JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went sage rat hunting last year for the first time in my life. I passed this year for several reasons, but started planning for '15.

Last year I took an AR15 with 20" RRA Varmit upper and Geisselle trigger lower, and a Savage 93R17. Due to inexperience and incredible competition (was shooting against four other experienced varminters on their third day blasting rats), I was out of 223 ammo before I could put any dent on the rat population. With their 22-250 bolts, they blasted to smithereens everything beyond 150 yd. If you've don rant hunting, you know that the first few hours they are a little shy of the muzzle blasts and keep their distance.

After 3-4 hours of total frustration and disappointment, the seasoned shooters had had enough and left me alone with all them rats. By now all I had was 17HMR ammo. That's when I started to have some fun. Stupid rats had got emboldened and closer, some as close as 50yds. Easy pickings! Made up for the frustrations of the early hours.

I was very frustrated with my AR15 choice of scope and barrel length. I found I needed to tame the recoil (or the muzzle rise) to a point where I could watch my target blow up thru my scope. Barrel/rifle was too light and I was forced to set the scope zoom power to the lowest setting (4x). 17HMR recoil is so tame that was never a problem.

Why the long story? I stood no chance against these guys. Not only experience but their finely tuned 22-250 rigs blew me off the water. Next time I won't be outgunned. I am taking a 22-250. I am open to suggestions in both the rifle and the scope (or scope power). I'd like to stay close to the $1.5k mark. I mean, I would go higher but not by much, or I'd have to sell one of my babies to finance the new "project".

I now 22-250 recoil will be heavier than 223. What can I do to keep a good sight picture after I pull the trigger? I suspect I will be dealing with ~1700lb-ft muzzle energy. From experience, what would be a good rifle/scope/tripod combo in terms of weight for that kind of energy?

There are the rifles I have pondered:
-Tikka T3 Varmint 22-250
- Savage 12 LR 22-250 ( a bit out of my rifle/scope budget)
or, any heavy sub 0.5 MOA rifle you'd recommend.

Also, the twist rate. Choices are 12 vs 9 to 1. Since we are talking rats, so tiny, me thinks I'd be better of with the lighter bullets spectrum. Nevertheless, I am partial to the 55gr and those do well with 9:1, me thinks.

Finally, the scope. Just need to know what is the largest reasonable power I can expect to use while maintaining a complete sigh picture before, during and after the shot is taken.

These are things I'd expect serious rat varminters to have figured out. I'd appreciate your feedback.

I've thought about .204 but I;d rather stick to more mainstream bullets. I am partial to Nosler 224cal 55gr Ballistic Tip. Easy to find locally.

Also, I've considered either:
- attach a lead bag (from my sled) to the free flat fore grip, or something of the sort
- threading the barrel attach a sound suppressor.
Has anyone tried any of that for rats?

I like my old Remington 788 in 243 (can be found in 22-250) using 55gr nosler ballistic tips this is the longer 24" barrel (versus the 18" carbine) to have weight to reduce muzzle climb and better accuracy. To keep a good sight picture go with a bigger reticle like 6-24x50. The heavier the rifle/barrel the less muzzle rise you will get.

Just my .02 YMMV

If you want to see your hits with a .22-250 it will have to be very heavy. Even with 11 lb .223s I have a hard time seeing my hits. Have you considered a .20 caliber? The .204 Ruger will match the .22-250 for ballistics. The smartest sage rat caliber right now though is the .20 VarTarg.

Seriously, my favorite gopher/prairie dog/rock Chuck tool is a Remington SPS Varmint with 26" heavy barrel in .223 Rem. It has taken targets reliably out to 300 yards. Scope is a Leupold VX-3 with adjustable objective and fine duplex reticle in 4.5-14X. On a rest, I can see my hits, which I doubt you can with a 22-250. That 26" barrel pushes a 40 gr Ballistic Tip, Varmageddon or V-Max or Z-Max over 3600 fps and will provide the aerial effects we want to see. It also offers cheap factory ammo availability. I still am considering a Stag Model 6, but Don't like the idea of chasing my brass.

Here is What You need

283307_10150265232858308_4419601_n.jpg

I love my Vortex scopes. They are comparable to Leupolds, and half to a third of the cost. Several of us run them, and use both centerfire and rimfire.

Alot of people are getting into the .17 WSM. But ammo is a different story. It's stick with .223. It's a proven round, that is available in both reload, and boxed.

I love my 22-250 and have owned it for well over 20 years and I have killed everything from squeaks to coyotes with it. It is incredibly accurate and recoil is no issue at all. I went to the 22-250 because I was disappointed with the .223 Remington/5.56 NATO. Good combat round; disappointing varmint round. My choice is a Ruger M77 paired up with a Leupold 4 X 12 variable. I also invested in a high quality bi-pod which does increase the weight of the rifle, but the type of shooting I do involves elevated stationary stands waiting for the little buggers to show themselves! Great weapon.

I love my 22-250 and have owned it for well over 20 years and I have killed everything from squeaks to coyotes with it. It is incredibly accurate and recoil is no issue at all. I went to the 22-250 because I was disappointed with the .223 Remington/5.56 NATO. Good combat round; disappointing varmint round. My choice is a Ruger M77 paired up with a Leupold 4 X 12 variable. I also invested in a high quality bi-pod which does increase the weight of the rifle, but the type of shooting I do involves elevated stationary stands waiting for the little buggers to show themselves! Great weapon.
* Squeaks? Are you talking "tiny" sage rats?
* What twist rate, 1:9 or 1:12? What bullets weights?
* Is recoil low enough to allow you to keep the sight picture, and at what power?
* If you were to do it all over again, what you'd do different (example: heavier, longer barrel) and why?

I have warmed up considerably towards a .204 caliber but are not committed, yet, with ammo and metallic reloading components scarcity and all (where's the powder gone?)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews