keep their pet from disturbing others. If it's New Year's Eve or July 4th I just naturally expect people to be loud and obnoxious.
Maybe I'm a minority here, but I feel like it's an American's RIGHT to get loud and crazy in celebration of our beautiful country.
I've lost good friends, brothers, to the fight to retain your freedom. I will damn sure support your getting obnoxious on Independence Day.

Slippery slope guys, the more you ask big brother to take care of your discomforts for you, the more power you give them to control you.

A tangent, convoluted rant, I know, but I'm foggy tired and not going to edit:eek::p
Good night.

The reason Vancouver banned fireworks was because of all the fires the city had to put out every year.

But yeah, I see etrains point of view, it is kina ironic gun owners would support the prohibition.... I agree they should punish the violator. Start a fire, pay the citys cost to fight it.... Problem would go away quickly.

Last Edited:
[QUOTE="ron, post: 1706204, member: 9034"

....like are neighbor state to the south .... Who aren't trusted by the state
to pump their own gas.:D:confused:[/QUOTE]

Interesting this pops up. I was around when Washingtonians couldn't pump their own gas either. The argument for self serve was cheaper fuel. That lasted for a while, til ultimately, gasoline in Washington costs more than Oregon, gas pumpers all lost their jobs, and you chance getting gas on yourself when the nozzles are not maintained.

I have worked around industrial chemicals for a lot of years. I've seen many people get the cancer. Modern gasoline is nasty stuff, and I don't want to handle the stuff without protection. If it's so safe for customers, why is it required by law that the tanker drivers wear protective gear when they are offloading?

Back on topic.:D As a kid, even in the fifties, we never had good fireworks in Oregon. Folks from here would travel to Battleground to buy the really good stuff, even then.

Interesting this pops up. I was around when Washingtonians couldn't pump their own gas either. The argument for self serve was cheaper fuel. That lasted for a while, til ultimately, gasoline in Washington costs more than Oregon, gas pumpers all lost their jobs, and you chance getting gas on yourself when the nozzles are not maintained.

I have worked around industrial chemicals for a lot of years. I've seen many people get the cancer. Modern gasoline is nasty stuff, and I don't want to handle the stuff without protection. If it's so safe for customers, why is it required by law that the tanker drivers wear protective gear when they are offloading?

Back on topic.:D As a kid, even in the fifties, we never had good fireworks in Oregon. Folks from here would travel to Battleground to buy the really good stuff, even then.

I'm for self-serve, but only because I get such crappy and slow service at most stations. For the limited exposure I would have, I could keep a pair of gloves in the car - as for the fumes, the driver is getting those anyway. I might be open to a compromise - self-serve lanes and regular serve lanes.

As for the fireworks, there was always the Warm Springs/Kah-Née-Ta area too ;)

Last Edited:

Ouch a little sensitive subject?:oops: I am just poking fun of the border
state to the south.:rolleyes: I would rather choose to pump my own gas or not.
I resent being forced by "the State".
The state that taxes your income again! As if the Feds
didn't taken enough.:(:(:(
On subject. Outside the City limits of Vancouver it is fireworks
sales as usual. South of the Fred Meyers in Orchards, big tents set up
and they are unloading semi trucks full of fireworks.:D:D:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR