JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As a newbie, I am wanting to know how to cleanly remove screws that have been punch set. I have an Arisaka that has not been disassembled and Could use a thorough cleaning.
I am sure there is a good way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You just remove them. The material that has been peened over will give and just run the screw out. When you put them back use a centerpunch with a rounded nub to re lock them in place.

The good news is that they set the punch in the screw slot.
I would find a small angled chisel and grind it to fit the slot and then try to set the expanded metal back outwards towards the collar.
Then drop some threading tapping grade oil (high sulfur content) into the threads and with a screw driver that fits the screw slot perfectly, work the screw back and forth to clean up the threads as you back it out.

Not necessary. Likely to cause more damage than good trying to use a cold chisel to push that material around. Really, the metal is soft, it will move right out on its own reducing much of the deformation, A good fitting straight blade screwdriver, not a taper tip, is required for sure.

Thanks, turned out smoothly! Thanks for all the ideas. Thought it would be an issue but all came out easily. The old Arisaka is clean and happy now. Time to try to aquire some 7.7 Jap ammo to try it out.

Thanks for the guidance, might pick some up to start. Picked up a 7.7 jap die set, I don't reload but will look for someone local that does. I hear 30-06 shells can be made to work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top