JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Help!
I have no less than 4 apple devices that have damaged screens that need replaced, and I can't afford the tech outfits right now.

Most importantly my IPad 5(2017). 9.5" that is my life blood. I use it constantly for my livlyhood, and maybe probably more importantly it's my window to the NWFA community!
even 1 hour away from it is painful...

Over the summer while on a road trip with my kids it took a dive and the screen has progressively gotten worse.
I'd buy a new one..(they are less than $300) but I'm on a crazy tight budget, and I need it fixed because I'm afraid it's gunna stop working!

Any fellow NWFAer do replacements?

I also have an older IPad (gen4 I believe) with a broken screen that stopped taking a charge, thought about getting this fixed as an emergency backup...

My daughters iPhone(cheaper/smaller one from metro PCS)
Has a severely shattered screen that I can't afford to replace...
I'd get major Bonus points for this one..

And my IMac fell off the desk and cracked.(no emergency there tho damage is minimal...just annoying on the eyes)

Eventually all these need fixed, but my iPad is a priority...
HELP PLEASE!

Looks like I can order the screen for $30, but I'm not comfortable swapping screens for fear I'll kill my livelihood!

-Mygrainman

Last Edited:
Most of the screen replacement shows will do for about ~$100.00 the only less expensive way is to order the kit off eBay or amazon and watch the videos.
Best of luck.

Most of the screen replacement shows will do for about ~$100.00 the only less expensive way is to order the kit off eBay or amazon and watch the videos.
Best of luck.
Ya, but like I stated above.. I'm not tech savvy.
I'm 10 credits short of an ASE certified AA degree in diesel/heavy equipment technologies(unable to do that physically now tho thanks to a log truck... irony), and of course I work on guns all the time, and would like to smith in the future...
But computers, especially these little marvels of what I believe to be reverse engineered alien tech(no other way to explain it)
I'm not going there!

Help!
I have no less than 4 apple devices that have damaged screens that need replaced, and I can't afford the tech outfits right now.

Most importantly my IPad 5(2017). 9.5" that is my life blood. I use it constantly for my livlyhood, a d surfing here on NWFA...even 1 hour away from it is painful...
Over the summer while on a road trip with my kids it took a dive and the screen has progressively gotten worse.
I'd buy a new one..(they are less than $300) but I'm on a crazy tight budget, and I need it fixed because I'm afraid it's gunna stop working!

Any fellow NWFAer do replacements?

I also have an older IPad (gen4 I believe) with a broken screen that stopped taking a charge.

My daughters iPhone(cheaper/smaller one from metro PCS)
Has a severely shattered screen that I can't afford to replace...
I'd get major Bonus points for this one..

And my IMac fell off the desk and cracked.(no emergency there tho)

Eventually all these need fixed, but my iPad is a priority...
HELP PLEASE!

Looks like I can order the screen for $30, but I'm not comfortable swapping screens for fear I'll kill my livelihood!

-Mygrainman

You can do it yourself. It's not that hard. I've changed the screen in one of my tablets. The hardest part is getting it apart. It usually requires a special tool or a very small torx. The screens plugin so it's easy to put the new one in. Look at youtube. There's also ifixit. iPad 5 Wi-Fi Repair

I will give you this tip, cover the table with white paper. That way if you drop a screw it will be easy to find.

..Also, for any Apple techs out there..
My old, and also shattered iPad 4 stopped taking a charge.
Any way to fix this? It has a bunch of pictures etc. that I need to recover and I'd like to have it as a backup....

Not comfortable with this... maybe if I could afford two kits, and practiced on my old one first... IDK the prospect gives me anxiety.
No problem tearing apart my new $1000+ SIG Tacops 10mm 1911... it's turn of last century tech... albeit from the genius mind of the great JMB...

but a $300 iPad....
Nope.

Either the batter is shot or the USB port is. I had a USB port die and ended up wirelessly charging it until I could replace the USB port.

The worst thing that can happen is you're in the middle of doing and something happens due to very unfortunate luck and you die.

Once you're comfortable with that you can do it. :rolleyes:

Stop dropping them.
Thanks for playing captain obvious:s0155:

BTW, as a trusted and much respected mod, I'm sure you have Joe's ear...
Will you ask him if he'll add a smiley with a middle finger?
I recently needed one and all I could find was a winking thumbs up.

:D

Make sure the charging cable is still good, that there is no debris, and that its not the chargers/adapters.

If none of the above its likely a connection issue.
I blasted the lightning port with canned air and even tried cleaning the port out with some fine sand and maple syrup.

Seriously though, port is clean, and charge cords work fine on other devices. It was charging fine when I put it away months ago, but I took it out to find some old pics, and it had like 2% battery and wouldn't recognize any of the half dozen lightning cords I tried.
Now it's dead.

I blasted the lightning port with canned air and even tried cleaning the port out with some fine sand and maple syrup.

Seriously though, port is clean, and charge cords work fine on other devices. It was charging fine when I put it away months ago, but I took it out to find some old pics, and it had like 2% battery and wouldn't recognize any of the half dozen lightning cords I tried.
Now it's dead.
Could be a bad battery. Once they go bad the units will not charge.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews