JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has violence in seattle always been pretty bad

No, Seattle is a pretty peaceable big city.

Has violence in seattle always been pretty bad or am i just hearing about it now because im on this website

Probably yes. This is the first Seattle officer killed in 15 years. This is not a normal occurrence.

updated 4:04 p.m. PT, Sun., Nov . 1, 2009

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33571716/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

SEATTLE - Few clues have emerged from a drive-by shooting that left an eight-year veteran Seattle police officer dead and a trainee injured on Halloween night.

Investigators on Sunday fielded tips, interviewed potential witnesses and scoured through video tapes for evidence that would lead them to the assailant or assailants. They have not yet identified a suspect or the suspect's vehicle, nor have they determined what kind of weapon was used.

Killed was field training officer Timothy Brenton, 39. Rookie officer Britt Sweeney, 33, suffered a minor injury. The two were discussing a routine traffic stop while parked in the mostly residential Central District, east of downtown Seattle, when their police cruiser was suddenly struck several times by gunfire shortly after 10 p.m., officials said.

Assistant Police Chief Jim Pugel said Brenton died instantly. Sweeney ducked, and a bullet grazed her back. She then called for help and returned fire, Pugel said.

"This is an assassination, and every resource is being used to bring it to a conclusion," Pugel said.

Brenton became the city's first officer killed in the line of duty since 2006, and Saturday's shooting was the first intentional homicide of an officer since 1994, police officials said.

Pugel said there had been no threats against Brenton and no indication the assailants were looking for him.

Sweeney was taken to the hospital but was later released and is at home. She joined the force about six months ago, and had graduated from the academy just weeks ago.

Brenton had been with the department for eight years. He is survived by his wife and two children, ages 11 and 8, officials said. His father and uncle are retired Seattle police officers.

"Everybody loved him," the officer's uncle, Jon Brenton of Kingston, Wash., told The Seattle Times. "I don't think there was any reason anybody would come after him."

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels described the shooting as "cold-blooded."

"Our community is in shock at this brutal and senseless crime," Nickels said. "The killing of someone who protects our public safety is universally condemned, and our city is united in rejecting this violence and supporting the men and women in uniform. "

In August 2006, rookie officer Joselito Barber was killed when a woman drove her sport utility vehicle through a red light and broadsided his patrol car.

In 1994, officer Antonio Terry was shot and killed after stopping behind a disabled vehicle, according to the Seattle Police Officers' Guild.

Could also be the perpetrator didn't know cops were in the vhehicle, the article said the car was parked... Maybe they just wanted to shoot up the car for drunken fun? FBI took down a Muslim gang last week and killed their leader, maybe a little random frustrated payback? But hey if this guy's name turns out to be Muhammed or Sayeed then its definitely a random act of violence just like when they killed two Army soldiers at a recruiting station or shoot up the Israeli ticket counter at LAX, or sniping people in D.C. Not terrorism, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....:(

Ya mean terrorists like this:

{A New York court has ruled against allowing a Syrian-born Canadian to sue US authorities over his mistaken 2002 arrest for alleged terrorism links.

Maher Arar was held at New York's John F Kennedy airport following erroneous advice from Canadian officials that he had links to Islamic militants.

Mr Arar was then flown to Syria where he claims he was tortured, something which Syrian authorities deny.

In a statement, Mr Arar described the US ruling as a loss to the rule of law.

After exonerating him in 2007, Canadian authorities paid him 10.5m Canadian dollars (US$8.9m; £4.54m) in compensation.

Mr Arar is now seeking redress from the US, arguing that he was a victim of "extraordinary rendition", a process in which terrorism suspects are transferred to foreign countries for harsh interrogation.

But the New York court ruled that it was not authorized to intervene in the case.

"If a civil remedy in damages is to be created for harms suffered in the context of extraordinary rendition, it must be created by Congress," the court said in a written statement.

Mr Arar's lawyers say they will now take the case to the US Supreme Court. }

There are no terrorists. Just people getting pushed around and killed that are getting more and more pissed off with no reason to live.

There are no terrorists. Just people getting pushed around and killed that are getting more and more pissed off with no reason to live.

Well I guess it depends on your definition of Terrorism.
Webster's Dictionary defines it as "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion".
One of the definitions of "terror" is " violent or destructive acts (as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands."

If you don't want to get into political diatribes then how about a basic definition of friend and enemy. I would call someone who murders a police officer an enemy. I would hope that my govt would kill said enemy.

As far as being disturbed about things the govt does to make people angry. Join the club. Mr Arar's treatment was a horrible mistake but he is using the legal system to oppose what he believes to be wrong. People make choices, if one chooses to oppose the govt violently, they are an enemy of said govt. Oh, and if you think I'm a racist, you are wrong. I'm Japanese American and know racism. Also, if I was alive during WW2 and the US govt decided to send me off to an internment camp... I guess I would be a terrorist...:(

Shel kek nem ron:)

{A New York court has ruled against allowing a Syrian-born Canadian to sue US authorities over his mistaken 2002 arrest for alleged terrorism links.

Maher Arar was held at New York's John F Kennedy airport following erroneous advice from Canadian officials that he had links to Islamic militants.

Mr Arar was then flown to Syria where he claims he was tortured, something which Syrian authorities deny.

In a statement, Mr Arar described the US ruling as a loss to the rule of law.

After exonerating him in 2007, Canadian authorities paid him 10.5m Canadian dollars (US$8.9m; £4.54m) in compensation.

