JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't loaded stick powder in a while. Loaded up some 6ARC using AA2495 that I found at Sportsmans. It's supposed to be very similar to IMR4895.

Anyways, I've got good case capacity and there was an audible jiggle still at my max load. So it's not compressed, yet!

The crunch of the powder though when seating bullets is what always gets me. It's similar to someone scratching their nails against chalkboard.

Anyone else get hairs too stand up seating stick powder?

Before seating the bullet, try touching the case with an electric toothbrush for a few seconds. The vibrations may compact the powder and give you more bullet seating space.

Bruce

I actually find the crunching noise pleasant. To each their own. I do find that stick powders, for me, don't meter as well as I'd like so they tend to be loaded via the slow camel to Iceland

A Sonicare works best.
However, I've found that using a long drop tube generally eliminates the need. On occasion, I take my cartridge case, cover the case mouth and tap the case on the table - the powder will settle.

Otherwise, I don't chase speed any more, and almost never do 100% or overfill where I will hear a crunch.

I actually find the crunching noise pleasant. To each their own. I do find that stick powders, for me, don't meter as well as I'd like so they tend to be loaded via the slow camel to Iceland
Definitely doesn't meter for poop. I usually have to trickle the last grain in. If I went by my powder drop alone I'd be wildly all over the place.
Before seating the bullet, try touching the case with an electric toothbrush for a few seconds. The vibrations may compact the powder and give you more bullet seating space.

Bruce
I see @Stomper liked this post, yet surprisingly didn't mention other things that vibrate as a response!;)
A Sonicare works best.
However, I've found that using a long drop tube generally eliminates the need. On occasion, I take my cartridge case, cover the case mouth and tap the case on the table - the powder will settle.

Otherwise, I don't chase speed any more, and almost never do 100% or overfill where I will hear a crunch.
The 6arc likes the top end. I've gotten the best SDs the close to our over published data. With 2495, there ain't no data. So I'm starting low. Still doesn't help with crunchy stuff considering how freaking long the bullets are.

I haven't loaded stick powder in a while. Loaded up some 6ARC using AA2495 that I found at Sportsmans. It's supposed to be very similar to IMR4895.

Anyways, I've got good case capacity and there was an audible jiggle still at my max load. So it's not compressed, yet!

The crunch of the powder though when seating bullets is what always gets me. It's similar to someone scratching their nails against chalkboard.

Anyone else get hairs too stand up seating stick powder?
Rather, I take comfort in the fact that 1) it is not black powder, 2) that the charge is held against the flash hole and 3) if the powder cannot jiggle, the burn rate coating is not damaged or removed from the kernels.

Definitely doesn't meter for poop. I usually have to trickle the last grain in. If I went by my powder drop alone I'd be wildly all over the place.

I see @Stomper liked this post, yet surprisingly didn't mention other things that vibrate as a response!;)

The 6arc likes the top end. I've gotten the best SDs the close to our over published data. With 2495, there ain't no data. So I'm starting low. Still doesn't help with crunchy stuff considering how freaking long the bullets are.
Well truth be told, I was going to mention the thread title caught my eye and I was going to reply with:

"What its like listening to my ex-wife talk."

But I did not want to derail your thread, and I always like to acknowledge a clever idea when I see it!

Last Edited:
Well truth be told, I was going to mention the thread title caught my eye and I was going to reply withWell truth be told, I was going to mention the thread title caught my eye and I was going to reply:

"What its like listening to my ex-wife talk."

But I did not want to derail your friend, and I always like to acknowledge a clever idea when I see it!
Or as I like to say "hearing your voice is like chewing tinfoil."

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads