JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Typical letter many who were concerned about gun violence received from Merkley. I highlighted the part where he says something about "protecting the constitutional right", so I guess he's not anti-gun, right?
I'm sure many of you gun advocates that were worried about further restrictions received an almost similar letter minus the first sentence, I know I did!

Dear MrXXXXX,
Thank you for contacting me to express your views on legislation to reduce gun violence. As Oregonians, we have experienced more than enough gun violence and this issue hits close to home for many of us. And yet many Oregonians cherish their guns and want to ensure that they continue to have the right to use them safely. I appreciate knowing the thoughts of Oregonians on all sides of this complex issue.
As you probably know, the Senate recently debated the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act (S.649), a bill that I have supported as a strong effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and reduce gun violence without impinging on the Second Amendment. The bill's main thrust is to close loopholes in the background check system, including the gun-show loophole. Oregon closed the gun-show loophole years ago, so this is consistent with choices we have made. I believe strongly that the most basic protection we can provide is to do a better job keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and people with serious mental illnesses who may pose a threat to themselves and others. The bill also includes provisions strengthening criminal penalties for people who conduct "straw purchases" on behalf of others in order to evade background checks.
During the debate of the bill, the Senate also considered amendments on a number of other provisions. I supported restrictions on large ammunition magazines, which are not needed for hunting or target shooting, but have been used in many mass shootings, and on military-style assault weapons. I also voted in favor of a bipartisan amendment to improve the mental health system and an amendment by Senator Barrasso (R-WY) to stop states from publicly disclosing personal information about people with gun permits.
I recognize that Oregonians come down in very different places on some of these policy choices. I come from rural Oregon and recognize the importance of hunting, target shooting, and gun collecting in many communities. I am committed to protecting the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. As a parent and a policymaker, I also feel a strong responsibility to take meaningful action to reduce the gun deaths and injuries that plague our country and to keep kids safe. We need to do what we can to prevent the horror of Newtown and Clackamas Town Center and so many other tragedies from happening again. I believe S. 649 meets both of those priorities.
Work on the bill was suspended after it became clear that it lacked the supermajority of 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. If the Senate returns to this topic, I will certainly keep your views in mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
All my best,
Jeff Merkley
United States Senate

My biggest problem with Jeff Merkley is figuring out a way to describe my opinion of him on this website without every other word getting changed into "bubblegum".

I also received the same form letter mentioned above. You have to love how he claims that he's from rural Oregon and understands the community...but lived in Portland after first grade. What a pantload.

I'll never vote for him.

Merkley is the typical lying liberal politician and has mastered the art of doublespeak.
He is precisely what we must get out of government positions. He is the master of not answering a question
and his agenda is 100% left. He is pro UN, Pro globalist control and will ride any anti gun bill that comes his way while denying he is anti 2nd Amendment.
Never once has he answered a letter that I sent to him with a straight answer.
He could easily qualify for a PHD in B.S.

What a pantload.

Agreed.

Double Speak - Yes
See through - Yes
Voting out - Yes

Just like most have agreed, if you take out 1 of the first ten amendments you will have taken out the entire constitution. I have seen proof that this is quite possible with out constitution.

We need fresh old thinking in our leaders again.

Merkley's anti-gun, anti-2nd amendment votes in the senate speak a thousand times louder than any claptrap that rolls out of his mouth. He's proven he's anti gun by his voting record. He has voted in favor of every piece of legislation that would have restricted our 2nd amendment rights. His actions reveal his true intentions. He is no friend to gun owners. He will not be getting my vote.

You know what? I'd be more into clubbing him over the head about his complicity in adding SEVEN TRILLION DOLLARS to the national debt since that POS has been the POTUS.

I know we're talking 2A here but the national debt IS a threat to national security, and by default makes that related to the 2A, ultimately. :mad:

I would categorize Merkley as heavily anti-gun.

Merkley is basically a vote for whatever the party leadership wants and doesn't really have his own opinion. It's an area where I say Wyden is better despite my dislike for many or Wyden's positions.

Here's the votes where Merkley voted in opposition to majority of dems: <broken link removed>

Cut to the quick, NICE!! :)

The only problem with that is it doesn't give any "low information" voters with Democrat voting proclivities an opportunity to get their minds right concerning the issue. ;)

You mean those voters that will wish they had proclivities for buying body armor ?? LOL

That is nothing like the letter I received from Merkley a year or so ago in response to a letter from me condemning a proposed ban on "assault weapons". His reply in that letter was basically "F*** You!"

The U.N. Resolution 2117 lists 21 points dealing with firearms control, but perhaps of most interest is point number 11. It: "CALLS FOR MEMBER STATES TO SUPPORT WEAPONS COLLECTION and DISARMAMENT of all UN countries."
By a 53-46 vote - The U.S. Senate voted against the U.N. resolution. HOORAY.
This is that brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around...reloading.
Now, Which 46 Senators Voted to Destroy Us? Well, let their names become known! See below. If you vote in one of the states listed with these 46 "legis..traitors"… vote against them.
In a 53-46 vote, the Senate narrowly passed a measure that will stop the United States from entering into the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. The Statement of Purpose from the Senate Bill reads: "To uphold Second Amendment rights and prevent the United States from entering into the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty." The U.N. Small Arms Treaty, which has been championed by the Obama Administration, would have effectively placed a global ban on the import and export of small firearms. The ban would have affected all private gun owners in the U.S. and had language that would have implemented an international gun registry, now get this, on all private guns and ammo.
Astonishingly, 46 out of our 100 United States Senators were willing to give away our Constitutional rights to a foreign power.
Here are the 46 senators who voted to give your rights to the U.N.
Baldwin (D-WI)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bennett (D-CO)
Blumenthal (D-CT)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Coons (D-DE)
Cowan (D-MA)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Franken (D-MN)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hirono (D-HI)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kaine (D-VA)
King (I-ME)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Merkley (D-OR)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murphy (D-CT)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Schatz (D-HI)
Schumer (D-NY)
Shaheen (D-NH)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Udall (D-CO)
Udall (D-NM)
Warner (D-VA)
Warren (D-MA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)
Folks: This needs to go viral. These Senators voted to let the UN take OUR guns. They need to lose their next election. We have been betrayed.
46 Senators Voted to Give your 2nd Amendment Constitutional Rights to the U.N.

As you can see Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden voted to support the UN Resolution to take all firearms - they do not support the 2nd Amendment is any way shape or form - Jeff Merkley is a liar and a traitor and he does not deserve to be re-elected.

Ok, seems like everyone here agrees! No wait a minute, it's just the usual crowd. The rest don't vote, don't care or like the way things are! Not everyone thinks the 2ndAmendment is a priority.

I'm afraid this guy and his brethren are going back to Salem after the election. Too bad.:mad:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top