JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would suggest not letting the dogs run off leash if you can't call them off of an animal.

Treeing a cat and then shooting it sounds an awful lot like poaching to me.

I would suggest not letting the dogs run off leash if you can't call them off of an animal.

Treeing a cat and then shooting it sounds an awful lot like poaching to me.
I agree about the need to be able to reliably call your dog off an animal. If you couldn't, and your dog treed something, hopefully it would stay treed until you could leash the dog. Legally speaking, if you shot an animal that your dog had treed while out of control, it might well be considered poaching. And whatever it was considered, the animal would be dead because of your being in the woods with a dog you couldn't control, an unethical situation.

But there are first time situations. The half-chow bltch who was my woods companion for years had been completely reliable on being called off the occasional cat or squirrel. But chows were bred for bear baiting. Would she obey if I had to call her off a bear? I couldn't be sure until it happen and she did.

Last Edited:
OldBroad44: Great advice. I think you missed your calling; you write and describe extremely well. Maybe you are or should be an outdoor writer? Larry
Thanks Larry. Actually, I'm a garden writer, among other things.
Carol

Last Edited:
I agree about the need to be able to reliably call your dog off an animal. If you couldn't, and your dog treed something, hopefully it would stay treed until you could leash the dog. Legally speaking, if you shot an animal that your dog had treed while out of control, it might well be considered poaching. And whatever it was considered, the animal would be dead because of your being in the woods with a dog you couldn't control, an unethical situation.

But there are first time situations. The half-chow bltch who was my woods companion for years had been completely reliable on being called off the occasional cat or squirrel. But chows were bred for bear baiting. Would she obey if I had to call her off a bear? I couldn't be sure until it happen and she did.

Fair points. I can't even call my dog off of a leaf blowing in the wind :) so he stays on leash!

Fair points. I can't even call my dog off of a leaf blowing in the wind :) so he stays on leash!
I had a Siberian Husky that could not be called off animals. Leashing him was such a pain it spoiled my fun. I tried using a drag, a small chunk of log attached by a short rope to his harness that tangled and anchored him the minute he tried to leave the path. That was better. But better still was giving him to a good friend and sticking with just my other dog, who was a good woods dog.

I had a Siberian Husky that could not be called off animals. Leashing him was such a pain it spoiled my fun. I tried using a drag, a small chunk of log attached by a short rope to his harness that tangled and anchored him the minute he tried to leave the path. That was better. But better still was giving him to a good friend and sticking with just my other dog, who was a good woods dog.

Huskies are batbubblegum insane, and you have toto be crazy yourself to enjoy owning one :)

Huskies are batbubblegum insane, and you have toto be crazy yourself to enjoy owning one :)
Siberian Huskies have huge exercise needs. I think mine literally was insane unless he was run hard two or three times a week. I would go to a fairgrounds where there was road without traffic. Put him in a sit next to my car. (Unleashed.) I'd get in car and order "Walk with me." to get us going. Then I'd yell "Run ahead." Dog would move out ahead of vehicle and run flat out for about three miles, his mouth laughing with joy. I let him set the pace. Then he would slow down a little and run a few more miles at fast lope. When he started slowing down from there, I'd reverse the commands to end up with him sitting next to the car for loading. After one of those runs he was a perfectly sane dog for about three days.

Most Siberians have huge prey drives though. However well trained they are in other respects, most will chase deer and other wildlife and can't be called off. Not good woods dogs. The husky was my Charter Arms dog. The one you get before you really know what you're doing.

Last Edited:
Flash back to about 1986. M193 ammo down a 20" 1x12 twist barrel. It took 2-3 shots to put down a 50 pound wild dog. Enter the 1X14 twist 20" barrel. AR15 Rifle. All it took was one shot center of mass. Dog parts literally flew.

Long ago, far away. I digress. Wild dog packs are not to be ignored. First only one. Very friendly. Then 3 to 5. Then up to a dozen. All converging on target simultaneously. You can literally shoot dry so quickly. Many targets. Scary.

Consider the M2 USGI Carbine slung in a tactical format on your chest. SP ammo. At least 5 reload mags. If you are actually attacked by a big wild dog pack you have probably already lost the shoot out. But the odds of this are very low.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules, Regulations And Whims Apply.

Wolves are not going to hang around after the first blast of 357 or 44 mag goes off or am I wrong? If I have my two dogs with me that would be unlikely. I am shooting 357 158 gr soft point bullets.

Google the history of fatal wolf attacks. Most fatal wolf attacks in recorded history where a firearm / knife were present stated the remains of the person(s) were found surrounded by the wolves that they had killed before being overcome by the remaining ones. Imagine shooting 5 wolves dead and still getting eaten because the remaining ones didn't stop coming.

Scary freaking stuff.

Flash back to about 1986. M193 ammo down a 20" 1x12 twist barrel. It took 2-3 shots to put down a 50 pound wild dog. Enter the 1X14 twist 20" barrel. AR15 Rifle. All it took was one shot center of mass. Dog parts literally flew.

Long ago, far away. I digress. Wild dog packs are not to be ignored. First only one. Very friendly. Then 3 to 5. Then up to a dozen. All converging on target simultaneously. You can literally shoot dry so quickly. Many targets. Scary.

Consider the M2 USGI Carbine slung in a tactical format on your chest. SP ammo. At least 5 reload mags. If you are actually attacked by a big wild dog pack you have probably already lost the shoot out. But the odds of this are very low.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules, Regulations And Whims Apply.
Bullet design is critical. The M193 ammo would have been full metal jacket and shaped like a needle. Right? That bullet design penetrates well but goes through flesh with little resistance, essentially making a minimal slit and doing little damage--unless it hits so hard it causes damage through hydrostatic shock. My understanding is this design works in war because it results in more injuries and fewer deaths, and that is best because each injured soldier ties up two or more other soldiers to evacuate and care for him or her.

Bear loads in handgun calibers are usually designed to go all the way through the animal, even if heavy bone is hit, while presenting a bullet that has as large a flat nose as possible to smash as much tissue and do as much damage as possible--and to do so in a context where bullet speeds are low enough that hydrostatic shock doesn't contribute much to permanent wound channels.

I agree that feral dog packs, such as you can get in war zones, are way scarier than wolves. They can have been eating human flesh and consider people as just food. Food that can easily be tricked by a fake display of friendliness. Much smaller feral packs sometimes cause problems for livestock here. I think if we had any human-attacking packs of feral dogs in USA, we would eliminate them pretty quickly in ordinary times. However, large feral dog packs certainly might be an issue in some SHTF scenarios.

Google the history of fatal wolf attacks. Most fatal wolf attacks in recorded history where a firearm / knife were present stated the remains of the person(s) were found surrounded by the wolves that they had killed before being overcome by the remaining ones. Imagine shooting 5 wolves dead and still getting eaten because the remaining ones didn't stop coming.

Scary freaking stuff.
Reminder to self: Practice tree climbing skills.

Reminder to self: Practice tree climbing skills.

No kidding, that was the one common theme from survivors who at times even witnessed others being consumed who didn't make it up the tree in time! At this point my Wolf survival strategy is use the firearm enough to allow me to make it to a climbable tree.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top