Mr Arar is now seeking redress from the US, arguing that he was a victim of "extraordinary rendition", a process in which terrorism suspects are transferred to foreign countries for harsh interrogation.

But the New York court ruled that it was not authorized to intervene in the case.

"If a civil remedy in damages is to be created for harms suffered in the context of extraordinary rendition, it must be created by Congress," the court said in a written statement.

Mr Arar's lawyers say they will now take the case to the US Supreme Court. }

Yes, he got "pushed around" a sad state of affairs, and has good reasons to be "pissed off" but, he didn't get "killed" didn't kill anybody, and has 10.5 million "reasons to live"...

$60,000 offered to help catch Seattle cop killer

<broken link removed>

The Associated Press
SEATTLE &#8212;

Police say they have no new information on a suspect or motive in the shooting death of a Seattle police officer as he sat in a parked patrol car on Halloween night.

The reward for information to help catch the killer of Officer Timothy Brenton is now up to $60,000.

Brenton was a training officer reviewing a traffic stop with rookie Officer Britt Sweeney when a car pulled alongside. Brenton was shot in the head and died at the scene. Sweeney was grazed in the neck but was able to return fire as a small, light-colored car sped away.

Brenton's memorial service is set for 1 p.m. Friday at Seattle's Key Arena. A fund has been set up for his family. Donations may be made at any Bank of America to the "Brenton Family Assistance Fund."

There was a gangland episode on the history channel about the los zetas gang that is all military trained and recuit kids to do their killing.
They have done a lot of murders here in the U.S. and work with all the local street gangs to supply and sell drugs. It amazing how they have spread across the U.S. and into our backyards.

They said in this story the gang has killed numerous LEOs, judges, you name it. But that's the way Mexico works. The drugs cartels run everything and either the police look the other way or their whole family is gun down.
The DEA and ATF said it's hard for regular street cops to deal with gangs that work like a military operation, but without the ROE

There was a gangland episode on the history channel about the los zetas gang that is all military trained and recuit kids to do their killing.
They have done a lot of murders here in the U.S. and work with all the local street gangs to supply and sell drugs. It amazing how they have spread across the U.S. and into our backyards.

They said in this story the gang has killed numerous LEOs, judges, you name it. But that's the way Mexico works. The drugs cartels run everything and either the police look the other way or their whole family is gun down.
The DEA and ATF said it's hard for regular street cops to deal with gangs that work like a military operation, but without the ROE

Is that the one that had the two teenagers in texas as hitmen. They talked about making a stew of some people. They were some sick bazterdz

For 60k I'll help out. It was 40k like yesterday so I smell a rat on this one.

Anyone want to work on this and split the bounty? I'm serious and have resources. Anyone good at water boarding?

I know for a fact that usually they lie about the reward though in order to try and get people close to the perp to turn him in.

$60,000 offered to help catch Seattle cop killer

<broken link removed>

The Associated Press
SEATTLE —

Police say they have no new information on a suspect or motive in the shooting death of a Seattle police officer as he sat in a parked patrol car on Halloween night.

The reward for information to help catch the killer of Officer Timothy Brenton is now up to $60,000.

Brenton was a training officer reviewing a traffic stop with rookie Officer Britt Sweeney when a car pulled alongside. Brenton was shot in the head and died at the scene. Sweeney was grazed in the neck but was able to return fire as a small, light-colored car sped away.

Brenton's memorial service is set for 1 p.m. Friday at Seattle's Key Arena. A fund has been set up for his family. Donations may be made at any Bank of America to the "Brenton Family Assistance Fund."

$85,000 offered to help catch Seattle cop killer

The Seattle Police Officers Guild says the reward for information to help catch the killer of Officer Timothy Brenton has grown to $85,000.

The Associated Press
SEATTLE &#8212;

The Seattle Police Officers Guild says the reward for information to help catch the killer of Officer Timothy Brenton has grown to $85,000.

Police say they have no new information on a suspect or motive in Brenton's shooting death as he sat in a parked patrol car on Halloween night.

Brenton's memorial service is set for 1 p.m. Friday at Seattle's Key Arena. A fund has been set up for his family. Donations may be made at any Bank of America to the "Brenton Family Assistance Fund.

<broken link removed>

Is that the one that had the two teenagers in texas as hitmen. They talked about making a stew of some people. They were some sick bazterdz

Yeah those people are messed up in the head. There was also a guy whose daughter was missing and was getting a lot of publicity so the los zetas sent like 6 or 8 militants with full auto machine guns across the border to kill him and his family. Luckily the border patrol caught them and somehow didn't get killed.
But I'm sure those full atuo machine guns they got from the U.S......Right.

The news also said the car pulled up from behind, then backed away, after the shooting. Apparently not much description of the vehicle and no plate. They thought it was a planned hit.

I just heard from a friend of mine who is a trooper in Seattle that they found, shot and captued Ofc. Brenton slayer. He is alive but it is reported that there maybe another person that police are seeking

Update: Seattle PD was the apprehending agency and he was shot in the torso

GREAT WORK SPD!

Last Edited:
If its him it truly is amazing how quickly they found him. They talked a lot about cameras in shops and on the street. Just wondering what peoples opinions are about having a "Big Brother" society like England does with their cameras everywhere.

Just wondering what peoples opinions are about having a "Big Brother" society like England does with their cameras everywhere.

I have a problem with government installing cameras, as they have in London.

However I am okay with private parties having security cameras, which law enforcement may obtain the videos from, with proper warrants of course.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top