JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I only really reload for my precision rifle, and one of the things that drives me crazy is the seat, measure, adjust, seat, measure, <repeat>. To get to whatever exact Ogive measurement I've worked out works best. Currently I measure down to the thousandths.

I already use a RCBS Competition Seating Die, which enables me to back off the die, seat, measure, and adjust as needed. But it would sure as heck nice if there was a die which had a built in real-time measuring device so as you seat you can watch the actual depth.

Anyone see anything like that on the market?

I know of nothing like that.

Do you have a micrometer top on your seating die? So you are saying you want to adjust the die for every bullet you seat? That is going overboard, I think. :) I doubt even benchresters do something like that. They just put up with a little variation in seating depth, and minimizing that by buying quality bullets that are as close to being identical as is possible.

What tool are you using to measure seating depth?

I tend to get small variations in the SMK HPBT I use. The RCBS Competition Seating Die allows me to backoff the built in micrometer built into the die, I drop the projectile into the open port then seat. Measure using Ogive with a Hornady comparator in my digital caliper.

As for what benchresters do, some of them are really crazy. I don't metplate my rounds, or polish the inside of the cases, or any number of other things.

Maybe measure Bullets at ogive and group accordingly when loading them into cases. Then you only need to adjust a few times.

I see what you are getting at, using a standard press is probably not what you want. Try an arbor press.

The RCBS Competition Seating Die allows me to backoff the built in micrometer built into the die, I drop the projectile into the open port then seat. Measure using Ogive with a Hornady comparator in my digital caliper.

And then you adjust the mic and seat it again? And you repeat these steps with every single round? If so then this is going overboard.

Yes, there is variation between where the seater contacts the bullet, and the place where the ogive meets the bore. But it ain't much, and outside of benchrest (if even there) it ain't worth worrying about.

Keep in mind that if you are doing minor adjustments to seating depth, you are having to deal with the difference between the static and dynamic coefficients of friction. Bullets should be moving into the case until they stop. Adding a couple thousandths more is difficult to do reliably.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top