JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rough night in Seattle.........

Seattle cop shot dead in drive-by attack

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33571716/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

Rookie female officer returns fire after colleague is killed, NBC station says

NBC, msnbc.com and news services
updated 7:58 a.m. PT, Sun., Nov . 1, 2009

SEATTLE - Seattle police say an officer has been fatally shot, likely the first police officer killed in the line of duty in the city since 2006.

Police say a male officer was training a female student officer in a marked patrol car Saturday night when their vehicle was struck several times by gunfire. They say the student officer suffered minor injuries in the shooting that took in the mostly residential Central District.

NBC station KING 5 reported that a female rookie officer was in the driver’s seat of a parked patrol car while her trainer, a male officer, was in the passenger seat.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

A vehicle pulled up alongside the patrol car and someone inside opened fire, KING 5 reported.

The trainer was struck and killed, police said.

The rookie officer, who was grazed by a bullet, managed to return fire as the car backed away and fled the scene, KING 5 reported.

Police say no other details were available.

A call on Sunday to a police spokesman referred inquiries to the department's Web site. After-hour calls Saturday were not immediately returned.

In August 2006, rookie officer Joselito Barber was killed when a woman drove her sport utility vehicle through a red light and broadsided his patrol car.

Brazen attacks on the Police now...The Gang element is out of control.
That's about as bad as it get's. I'm sure they will be utilizing all asset's to find who did this.
I hope they "Resist" arrest.
usrifle

(sigh) And so it begins. So far most have assumed this to be gang-related but there might be something different at work. Until the perpetrator is caught we'll never know though and there is a good chance he'll get away.

There's a one-time political wannabe by the name of Liz Michaels who still writes a bit. She has a website that can be found through Google. One of her essays was titled something like 'Did Timothy McVeigh Have the Right Idea?' In that essay she pretty well disected his (McVeigh's) reasons for bombing the federal building and came to the conclusion that he was wrong and that he'd committed a heinous deed.

Then she went on to point out that people in general (that's us, folks) were getting sick and tired of being pushed around by a budding police state. She felt that - sooner or later - people would start shooting random police officers since they were the visible end of the pointy stick they were being goaded with. The fact that they were also easily identifiable and relatively unprotected would make them particularly vulnerable.

Perhaps you guys are right and some gang member has used a random police officer to get his bona fides... and maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure glad I'm not a cop though.

It's also possible that it wasn't random. It could also have been someone with a grudge against that particular cop. Most cops are wary of people who they have arrested in the past, I think. ??

I feel sorry for the officer and his family.

However i am fearful of the 2A restrictions this might entail. there is nothing like an officer being shot to tug at the heart strings and encourage those that know best for everyone who live there.

Watch for more legislation shortly.

I used to live in that neighborhood and thats the reason I started concealed carrying, not an extremely bad neighborhood, but there are enough random acts of violence to make me carry

Perhaps you guys are right and some gang member has used a random police officer to get his bona fides... and maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure glad I'm not a cop though.

It does bring to light the fact, if a armed officer of the law can't protect himself from random or intended violence, what chance does a unarmed citizen have ??

It does bring to light the fact, if a armed officer of the law can't protect himself from random or intended violence, what chance does a unarmed citizen have ??

You all assume you know what happened. It could have been personal or a targeted attack on an authority apparatus. You notice the article doesn't state the ammo/gun used. Why aren't they releasing ballistics? Homicide is on the scene and they don't know the caliber of bullet? Ya right. The female officer returned fire but didn't know what make the car was? You also see how Nickels grandstanded and made a comment after his nice parks ban. Rather convenient. Watch out for some more legislation to come through here in a month or so because of this. Possibly trying to bring the Kalifornia ammo laws North maybe?

This could be a swipe at the cops by someone fedup, looking to make an example of the Seattle bureaucracy. Could be a gang member initiation (highly doubtful). Could be a drunk suburban white kid. The article paints the valiant picture of of police when the police are nothing but.

It should be a lesson to anyone, no matter what's on your chest. You're still mortal. You piss someone off enough and they'll kill you. And anyone can be gotten too with enough patience and will.

And if it was random, well that just reinforces the argument for the public to be armed. As it could of been granny going to the store.

Last Edited:
Could also be the perpetrator didn't know cops were in the vhehicle, the article said the car was parked... Maybe they just wanted to shoot up the car for drunken fun? FBI took down a Muslim gang last week and killed their leader, maybe a little random frustrated payback? But hey if this guy's name turns out to be Muhammed or Sayeed then its definitely a random act of violence just like when they killed two Army soldiers at a recruiting station or shoot up the Israeli ticket counter at LAX, or sniping people in D.C. Not terrorism, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....:(

I was going to mention that.

Guess they should of put more No Guns Allowed signs up. That would surely of saved that poor officer's life.......

Prayers and thoughts go out to the Seattle Police and the family's of the Officers involved.. Truly a sad situation...

Truly it is a sad situation but I fear it may become more common. We like to think of ourselves as stable, levelheaded, upright and lawful gun owning citizens. The fact is though, that there are many gun ownwers out there who either aren't so stable or who feel (and maybe rightly) that government has gone too far in some way, shape or form and they intend to exact retribution.

As I said above, I don't know but I think it a good idea to keep our eyes and minds open. We certainly live in interesting times.

It could have been that the two officers were having an affair, and that the shooter was a disgruntled spouse?
Anything goes at this point.
Best to wait for the whole story.

It could have been that the two officers were having an affair, and that the shooter was a disgruntled spouse?
Anything goes at this point.
Best to wait for the whole story.

Wierd...that was my initial thought! Not to be disrespectful, but that is the feeling I got when I read it. The guy was training the female police officer in their parked car...hmm. I don't know anything about being in the police force but the report seems to keep it open to interpretation.

You all assume you know what happened. It could have been personal or a targeted attack on an authority apparatus. You notice the article doesn't state the ammo/gun used. Why aren't they releasing ballistics? Homicide is on the scene and they don't know the caliber of bullet? Ya right. The female officer returned fire but didn't know what make the car was? You also see how Nickels grandstanded and made a comment after his nice parks ban. Rather convenient. Watch out for some more legislation to come through here in a month or so because of this. Possibly trying to bring the Kalifornia ammo laws North maybe?

This could be a swipe at the cops by someone fedup, looking to make an example of the Seattle bureaucracy. Could be a gang member initiation (highly doubtful). Could be a drunk suburban white kid. The article paints the valiant picture of of police when the police are nothing but.

It should be a lesson to anyone, no matter what's on your chest. You're still mortal. You piss someone off enough and they'll kill you. And anyone can be gotten too with enough patience and will.

And if it was random, well that just reinforces the argument for the public to be armed. As it could of been granny going to the store.

So what? The point is;

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top