JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just heard today on the news that there are no fireworks allowed to be sold or fired off in Vancouver, WA - none. No sparklers, nothing.

Are that many people in Vancouver actually okay with that? Or have the local politicians gone completely insane?

And here I thought Oregon was bad. Way to shut down yet another piece of Americana, Vancouver. Well done o_O

They were banned here decade or so ago. It's like some kind of joke. Sounds like a war zone here for days before and after. 911 dispatchers are not laughing though. The lines MELT down with nanny's all calling 911 at the same time. LEO's do always have a couple units drive around and "confiscate" them. You have to be pretty dumb to get caught. Some will drive to Reservation, literally fill the back of a truck and of course get pulled over, then cry. Or set up in the front yard doing a semi-professional display. when Cops roll up they have it all sitting there, and they cry. Us? We buy some. Wife loves them. We go out, with water at ready, set off some while keeping eye out. If LEO drives by we are doing nothing. The problem here is like with so many things. A few MORONS get hurt and cause fires. So they try to pass laws to protect everyone from the 1% who are idiots to protect us all from the idiots.

I just heard today on the news that there are no fireworks allowed to be sold or fired off in Vancouver, WA - none. No sparklers, nothing.

Are that many people in Vancouver actually okay with that? Or have the local politicians gone completely insane?

And here I thought Oregon was bad. Way to shut down yet another piece of Americana, Vancouver. Well done o_O
It's still game-on outside the city limits. (and I'm sure there will be outlaws)
In my neighborhood it was like WW III on every 4th !
Surprised the whole place didn't burn down.

My neighborhood just north of Vancouver is like a bad day in the Middle East - explosions and colors in every direction, so many that you can get whiplash trying to catch even half of it.

When I made a very good living the whole street stopped buying and just watched us (we used crackling whips as fuses to string a couple dozen together to go off a half a min after the last one started), it was good times.

This year I still have some left over but we probably aren't going to buy more.

Oh, and Vancouver sucks:p

I wish I could shoot my black powder guns in the air with black powder blank loads- powder and wadding. I don't because legally it is considered discharging a firearm in any populated area which is illegal. But I love the boom, the flame and the smoke all contained in a small area, no flying over anyone's property or creating a mess. I don't feel like pressing my luck though. But people seem to get away with small signal cannons though.

I thought they were banned this year too. I was up by The Freddy's in Orchards today
they are setting up fireworks tents? Maybe they are going to sell the "Safe and Sane"
fireworks like are neighbor state to the south sell. Who aren't trusted by the state
to pump their own gas.:D:confused:

Mark Twain:

FOURTH OF JULY. Statistics show that we lose more fools on this day than in all the other days of the year put together. This proves, by the number left in stock, that one Fourth of July per year is now inadequate, the country has grown so.

:D:p

On behalf of dogs everywhere, I say screw fireworks.

Yea, my dog has a lot of anxiety. Not as bad as the dog we lost last year but still enough that we give him a very small dose of Valium (vet prescribed).

We also keep all of the window AC's on and turn the movie (indepenance day) on repeat and turn it up to help normalize the noise as that movie is loud for a good chunk of the time.

He is more deaf so maybe this year will be a little better but you can still feel the concussions from mortars are such.

I personally think we need to celebrate Independence Day during a month that has a good rainfall.July is a bad time of the year for fires. How about New Year and Independence day at the same time.Jan 1 is a good time to get it all out of the system and too wet to burn down the town.;)

I am most concerned about the 30 acres of dry standing grass and hay that surrounds my property so I am not a fan of aerial fireworks this year
It has been said that 4th of july is America's favorite holiday because it combines guns, alcohol and explosives. In my mind a questionable combination.

image.jpg

Kinda defeats what we are supposed to be celebrating and why...

Some don't know the why anyway, they just want to see pretty sparkles and hear a big bang. Most of us who served would prob. be satisfied to just get the flag out where it belongs listen to the National Anthem, and pledge allegiance on Independence day.To each his own I suppose. BTW....They put on a pretty good, and safe fireworks display on the Columbia river between Vancouver and Portland, or they did when I lived in the area.

When I posted the OP, I wasn't sure what kinds of replies would come on this topic, it's been more broad than I would have expected.

First, it surprised me some pro-gun folks seem to be fine with the government telling people no more fireworks - in some ways, I find that shocking and inconsistent with the fight to keep our gun rights.

That being said, I understand the following:
  • Fireworks are not a right and not protected under the constitution
  • Not all animals are okay with them, and they can be traumatic to some
  • Some people suffer from PTSD that can be triggered by fireworks (I know someone that is affected by them, was in an IED explosion, he stays quietly at home on the 4th)
  • Some folks have legitimate concerns over property damage
  • Some folks :rolleyes: may just be old grumps that like to rain on other's parades ;)
I also understand:
  • Some people simply don't exercise common sense with fireworks, just as some people don't exercise common sense with guns, fire, cars, alcohol and legal drugs.
I like fireworks, but I expect people to use them in an appropriate manner, that is safe and respectful of other's property and peace. I don't personally think the government should be restricting the type of fireworks or where they can be used. But I probably fall on the libertarian side of things when it comes to this stuff.

There are some very legitimate concerns stated. So, what is a better solution than passing laws saying people can't do something that we've done in the celebration of our independence for many, many years? Perhaps one idea could be identifying some areas, certain fields, parks, etc., where people can be allowed to gather and barbecue, celebrate and have a place to light off all those fireworks. These could be areas all over so no one has to drive hours away to do this. By consolidating people into certain areas, emergency services could readily be on hand should a fire be sparked or someone be injured.

Either way, I'm no fan of the government limiting things like this - we have far too much government restriction on our lives as it is. Government is supposed to serve at our pleasure, and certainly not to spend their time finding ways to limit us.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top