JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A buddy went shooting with a firearm i had sold him and on his 3rd 9mm round the sides blew out of the frame and after examining his ammo i found they were factory reloads from a company I wasn't familiar with but on some of them the casing was bulging towards the bottom of the casing enough to catch with the naked eye.
Now I have 2 issues 1 is the ammo it shouldn't have been used but the semi auto pistol should not have fired that far out of battery if I'm not mistaken and I'm hoping others could chime in and give me their thoughts.

20211018_100050.jpg

ammo i found they were factory reloads from a company I wasn't familiar with
If I were to get anything to the reason why the gun kaboomed, it would be this part of your post.

Crap ammo, causes bad experiences. Especially random reloads by random companies.

I would not blame the gun at all. Especially if it was once your gun and you never had any similar issues.

If I were to get anything to the reason why the gun kaboomed, it would be this part of your post.

Crap ammo, causes bad experiences. Especially random reloads by random companies.

I would not blame the gun at all. Especially if it was once your gun and you never had any similar issues.
I'm fairly picky about ammo and never had any issues but the striker should not have been able to be released until the slide was all the way forward right?
He knows where the issue lies but wanted to learn a bit from his experience as well as far as when a semi auto should fire and should not

"factory reloads" from unknown company
a host of possibilities...

a decade past, I had one of my own personal reloads blow out on a 9 mm Glock. No real damage but certainly a moment of new educational opportunity.

I'm fairly picky about ammo and never had any issues but the striker should not have been able to be released until the slide was all the way forward right?
He knows where the issue lies but wanted to learn a bit from his experience as well as far as when a semi auto should fire and should not
Take any pistol you own. Pull the slide back a hair and pull the trigger. You'll learn many are capable of this.

I still don't think that was why this pistol went kaboom.

Take any pistol you own. Pull the slide back a hair and pull the trigger. You'll learn many are capable of this.

I still don't think that was why this pistol went kaboom.
You may be shocked at how far back some of them will still fire. My own kaboom caused me to examine that possibility.
If you reload, you will also be surprised at how many cases in 1K will have the belly or the "Glock smile". It isn't just glock, either.
I now use a case checker for my loaded rounds. If it doesn't plunk, out it goes.

...I now use a case checker for my loaded rounds. If it doesn't plunk, out it goes.
Same. And a barrel, depending what I'm loading.

Our CZ's, as an example have tighter tolerances than our other semi-autos. Even when the ammo passes a case checker, sometimes will not completely go into battery on some of the CZ's. So I found it easier to have one of the CZ barrels handy.

You may be shocked at how far back some of them will still fire. My own kaboom caused me to examine that possibility.
If you reload, you will also be surprised at how many cases in 1K will have the belly or the "Glock smile". It isn't just glock, either.
I now use a case checker for my loaded rounds. If it doesn't plunk, out it goes.
Guns are all about stacking tolerances. Too tight it doesn't function or can be very ammo picky. Too loose, you get poor accuracy and not a whole lot of precision.

Most semi auto pistols try to balance tolerances to allow for decent precision and good reliability. Which can be extremely hard to do in today's market. With ammo choices and such.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top