JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, we've all heard the term, "Once Fired." To me, this means cartridge brass that results from a first firing of factory ammo. Subsequent to this firing, it hasn't been reloaded and fired again.

So how about this interpretation from a Gunbroker seller:

"Once fired brass" is an industry term that describes used brass cases. We do not guarantee that all brass cases we sell for reloading have only been fired once". The used brass cases are from my father who was the reloader. I am not a reloader. I cannot personally inspect every used brass case. I sell the brass as used with no guarantee that all used brass cases are only fired one time. Hence the stipulation at the bottom of the listing for "once fired" cases.

End quote.

"Industry term that describes used brass," complete horse droppings. His stipulation is a distortion of the truth.

I'd think that anyone selling used brass online should be less careless about the condition of it. Meaning, it should be cleaned and inspected before offering it for sale. Otherwise, how could they give an accurate description?

Trying to cover his arse with a distorted definition to sell crap brass and hoping no one will read past "Once fired brass" before buying.

Anyone complains: "It was in the description", "your fault", "no refunds".

Simple as that.

I consider what's described above as "range brass", usually followed by "mixed headstamp".
The only brass from an unknown source that I would trust as "once fired" isn't usually cleaned and still has the spent factory crimped primer.

Once fired brass is...

Now wait a minute what is the definition of the word is ???

The man (?) obviously has a future in politics. :rolleyes:

1662705717389.png

Aloha, Mark

Okay, we've all heard the term, "Once Fired." To me, this means cartridge brass that results from a first firing of factory ammo. Subsequent to this firing, it hasn't been reloaded and fired again.

"Once fired brass" is an industry term that describes used brass cases. We do not guarantee that all brass cases we sell for reloading have only been fired once". The used brass cases are from my father who was the reloader. I am not a reloader. I cannot personally inspect every used brass case. I sell the brass as used with no guarantee that all used brass cases are only fired one time. Hence the stipulation at the bottom of the listing for "once fired" cases.

End quote.

"Industry term that describes used brass," complete horse droppings. His stipulation is a distortion of the truth.

I'd think that anyone selling used brass online should be less careless about the condition of it. Meaning, it should be cleaned and inspected before offering it for sale. Otherwise, how could they give an accurate description?
Once fired brass is...

Now wait a minute what is the definition of the word is ???

The man (?) obviously has a future in politics.

He's clearly a threat to our "democracy".

I consider what's described above as "range brass", usually followed by "mixed headstamp".
The only brass from an unknown source that I would trust as "once fired" isn't usually cleaned and still has the spent factory crimped primer.
Yup.

Range pickups following a LEO training session, as a simplified example. If we pick them up.

I've noticed this same thing a number of times, on various sites that sell used brass.
Disclaimers from a couple different sites I've seen:
OFB is an industry term to describe USED reloading brass cases. If looking for a perfect case, purchase new brass.

• Although called "once" fired, the actual number of times fired is unknown.
There is never a 100% guarantee that the brass is once fired. Though the common industry term for used brass is "once-fired brass," the reality is that a case may actually have been fired multiple times. Generally, used brass can be categorized into one of three categories: range brass, once-fired brass, and bulk brass. Each of these categories have their own unique characteristics, but none have specific definitions, so you may find that they overlap. It is important to determine how your supplier refers to them in order to select the right brass for your reloading needs.

The fine print disclaimers redefining "once fired" are cover tor careless, indifferent or shady merchandising. I don't buy their argument that the words "once fired" really means unknown. If unknown is the reality, it should be stated without crossing the line and calling it once fired. Plain and simple.

"Industry term" is another stretch. Meaning, because several people doing this sharp practice and using the same disclaimer, it's a standard.

Once fired rifle brass can be cleaned, even decapped and may still be identified as once fired. The tell-tale chamfer inside the case mouth gives it away as being fired multiple times. It's possible to reload unchamfered cases with boat tail bullets, but I don't think many reloaders would do this. Obviously if the case had been trimmed, it would require it regardless of bullet design. Even if the case hasn't been trimmed, there can be a sharp edge there to scrape the bullet.

As to buying used brass. I think it's probably acceptable if you can examine it physically before buying. Purchased online, you might get into some shady deals.

I rarely buy brass, but whenever I have, I've had pretty good luck. I bought some pistol brass a while back from a place that had the same "disclaimer".

I did a bit of a double-take when I saw it, but ordered anyway. It was fine; they even included a little extra. I didn't see any in the lot that looked remotely worn out.

I saw a gallon can full of match .308 brass at a gun show a while back for a decent price, but when I looked at it, I could tell it wasn't once-fired.

I asked the guy if he knew how many times it had been loaded. "I dunno, five or six I think. It still has plenty of life left in it".

I passed, but at least he was honest about it.

End quote.

Did the seller point out that the wording had been ruled legally accurate by the 9th Circuit Court, and both Facebook and Twitter "fact-checks" had decided that it was "True" ?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top