JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know I probably won't be able to make this scratch be gone on my Ruger Blackhawk New Model .... but is there a way to polish it up some without hurting the gun ? THANKS for any help .

DSC00212 (3).JPG

if you shoot it, leave the scratch. if you are wanting to sell it for the best return, polish it out. if you are using it most likely more will come.

You guys work WAY to frickin hard, this is what you need, Nothing else! Quit wastin the cash and wastin the elbow grease!
1654755007244.png
You can find it on line easy, or for the really cool cats, there is a slightly more aggressive version you can score at the local truck stops and custom shops, might pay a little more, but it's really the best metal polish there is on the whole planet, and most of the inner galaxy!

Scotch-brite pads to blend, depending on the depth of the scratch you may need to use 600 or greater sandpaper first to remove the scratches. I would not use the polishing pastes unless I were going to polish the whole gun.

Use A 3M Scotch Brite 7447 pad. Maroon color. You can get these off Amazon. I have used these successfully to remove scratches off stainless pistols that have a satin brushed finish. Just start lightly, stroke in one direction with the finish grain.

Only AFTER you heat the scratched spot up to cherry-red and then take a coarse half-round file to it!

;):D
Arc is out - but I think a Mig welder would fill that right in.
Seriously, depends on how deep it is. To make it disappear, the surrounding metal must be brought down to the level of the scratch. Can't tell, but if it goes into the metal some, you might stop by a shop that does refinishing, as they polish scratches out regularly. As you can see. the OEM polish has a grain to it. If you polish against the grain, it will stand out, as will a different grit in the polish. Might even call or email Ruger.

Scotch-brite pads to blend, depending on the depth of the scratch you may need to use 600 or greater sandpaper first to remove the scratches. I would not use the polishing pastes unless I were going to polish the whole gun.
Bingo! Trust me this is it.. Its hard to tell and I'm not familiar but if what your saying is true than one of the various colors of scotchbrite is your friend.

Also yeah? Your talking about the turning ring? If its a shooter I'd just leave it. It will only come back.

My one ruger Mk pistol had some light scratches on it scotch brite made the pistol look literally brand new.

Good luck.

Its not easy to tell but it looks like you'll need to do some wet sanding with 400-600 grit black sand paper then use a stainless wire brush or an abrasive pad to match the finish. For someone with the right supplies and experience its a 10-15 minute job.

Oh shoot I'm sorry, I should have actually looked first. I saw the little scratch on the cylinder and figured that was the focus of the topic.
"Burnish" it with the likes of a carbide rod or ceramic knife sharpener if you have one first. -displace the metal back to where it came from first. Then work on the finish. Looks kinda deep though. :(

How deep is it (roughly)?

Take the part off the gun and bring it to the wheels. A few minutes buffing and polishing, you will never know it happened. There is always a bit of risk with these new investment cast parts, should this happen to be one.

Take the part off the gun and bring it to the wheels. A few minutes buffing and polishing, you will never know it happened. There is always a bit of risk with these new investment cast parts, should this happen to be one.
Its the frame... Would be too easy to slip and make it worse, and even if you don't slip it could leave a "warble" in the perfectly spherical shape it would stand out like a sore thumb.
Check out the pick.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads